getting started with linux (fwlinux)

getting started with linux (fwlinux)

Postby Richard Chidiak » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:51 am

Hello ,

I plan to start working with Linux and fw

i have no linux equipment at all at the moment. I have vista and xp pcs,

i would like your advice, a new computer dedicated to linux ? what capacity memory, hard disk ?

an external bootable hd where a linux system is installed can be another option ?

Is there a way to have dual boots on a computer

Sorry to ask all those questions but i prefer taking good advices before starting and i am sure you habe been through this before.

Thanks for your time,

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Richard Chidiak

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:13 am

Richard,

There are several possibilities as you comment.

My advise is to add a new internal harddisk and use it for Linux, having dual boot. Its quite easy to do it, and then you can run Linux with its real speed (no emulators, etc.).

In my computers I use five different operating systems (in three different harddisks) so I know a little about multiple boots :-)

Open your computer and disconnect the Windows harddisk. Thats the safest option to proceed. Then plug the new harddisk on a different connector (i.e. if you use SATA1 for Windows, use SATA2 for Linux).

Then download Ubuntu (1 CD) and boot from it (live) and it shows an option to install it on the harddisk (its an icon in the desktop). Do it. Once Ubuntu is installed and running, (turn off the computer) go and plug again the Windows harddisk.

Now you can choose to boot from Windows and jump to Linux from Windows boot, or viceversa, boot from Linux and jump to Windows. Both options are fine. I prefer to use Linux boot as it is more friendly.

If your Windows harddisk is the one that you use for development, always do a backup first for security reasons. There will be no risks, but do it, anyhow.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Richard

Welcome to the club!

Dual booting works OK but at the price of PC hardware these days why not just use a separate PC to run linux if you are going to use it a fair bit.

Are you planning to migrate existing FiveWin code to FiveLinux? There are a few differences (depending upon how you coded in FiveWin) and a few less features.

For example the PIXEL clause is not supported, but its easy to add if you want to. I have added a number of additional features (with Antonio's help) that may or may not be useful to you.

The more of us using FiveLinux the more time Antonio can spend on it and the more user code can be contributed.

Regards
Doug
(xProgrammer)
xProgrammer

Postby Richard Chidiak » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

Hi Doug

Yes i intend to join the club,

I will purchase a new hardware this week for this purpose.

I am brand new to linux i will certainely have "beginners" questions, bare with me.

I intend to port my application (if possible) to have a linux version. This is the ultimate objective.

I will certainely be looking forward for your help,

Regards

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Richard Chidiak

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Doug,

The pixel clause is supported since long time ago :-)

Please review my other post related with this issue, thanks
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to FiveLinux / FiveDroid (Android)