Printers, Printers, Printers...

Printers, Printers, Printers...

Postby Gilbert » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone can tell me, since Antonio Linares can`t, why DeviceCapabilities(), GetDeviceCaps() and DevMode don`t work at all !!!

I`ve been struggling whit these 3 functions for the past year and can`t get nothing out of them. Why ?

And please, don`t suggest me to use TPrinter CLASS. It does not work properly either.

Regards, :x
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby R.F. » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 am

I guess there should be a problem with the 16 bits stuff and the USB printers, but is an issue for the 16 bits app.

Have you tried it on 32 bits ?
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby Gilbert » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:38 am

Hi,

Not yet, but I`m trying to port to xHarbour & FiveWinH. I still have things to solve like modify my personal library, figure out what`s the problem with xBuild that will not compile my application, redo all my resource in 32 bits and a few other things. This will take a few weeks and I`m affraid that these functions still won`t work.

Regards
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Gilbert » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:48 am

Hi again,

Actually I am not yet testing with USB printers, just local and network printers.

I found Badara Thiam, on the forum concerning this problem. He had made a tremendous job in trying, like me to find a work around to this problem. With Windows 98 it is posible and quite simple to solve a big part of this problem by using Windows register. But for Win 2000 and XP it is absolutely crazy. So I had to forget this idea and try to find something else. Also had the idea of using API Calls, but I don`t know enough about Windows API. I left a message to Antonio about this, but again no reply.

So I`m left alone with my problem and I`m kind of deseperated...

I just want to find a solution to a problem that seem to be unresolvable.

Regard,
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Re: Printers, Printers, Printers...

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:58 am

Gilbert wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone can tell me, since Antonio Linares can`t, why DeviceCapabilities(), GetDeviceCaps() and DevMode don`t work at all !!!

I don't use Clipper/Fivewin anymore but my Clipper/Fivewin apps did print just fine. I think you may have a bugged printer driver. Try updating it or installing a generic one.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Gilbert » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:11 am

Hi Enrico,

I don `t have a corrupted driver or whatever. It never worked on any PC with any Priter for the past 3 years. It`s not a printer driver it`s a BUG.

Regards,
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:52 am

Gilbert wrote:Hi Enrico,

I don `t have a corrupted driver or whatever. It never worked on any PC with any Priter for the past 3 years. It`s not a printer driver it`s a BUG.

Regards,

Are you saying that I was just lucky? :-) Please note that you seem to be the only one that is having printing problem with FW 16bit, or am I wrong?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Gilbert » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Enrico,

I`m not saying I have problem printing. I`m saying that DevMode(), DeviceCaps() and GetDeviceCaps() are resulting erroneaus results.

Regards,
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:07 am

I`m not saying I have problem printing. I`m saying that DevMode(), DeviceCaps() and GetDeviceCaps() are resulting erroneaus results.

Regards,

I don't know what DeviceCaps() is but the others are just direct wrappers to the Windows API. Look:

Code: Select all  Expand view
#ifdef __HARBOUR__
   CLIPPER GETDEVICECAPS( PARAMS )     //  ()    HDC, int iIndex
#else
   CLIPPER GETDEVICEC( PARAMS )     //  APS()    HDC, int iIndex
#endif
{
   _retnl( GetDeviceCaps( ( HDC ) _parnl( 1 ), _parni( 2 ) ) );
}

Then one of the two: the API is wrong or the driver is bugged. Nothing that FW can solve.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Gilbert » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi Enrico,

I agree with you up to a certain point.

If the API is wrong or the Driver is bugged, then it`s true that FW can`t do anything about it. In this case, that would mean that I have 7 PC`s plus 3 Servers connected to 3 Laser printers, 1 InkJet printer and 1 Matrix printer that have either an API problem or bugged printer drivers. Furthermore the test I`m doing on my Network has also been done on other (Customers) Network. Again that would mean that everyone has an API problem or bugged drivers no matter the OS used or Printers used...Hummmm!

So in this case, is there an explaination :( why other languages like VB can retreive DevMode info without any problems, using the same computers and printers... ?

Over the past 3 years I came up often with messages concerning 3 functions (DeviceCapabilities(), GetDeviceCaps() and DevMode()). Unfortunately it seems that these 3 functions are somehow lost in the dark cause nobody has been using them. But there is one person that can really clarify this mistery. I`m sure he has seen all the threads I left on the forums. I even sent personal message to him, but never got a reply on this matter. :evil:

My question is simple. Do they work properly or not ? Someone somewhere must have the answer.

I really apreciate you take time trying to help out.

Regards
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Can you show us a reduced and self-contained sample showing the problem, please?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Gilbert » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:10 am

Hi Enrico,

For now I`m quite busy finishing up another application, but I will post a sample file illustrating the problem as soon as I can.

Regards,
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:52 am

Thank you.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Badara Thiam » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:08 pm

Regards,

I have exactly the same problem with this functions Gilbert,
since the day i have purchased FW 2.5 and FWH 2.5.
I have reported these bugs to Antonio there is o long time,
nobody do nothing to solve this.

So, i have rewritted some "obsoletes" functions of fivewin
to work properly, and some changes in TPrinter() class.
And this work today, on 98 like XP.
What problem have you under 2000 with my functions ?

Sure, you have not access to the datas you look before
to buy Fivewin.

I don't speak about FWH, i can do nothing with...
One product for the price of two.

Now, i am waiting level zero bug before to see.

Regards,
Badara Thiam
http://www.icim.fr
Badara Thiam

Postby Gilbert » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:34 am

Bonjour Badara,

Je n`ai aucun problèmes avec tes fonctions, si tu parles de celles qui remplacent la recherche ses imprimantes sous Windows. Je travail présentement à développer une classe qui permettra de retracer les imprimantes actives sous Windows à partir de la base de registre. Je te remercie pour les sources que tu as poster sur le forum elles ont été une source d`inspiration. Je n`utilise pas ces fonctions telles que tu as publiées, mais l`idée derrière ces fonctions m`ont grandement aider à découvrir une méthode de contourner Fivewin.

J`étais rendu au point de récupérer les information (DevMode) des imprimantes configurées sous Windows. Malheureusement les fonctions de Fivewin qui devrait permettre d`y parvenir n`ont pas l`air de fonctionner correctement. J`ai alors mis beaucoup de temps à décrotiquer la base de régistre de Windows pour découvrir que sous Win2000 et WinXP il est relativement facile d`extraire ces informations. Malheur, impossible d`en faire autant sous Win98. Je suis donc revenu à la casse départ encore un fois.

Tout comme toi, nombreux sont les messages que j`ai laisser sans jamais avoir de réponse. Même le principal concerné (AL) n`a jamais oser répondre. Pourquoi ? Je n`en sais rien, mais je crois qu`il ne veut pas se foutre dans la m...

Malheureusement, j`ai dû laisser ce travail de côté pour un certain temps, le temps de régler une autre situation tout aussi complexe que celle des imprimantes.

Entretemps je suis tombé sur de l`information intéressante concernant un autre interface GUI qui semble très intéressante. Je fait présentement des test avec cette dernière. Une fois ces tests terminés je devrai prendre une décision à savoir si je reste avec Fivewin ou non. En passant ce sont des gens de chez toi. Je ne peux révéler le nom du produit sur ce forum, mais si tu me laisse ton E-Mail je te ferai parvenir l`information discrètement.

Mon but est de transféré mes applications en 32Bits. Jusqu`à présent je me suis cogné le nez à de nombreux obstacles. Même si ont dit que FWH n`a pas les problèmes de Fivewin, je n`y crois pas. Le peu de test que j`ai fait avec FWH ont été aussi pénible qu`avec Fivewin. La syntax nèst pas mieux, la documentation non plus et toutes les fonctions qui ne fonctiones pas bien sous Fivewin ne fonctionnent pas plus sous FWH.

Depuis trois ans que j`y travaille, la seule solution que je vois en bout de ligne est de réécrire toutes classe de Fivewin. Ce qui ne m`interesse pas.
Alors, comme je disais précédemment, je fais présentement des test qui vont peut me faire quitter le monde de Fivewin.

De toute façon, j`en ai raz le bol de me battre avec un language qui ne fonctionne pas à moitié.

Regards,

Gilbert
Gilbert Vaillancourt
turbolog@videotron.ca
Gilbert

Next

Return to FiveWin for CA-Clipper