ADS Local server for Clipper apps?

ADS Local server for Clipper apps?

Postby reinaldocrespo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi.

Does anybody know if the ADS local server is also available to fw+clipper 5.3 apps?

Thank you,

Reinaldo Crespo-Bazán
reinaldocrespo

Postby R.F. » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:52 pm

Reinaldo:

Nop, Local server along with ADT table formats, and all the ADS SQL stuff are only available for 32 bits applications.
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby reinaldocrespo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Rene;

Thanks for your reply.

BTW -- I've been using the local server for testing of my xharbour apps. I plan to place an order for the 50 user lic for one of my customers today.

I have a couple of other questions related to AIS:

1. I like to use a lot of browses, I suppose that browsing of very large dbfs, would be very slow.

2. I like to use incremental searches on browses. How would that affect the speed when connected via the AIS?

What alternatives do you suggest to these two problems?

Best,

Reinaldo
reinaldocrespo

Postby R.F. » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 pm

reinaldocrespo wrote:
1. I like to use a lot of browses, I suppose that browsing of very large dbfs, would be very slow.

No Way !!!!, I have a program that actually browses 24 databases AT THE SAME TIME, database size are abot 200,000 records and they are pretty damn fast.

The secret is to open ALL THE FILES you are going to need at the begining of the application, and let all the files opened until you close the app.

ADS only deploys the exactly amount of record images you need. For example if your browse only shows 20 lines, ADS wil provide you 20 lines of data, no matter that you dbf has millions of records and you will recieve the data needed as you move over the file. If you wish to "read ahead" data, in order to have it ready when you perform a page-up/page-down action, you can use ADSCacheRecords() function to indicate how many records does ADS have to read in advance.

reinaldocrespo wrote:2. I like to use incremental searches on browses. How would that affect the speed when connected via the AIS?

He he he, Incremental searches are solved by the server itself, so you don't have to worry about speed, all the searches no matter if the server is local, remote or internet are solved at leats ten times faster than the way (x)Harbour does with the RDD, you may experiment some delay specially in the Internet server if you have to do too many jumps to reach the server you want, my best advice in these cases is to use a VPN, having a VPN you will have a speed similar to you LAN.
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby reinaldocrespo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Pues bien!

Todo resuelto ( o listo el pollo como diría Vikthor).

Te daré noticias cuando tenga todo listo.

Recibe un saludo,

Reinaldo.
reinaldocrespo

Return to FiveWin for CA-Clipper