FiveLinux wiki

FiveLinux wiki

Postby xProgrammer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:55 am

Hi Antonio

I have started work on an expansion of installing and setting up FiveLinux. Have pretty much finished the page on installing Linux and started on page about installing the required packages.

Pages might seem to state the obvious, but I remember what I had to discover when I first switched!

Also when you get a chance have a look at the page on TSay and also my last few posts on the fivewin wiki thread on FiveWin for harbou/xHarbour forum and the thread just below this one.

http://wiki.fivetechsoft.com

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 am

Doug,

I have just reviewed your new pages and changes, very good! :-)

Thanks,
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

wiki progress

Postby xProgrammer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:24 am

Hi Antonio

I have added quite a bit on FiveLinux installation on the fivetechsoft wiki. There are new pages on Building Harbour from its free repository, on the Standard Directory Structure, on Downloading the necessary packages and a Linux survival page which is a bit of a guide to getting up and running on Linux if you have come from a DOS / Windows background. The next bit is really how to get hold of fivelinux itself and I really need your guidance on that bit.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am

Doug,

I think that a ZIP file could be the simplest way to distribute FiveLinux, so it can gets unzipped in any Linux distro.

Then I guess it should include a makefile to build it, as we can't provide packages for each Linux distro. Lots of different Linuxes :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi Antonio

I think that a ZIP file could be the simplest way to distribute FiveLinux, so it can gets unzipped in any Linux distro.

Then I guess it should include a makefile to build it, as we can't provide packages for each Linux distro. Lots of different Linuxes

If that's going to be the case then the wiki should reflect it. I would like to try a dry run on a newly installed Linux box to test it if and when you want to send such a zip.

But I would also suggest that you might like to offer a pre-built FiveLinux for those that are happy to follow you with Ubuntu?

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Yes, we can provide a build for Ubuntu as it is the distro that we use and recommend. And the makefile to built it in other Linux distros.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi Antonio

The samples could be downloaded from the wiki so you wouldn't necessarily have to include them. The wiki might also end up being the main documentation too.

I'll draft draft instructions for the wiki, but I would really like to do a test at some stage.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:55 pm

Doug,

There are files that can't be uploaded to the wiki, i.e. DBFs.

> The wiki might also end up being the main documentation too.

Yes, thats the idea :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:24 am

Hi Antonio

There are files that can't be uploaded to the wiki, i.e. DBFs.

I didn't think about that but the wiki could point to a location where they could be downloaded from. Alternatively DBFs could be read in from SDF files.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Return to FiveLinux / FiveDroid (Android)