Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 13.04 quality...

Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 13.04 quality...

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:34 am

I want to share a funny story that recently happened to me :-)

I use to install Linux Ubuntu from Windows on all the computers I use, (using a Windows file as a virtual hd) but running Ubuntu natively. I also have OSX on the same computer (a 24 screen iMac).

Recently I installed Ubuntu 13.04 from Windows 8. In a few days Ubuntu didn't started anymore and I started thinking that what a low quality level for a software, that seemed not robust enough. Then I tried to dig into this and see what were going on.

Finally I traced the Ubuntu boot and reached a point where Ubuntu were complaining about Windows that had corrupted the file system. To my surprise it was required a chkdsk /f from Windows, a total shutdown and then Ubuntu started again smoothly.

The funny thing is that I was thinking bad about Ubuntu, when it is Windows 8 the one that is constantly corrupting the files system. This has happened to me on four computers, so Windows 8 is not able to keep its harddisk in real healthy conditions... :-)

Long live Linux ;-) Now everytime that Ubuntu refuses to boot, I know that Windows filesystem is corrupted again. And its true because a chkdsk /f fixes it. But Windows never reported by itself to be corrupted on those cases... :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 13.04 quality...

Postby Rick Lipkin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Antonio

Check out Linux Mint .. we have switched from Ubuntu to Mint because it offers more choices for menu and start screen layout.

Rick Lipkin

http://www.linuxmint.com/
Last edited by Rick Lipkin on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lipkin

Re: Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 13.04 quality...

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Rick,

Yes, I know it, I have tested it several times, but as it is an Ubuntu derivative, I think it is better to stay with with Ubuntu (I may be wrong) :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic / Otros temas