Choosing SQL database ...

Choosing SQL database ...

Postby Rimantas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi ,

I want to get a small advice in this situation . I can choose MySQL , FireBird and SQLite . MySQL and FireBird I know and alreday tested - they all work pretty good . But I'm paying attenation to SQLite - how good this thing is ? My project will be in network env. - Win2003 server , ~ 12-15 PC users and and ~ 1-2 Gb size database . Program will be one - Fwh + Harbour - which will work with that database . Program of production - it will be using intensive . I read this chapter in SqLite ste : http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html . But from this explanation I can't image - will SqLite meet for my requirements ? Why SqLite ? Very simple and stable , it seems ... :) . Any comments and advices from your experience are welcome ! :-)

Many thanks in advance !
Rimantas U.
Rimantas

Re: Choosing SQL database ...

Postby Adolfo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Rimantas...

I worked litle things with Sqlite 3, It's fast, reliable, no dependencies of any kind but...
for such proyected database size, better go for MYSQL, althoug I got a 300 MB Sqlite DB working with no problem, I Prefer Mysql for my larger projects.

I have 5 Mysql Installations, all of them on a FEDORA CORE 9,10 Linux Server, I configured them once some time ago, and I haven't "visit" them in months. I turn the servers on ... and they are still working.

Hope it helps.

From Chile
Adolfo
;-) Ji,ji,ji... buena la cosa... "all you need is code"

http://www.xdata.cl - Desarrollo Inteligente
----------
Asus TUF F15, 32GB Ram, 1 TB NVME M.2, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1650
Adolfo

Postby fraxzi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 am

Robust. Stable. Integrated with [x]Harbour. Fast.

Advantage Database Server.

Just my 2Cents :wink:

Regards
:idea:
Kind Regards,
Frances

Fivewin for xHarbour v18.07
xHarbour v1.2.3.x
BCC 7.3 + PellesC8 ( Resource Compiler only)
ADS 10.1 / MariaDB
Crystal Reports 8.5/9.23 DE
xMate v1.15
fraxzi

Postby Rimantas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 am

fraxzi wrote:Robust. Stable. Integrated with [x]Harbour. Fast.

Regards

And how many cost the "Robust.Stable" ADS ? :-) ... Excuse for my irony , maybe it's free versions , bus as I remember , isn't free . I know that this is a good thing , but for limited budget project I'm prefering free DBMS . About 6-7 years ago I played with ADS local server and , remember , that performance was weaky place ... Maybe at this time and local server works good , I don't know . But ADS is working with the sames DBFs + CDXs . If you watched my latest topic in this forum , you will noticed that they concerned about how to insert new lines in xBrowse , a la blank line . The problem concerned moment , if user refused of this new record . It seems that with DBFs this isn't possible . So I decided to choose SQL engine DBMS , as here I can insert blank line , delete this line without any result . Deletion in DBFs leave records in deleted() state , that for a big database isn't good thing ...
Rimantas U.
Rimantas

Postby Rimantas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:10 am

Adolfo wrote:Rimantas...

I worked litle things with Sqlite 3, It's fast, reliable, no dependencies of any kind but...
for such proyected database size, better go for MYSQL, althoug I got a 300 MB Sqlite DB working with no problem, I Prefer Mysql for my larger projects.

I have 5 Mysql Installations, all of them on a FEDORA CORE 9,10 Linux Server, I configured them once some time ago, and I haven't "visit" them in months. I turn the servers on ... and they are still working.

Hope it helps.

From Chile
Adolfo

Thanks Adolfo !

+ for MySql ... :) . Some questions - how many users ( PC , connections ) are working with SQLite and your program ? In this database a big amount of size is "amount of work done" . They are needful for 3-4 months storage and then it can be deleted . So the size of database can be smaller in some times ... Excuse , but I'm still interesting with SQLite ... :)

Regards !

Regards !
Rimantas U.
Rimantas

Postby Adolfo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:44 am

Rimantas..

I tested Mysql with 25 Pc's working at the same time, but in real work, only 15 use the Db on a regular basis. The total size of the DB ( 50 tables ) is 1.6 GB and growing :-)

For Sqlite, I have 3 Pc's connected, each one can have multiple instances of the program running at the same time, sometimes 3 for each Pc. This one has a total size of 280 mb, fixed for some time, is an historical DB, you can only insert comments on each record. Next year it will grow some 20 or 30 MB

The only thing I miss from Sqlite, is security, anyone with Admin rights in the server can erase the file ( .db), although is very easy to use and transfer from one machine to another, your exe, DB, some DLL's and you are done.

From Chile
Adolfo

----------
Adolfo

Postby Rimantas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Adolfo wrote:Rimantas..

I tested Mysql with 25 Pc's working at the same time, but in real work, only 15 use the Db on a regular basis. The total size of the DB ( 50 tables ) is 1.6 GB and growing :-)

For Sqlite, I have 3 Pc's connected, each one can have multiple instances of the program running at the same time, sometimes 3 for each Pc. This one has a total size of 280 mb, fixed for some time, is an historical DB, you can only insert comments on each record. Next year it will grow some 20 or 30 MB

The only thing I miss from Sqlite, is security, anyone with Admin rights in the server can erase the file ( .db), although is very easy to use and transfer from one machine to another, your exe, DB, some DLL's and you are done.

From Chile
Adolfo

Thanks Adolfo for your answer .

It seems that with SQLite I can do this project ... I'm not letting to run multiple instances of program in the same PC . 3-4 users are only viewing data . Only in 4-5 places work with database is more intensive - in movement of aux.materials and account of amount of work + barcodes of work .
The security isn't a problem . The main + of SQLite , as you mentioned , simplicity .

Your experience helped me . Thanks you again .. :) I'll try to do project with SqLite ...

With best regards !
Rimantas U.
Rimantas

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:15 pm

To All

Unless I am missing something on the licensing .. you can download the 'FREE' MS Sql express 2005 or 2008 database .. scalled down version of Sql Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005 ... px?pf=true

You can use all your existing ADO code .. and you do not need a pc client to talk natively to SQL Server or SQL Express .. all the client connectivity is already built into WinXP thru Win7 .. no runtimes, no net framework .. no need to install any client software on each desktop.

Rick Lipkin
SC Criminal Justice Academy
Rick Lipkin

Postby Adolfo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Rick...

same happens with Oracle 10g Express Edition... FREEE

Supports 4GB data, 1GB Ram, 1 CPU (no matter if it is Core 2 quad )

Adolfo

----------
Adolfo

Postby fraxzi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:32 am

Rimantas wrote:
fraxzi wrote:Robust. Stable. Integrated with [x]Harbour. Fast.

Regards

And how many cost the "Robust.Stable" ADS ? :-) ... Excuse for my irony , maybe it's free versions , bus as I remember , isn't free . I know that this is a good thing , but for limited budget project I'm prefering free DBMS . About 6-7 years ago I played with ADS local server and , remember , that performance was weaky place ... Maybe at this time and local server works good , I don't know . But ADS is working with the sames DBFs + CDXs . If you watched my latest topic in this forum , you will noticed that they concerned about how to insert new lines in xBrowse , a la blank line . The problem concerned moment , if user refused of this new record . It seems that with DBFs this isn't possible . So I decided to choose SQL engine DBMS , as here I can insert blank line , delete this line without any result . Deletion in DBFs leave records in deleted() state , that for a big database isn't good thing ...

It's OK . :-) Like I said.. 'Just my 2cents'
Well, I agree, free DBMS or any SQL are good. It's a personal preference too.

If anyone exploit ADS function and features there's 'transaction processing' wherein you can reverse the table's record if somehow there's a flow in user input.. no need to add that record to table or in your case.. delete a record.

I wish to try free SQL too.. like postgreSQL, mySQL and others to be integrated with [x]Harbour. I am with you on this.

Regards
Kind Regards,
Frances

Fivewin for xHarbour v18.07
xHarbour v1.2.3.x
BCC 7.3 + PellesC8 ( Resource Compiler only)
ADS 10.1 / MariaDB
Crystal Reports 8.5/9.23 DE
xMate v1.15
fraxzi

Postby anserkk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 am

Rick Lipkin wrote:To All

Unless I am missing something on the licensing .. you can download the 'FREE' MS Sql express 2005 or 2008 database .. scalled down version of Sql Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005 ... px?pf=true

You can use all your existing ADO code .. and you do not need a pc client to talk natively to SQL Server or SQL Express .. all the client connectivity is already built into WinXP thru Win7 .. no runtimes, no net framework .. no need to install any client software on each desktop.

Rick Lipkin
SC Criminal Justice Academy

It is free, the limitation is that the databases size cannot exceed more than 4GB.

Regards
Anser
anserkk

Postby Lautaro » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Hello,

The IBM DB2 is no limit to size of database, but limited to 1 cpu and 1 mb of ram and is free.

Atte.,

Lautaro Moreira
Lautaro

Postby Rimantas » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Hello all ,

Thanks for your suggestions . In the first post I directed what DBMS which I can to choose - MySQL , FireBird and SQLite . In earlier I did some test with FireBird - it leave very good impression . I did some queries with some hundreds thousands records - it browses very fast . That was in local PC , but I believe that in network env. this server-client engine can work fast . I know and MySQL too - good and , can say , solid DBMS ...

But at this time I'm interesting with SqlLite 3 . Interesting - parameters for server can be passed through program , simply design , alreday support foreign keys , easy install . And if it will work fast - that will be No 1 DBMS ... :)

Adolfo , I have request to you - can you share some samples , how you are working with SqLite ? Connection , query , xBrowse ? Also - what TSqlLite.prg you have ? Mine dated 19.10.2007 , size 64135 . Maybe you have newest prg of this class ? If you will send - mine private e-mail : rimantasu@gmail.com ... :)

Many thanks in advance ! With best regards !
Rimantas U.
Rimantas

Postby Adolfo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Rimantas

I don't use TSqlite
I use an ODBC Client for SqLite, so I connect to it via ADO 8)

And is as fast as any dbf used locally.

Adolfo

----------
Adolfo

Postby marcelodelacruz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:12 am

Hi

someone has a comlete example for using ADO with SQL SERVER

I am using ODBC with UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE, the purest possible