SSD y cosas de Windows...

SSD y cosas de Windows...

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:42 am

Hace unos dias monté un SSD en un equipo en el que necesitaba más velocidad.

Trabajando con Windows, normalmente activo la cuenta administrador y trabajo desde ella, para que el sistema no me ponga ninguna restricción.

Pues bien, construyendo Harbour y FWH, me topé con la desagradable experiencia de que con mucha frecuencia aparecia el error "cannot overwrite file" y me paraba el proceso de construcción... acckkkk

Despues de muchas pruebas, googlear, y descubrir que existe una capacidad "TRIM" que estaba activada por defecto en Windows 7, y que para comprobarla hay que usar fsutil desde el cmd, que "casualmente" no funciona en una ventana cmd de Windows aunque seas administrador.

El caso es que para usar fsutil hay que ejecutar el cmd como administrador aunque ya seas administrador (que alguien me explique que lógica tiene esto), y eso me hizo pensar en ejecutar los makes desde una ventana cmd como administrador (además de estar logeado como administrador) y asi se ha resuelto el asunto.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Re: SSD y cosas de Windows...

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Antonio

We are starting to build new custom computers with SSD's and a traditional mechanical drive combination.

We use the SSD for just the OS Boot volume and installed programs with the traditional mechanical drive for Data.

SSD has come a long way, however, I would not trust the drive to hold my data.. OS's can and be re-created ( formatted and re-loaded ), data recovery on silicon is a 'forget it' and 'give up and cry' event :cry:

SSD as a boot drive will give you a GREAT Operating System with outstanding program performance and we use them mostly for high-end gaming machines .. I have seen the above mentioned configuration in production .. nothing short of spectacular.

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Re: SSD y cosas de Windows...

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Rick,

thats mostly how I use it, to boot the OS and load the editing tools, Harbour, etc. but all our data is in the clouds since years :-)

FiveWin lives now in bitbucket as a private repository, fortunately we were able to export all the changes since the beginning from the previous SVN repository and import everything from GIT :-)

Anyhow, there a few problems with GIT that we have detected that makes it not so good under certain conditions. At least, it is just another way of storing data in the clouds, with the inmense advantage of data source control.

In fact, if we suddenly loose all our computers (water, fire, thieves, whatever...) there is no lost data at all. Just get a clean computer and in a couple of hours, its a working station again with everything that is used. And if there is no internet connection, then its the right time for a walk :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic / Otros temas