Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.10

Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.10

Postby xProgrammer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 am

Hi Antonio

Back from holidays and about to get back into FiveLinux programming.

The main application has been quite stable with some 4500 patient records and 1500 file records entered so far. Will try to address a few remaining issues with your help over the coming weeks. Currently just running as a single user application but have written multi user version (just a minor tweak to xDATAFILE object) and that tests out OK running multiple instances on a single Linux box.

Networking to date was via Samba Server and SMB4k clients (to support Windows boxes) but figure native Linux networking should be more robust (it certainly couldn't be much worse!).

I was wondering if you had done any experimentation with FiveLinux applications across networks? If so, have you any recommendations?

Need to install some new PCs so planning to run Ubuntu 7.10 on most or all of them. I gather you are already running 7.10. Can I just keep running current FiveLinux build?

Something I noticed from my coding:

I have found that if I have a GET such as

cGender := " "

@ 1, 1 GET getGender VAR cGender ..................................

Then if I edit the get via keyboard entry then the variable cGender will reflect that change (in other words it is updated) but if I alter it programmatically, with something along the lines of

getGender:SetText( "F" )

then the variable cGender is not updated.

This is no major problem as I can use getGender:GetText() to retrieve the updated value. I'm not sure if the above behaviour is intentional or not, but to me

REPLACE GENDER WITH cGender

is nicer and simpler than

REPLACE GENDER WITH getGender:GetText()

Maybe SetText() could be altered to update the variable as I originally anticipated that it would.

Regards

Doug (xProgrammer)
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:06 am

Doug,

>
I was wondering if you had done any experimentation with FiveLinux applications across networks? If so, have you any recommendations?
>

Nope, sorry. We have not used it across networks, just locally.

>
Need to install some new PCs so planning to run Ubuntu 7.10 on most or all of them. I gather you are already running 7.10. Can I just keep running current FiveLinux build?
>

Yes, it should work fine on Ubuntu 7.10. We use Ubuntu 7.10. Its much better (in fact, its getting better and better) :-)

> @ 1, 1 GET getGender VAR cGender ..................................
> getGender:SetText( "F" )

Thats probably caused as the GET has not lost the focus

>
Maybe SetText() could be altered to update the variable as I originally anticipated that it would.
>

Yes, we can modify method SetText() to set the variable contents, but that will override the VALID (?)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:21 am

Hi Antonio

>
Nope, sorry. We have not used it across networks, just locally.
>

Well I should be testing in a few days - when I have my native Linux network up and running. I guess that its more of an xHarbour issue than specifically Five Linux.

>
Thats probably caused as the GET has not lost the focus
>

That makes sense. Because the GET was set programmatically the GET probably didn't ever get the focus. Does that mean that we could code along the lines of:

getGender:LostFocus()

would we need to precede the above with something like:

getGender:SetFocus()

(Sorry, but I am away from my Five Linux documentation so don't know if above functions exist or are correctly named).

That would mean that the code for saving the data would not have to change, the only additional coding would be around the code that wrote the values into the GETs which makes for safer, easier to read and understand code.

>
Yes, we can modify method SetText() to set the variable contents, but that will override the VALID (?)
>

That would suit me - if I am doing something programmatically I assume its correct. In any case I could always code along the following lines:

IF ValidFunction( <parameters> )
ENDIF

But I guess its a question for Five Linux users as a group and especially you as the architect, as to what approach is best.

Just to explain the background to this I am trying to speed up data entry. We have different salutations as follows:

Mr. male (married or not)
Mrs. female (married)
Miss female (not married)
Ms. female (no implication as to marital status)

user can click on any of the above and the code sets the salutation and the gender.

Similarly for the suburb part of their address common local suburbs are listed and user can click on one of them and both suburb and postcode (our equivalent of zip code) fields are filled out.

(These are just 2 examples. I find that this type of technique can save a lot of data entry time - especially for non typists.)

Best regards
Doug
(xProgrammer)
xProgrammer

Return to FiveLinux / FiveDroid (Android)