get valid clause options

get valid clause options

Postby brewster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 am

Currently using Clipper, I have several "gets" each using a valid clause of AD_tbrpopup (Frankie.lib ).

This popup listbox displays all Code and company fields within a .dbf file .

"Code" is a 3 character uppercase user defined code representing the corresponding long company name field.

When the user enters the get they can incrementally search each character of the code for the desired entry.

The user can only select codes already within the .dbf file, that is maintained elsewhere.

So far, I have tryed combobox gets, but I only want to select the 3 digit code while at the same time viewing the long company name.

What FWH utility would easily accomplish this requirement, TWbrowse ??

08/21/12 4:30pm CST
I've kept on searching and have found DBcombo (samples\Testdbc1.prg) , will explore.

Bruce S.

FWH - 12.06 Jun 2012
Harbour - 3.1.0 Rev. 17222
bcc582
Clipper - 5.3b
brewster

Re: get valid clause options

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:29 am

Bruce,

Yes, you may use DbCombo or use ( @ | REDEFINE ) GET ... ACTION ... and open a dialog with a browse ( twbrowse or txbrowse ) from there
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Re: get valid clause options

Postby James Bott » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:16 am

Bruce,

I think forcing users to deal with codes is the wrong approach. The customer won't know the code so all they can provide is their name. So, the user only has a name and must somehow remember or lookup a code.

A much better approach is to just have the application allow the user to lookup the name and deal with the code invisibly in the background.

Our job is the make things easier for the user not more difficult.

Regards,
James
James Bott

Return to FiveWin for CA-Clipper