ADS - Question

ADS - Question

Postby Jeff Barnes » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi Everybody,

I've seen alot of posts over the years about ADS (Advantage Database Server).

If I am correct, the ADS "Server" program allows you to have one computer (server) handle the database files / searches etc... This one is not free but the "local" server is ... so, what exactly does the "Local" server do?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff B
Jeff Barnes

Re: ADS - Question

Postby DanielPuente » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:10 am

Jeff:

If you have Advantage Database Server installed the dbfs are managed in the server (client/server architecture) as you said.

If you use Advantage Local Server client/server architecture is not supported and the dbfs are managed as usual, the utility of using Local Server is only for programing the aplication without a server or the posibility to use advantage rdd without a server. Then, if you have a server you have to do almost no changes to the application.

Regards,

Jeff Barnes wrote:Hi Everybody,

If I am correct, the ADS "Server" program allows you to have one computer (server) handle the database files / searches etc... This one is not free but the "local" server is ... so, what exactly does the "Local" server do?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff B
Daniel Puente
Mar del Plata, Argentina
danielpuente@speedy.com.ar
puenteda@hotmail.com
DanielPuente

Re: ADS - Question

Postby R.F. » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm

Jeff:

The ADS local server has all the features of the remote server except: Internet data access, Client/server technology and Transaccions.

The local server supports up to 5 concurrent users and it was though for development propouses only, so you can to have all the features of the remote server, but installed in a single PC when you app need to move into the real Client/Server world, you don't have make any mod into the source code, simply install the remote server, and you app will become into a powerful client/server app, even letting you to have internet access to you dbfs.

Jeff Barnes wrote:Hi Everybody,

Thanks in advance,
Jeff B
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour