PRNSetCopies() failure in FW 2.5

PRNSetCopies() failure in FW 2.5

Postby Badara Thiam » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:40 am

Hi all,

Do you know how set the number of copies to print more than one ?

Thank for your help
Badara Thiam
http://www.icim.fr
Badara Thiam

Re: PRNSetCopies() failure in FW 2.5

Postby Badara Thiam » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:46 am

EnricoMaria wrote:Just use a loop.

EMG

This is possible like that, but today there are many printers
who support multi-copies. In this way, there is only one
copie writted on the disk by the printer spooler.

The way you recommend is an alternative who can
reduce to 0 the space free on disk, if you have many pages
to print, for sample 100 copies of 50 pages who contain images.
Badara Thiam
Badara Thiam

Postby James Bott » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:36 am

It could be that particular printer driver doesn't support multiple copies. Have you tried another different printer?

Also there are a lot of drivers now that are incompatible with the FW/Clipper 16bit printer interface. The only solution to this is to upgrade to 32bit.

And the new windows Vista won't run 16bit apps, so you need to upgrade to 32bit soon anyway.

James
James Bott

Postby Badara Thiam » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:06 am

James Bott wrote:It could be that particular printer driver doesn't support multiple copies. Have you tried another different printer?

Also there are a lot of drivers now that are incompatible with the FW/Clipper 16bit printer interface. The only solution to this is to upgrade to 32bit.

And the new windows Vista won't run 16bit apps, so you need to upgrade to 32bit soon anyway.

James

Clipper DOS, combined with PageScript (Abee Labs Inc, Canada) work correctly.

I have rewritted some Fivewin print functions who work only
with WIN.INI. This is obsolete under XP. I take the list of printers, the port
and the driver name directly in the register. This work on all printers of
my users, but not the multi-copies. I want to find a way to adress it.

Few years ago many developpers said "16 will be obsolete under 2000, XP" but it's not true today. Perhaps this is just hoax from Microsoft and
others to push us to buy new, new, always new products.
Badara Thiam
Badara Thiam

Postby Otto » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:27 pm

Hello James,
my fist tests show that FW 16 works with VISTA Beta 2.
Where do you have your info from?
Regards
Otto
Otto

Postby James Bott » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:45 pm

Otto,

I read Vista wouldn't support 16bit apps several times, but if you have run them under Vista, then it doesn't much matter what I read.

I still can't think of any reason to develop 16bit apps rather than 32bit ones, and I can think of a number of reasons not to.

James
James Bott

Postby Gilbert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 am

Hi guys,

Just strolling along the forum I came across this one, which I find very interesting. I am a Clipper maniac since 1988. I went true Summer 87, Cliper 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3a, b, c and d.

As years go buy I heard about 200,000 that Windows 2000 would not support DOS and 16Bits apps. Then when XP came along, same story.
Still I have many customer who still uses my old DOS applications and they work fine.

The fact is that Microsoft cannot discard at their will everything that has been developped over the years. First they don`t have the right to do so, second they are not crazy. They may try to discourage the developer to use old languages or may encourage the developper to go to new technologies, but I don`t think they would dare do it.

I can tell you that many major enterprises, all over the world, still uses old DOS applications that cost a fortue in developpement and maintenance and are often reluctant od going true a redevelopement of a Windows application. The cost of developpement, installation, configuration and training is sometime so heavy.

In conclusion, I would be very suprised if Microsoft would cut the rope of 16Bits applications. Anyway I`ll beleive it when I see it.

Regards, :)
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Gilbert » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:14 am

Hi again,

I`ts true some printers don`t support multi copies commands. But most of the laser printers do.

I don`t agree that only 32 bits applications will resolve this issue. I am able to bo so whit an old Clipper DOS application by controling the printer within my application using printer escape codes. Nad it works fine.

So why a Windows appilcation could not do so ? Maybe because the so called Windows language rely to much on Windows explotation system.
Why not provide functions that would allow the programmer to control the printer as he wishes, just like the DOS way...

Windows may be nice for the user but not always nice to the programmer...

Regards, :?:
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Return to FiveWin for CA-Clipper