Windows 8 Metro style - A Class TMetro test

Re: Windows 8 Metro style - A Class TMetro test

Postby Bayron » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Mr. Linares,
You could not have better explained than that, and I agree 100% with you...

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Norberto,
I am sorry you took it the wrong way from what I was saying...

Do I want a Win8 tablet? Yes
Will i love to have a Win8 tablet? Yes

As a matter of the fact I bought a iPad 2 a couple of months ago, and as Mr. Linares said, I got bored and gave to my wife...
a week ago I was thinking on buying a tablet with windows 7, but they sell them from China, and the ones they sell in the US are double the price... Now I don't know if buy it now or wait for Windows 8... But I have a strong feeling I will buy it now, because I need a tool not a toy that can perform Commercially, and something I can tell my clients they can buy to be productive not to play with it...

Do I want to be on with new technology?? Yes
But it is one thing to ask FiveTech for a new class to behave as Win8, than to ask to rebuild FiveWin to work with a complete new Platform that comes from the shadows of something did not work and it will take time to take acceptance, It will, but it will take time... And also remember we do not depend from FiveWin only, but also from (x)Harbour...

Never in a million years I though of buying a WinPhone... Don't take it the wrong way because I am a Windows FanBoy, but I need tools, not toys... Even so, I will preffer to have FiveDroid first, because I can buy one for $150 US, against the same exact one with Windows for $650 US... The Ideal thing would be a Web based FiveWeb to have it working as a Web site, accessing MySql that will work on Windows 7, Windows 8, Android, iOS, Mac, BlackBerry, CrawnBerry, BlueBerry and all the flavors... and when a client ask's me that he needs software for his tablet I can tell him that I have it... Better yet explained, when he ask's me what tablet can he use, I can tell him that we have the best technology available and he can use any tablet he likes!!!!
=====>

Bayron Landaverry
(215)2226600 Philadelphia,PA, USA
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

FWH12.04||Harbour 3.2.0 (18754)||BCC6.5||UEstudio 10.10||
Windows 7 Ultimate

FiveWin, One line of code and it's done...
Bayron

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:11 pm

softruz wrote:Muy buenas, fabulosa clase, ¿ tenéis el código fuente para testearla y añadir mas cositas?

Juan,

El código fuente completo esta aqui:
viewtopic.php?p=119500#p119500
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby MdaSolution » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 pm

Antonio, I add changes do you saw it ?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22427&start=30
FWH .. BC582.. xharbour
MdaSolution

Postby TimStone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Bayron,

I understand what you want to do ... I'm also looking at the same issues.

First, take a serious look at the Windows Phone. I have one, and expect the Mango update sometime today. It is certainly not a toy. Just because the cell companies fail to market it adequately does not make it bad. In fact, I see it as having a lot of potential for my real world appications, especially with true multi tasking ! As for US pricing, with discounts, $ 49 - 100 under Verizon for the Trophy. Research the mess you get with updating issues on the Android before going there. Microsoft, and Apple, do offer value that is far more important then price.

Microsoft did provide Build conference attendees with a true Win 8 tablet ( pre - beta version ) so be patient a bit longer. I think you will see some good tablets coming out soon that you can use as a deveoper for Win 8 solutions ( true touch screen ). Microsoft is VERY interested in getting developers on board to build apps for it before the final release next summer.

I looked very seriously at the Apple lineup, but for business, I see the best options for my clients by staying with Windows at this time. Why ? The server and networking technologies are there for business. Now, large companies can have a server / desktop, all notebooks for workstations, soon a tablet, and phones to interface ... and the technology is there.

Check out Office 365, Microsoft's cloud service that ties all your devices together for only $ 6 / month. Apple's iCloud is coming and may do much of the same, although Microsoft does have better server technology ( and O 365 will work with the Apple devices also ).

This is a very dynamic time with lots of changes happening quickly. With some research, you can be at the front of the pack on Metro which is exactly what the work being presented here is positioned to do. Why mess it up with Android ? Cheap ? Sure. Reliable ? Not so much ? Toys and games ? Absolutely ? Productivity ? Not so much ! Personally, I'm not investing any funds into Google / Android. I can easily see the stories of all the problems out there.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Bayron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Tim,
Thanks for your very objective post...
I agree with you, but I may not have explained my self correctly... Basicly what I wanted to say was that we may not see a Metro UI with FiveWin any time soom because FiveWin and (x)Harbour will have to be ported to WinRT... and that will take some time... Fivewin will have to wait for (x)Harbour to be fully ported in order to start porting itself, to see how (x)Harbour behaves...

That takes away C++ and leave us with HTML5 (and that is an Off Topic unless FiveTech does something about it), which by the way I have not even started to find out how it is (It can't be a Biggy)... I know that a Programmer is a Programmer, but some times is hard with new things...

In the mean time, that leave us with a very expensive toy (to us), because in the rest of the world the phone cost US$650.00 +International Shipping+ Outrageous Taxes ++++ because it has to be UnLocked... We don't get here the $30.00 per moth unlimited internet service as we get in the US but for that money we get a 128Kb service with 10,000 limitations on service (Forget about Cloud Services)... And the worst thing: we can not program it...

I may be over exagerating on some things, but it's just to HiLight the isues I see... I see my self and others responding to an email, but never writing a big document on it... besides that phone will be too small and 10 times or more less powerfull than a netbook and much more than a desktop...

I had the Palm PDA (long time ago), the Blackberry (I still have one), iPhone (gave it to my Brother) and iPad (gave it to my wife), and a tool we can't really use (as programmers), will be always a toy to me... (even my all dependable BlackVBerry)

Do I want a Windows Phone or tablet??? I will love to have it??? (((So donations are welcome)))

I may fall in love with Windows Phone but we are trying to point out it's use to us as FiveWin Programmers... Not it's overall uses... At last I also hope that a FiveMetro will be available by tomorrow, but that will be only a fairytale!!!

I will invest in FiveMetro ASAP, only if it comes usable in Desktops, Tablets and Phones... In that order... If not I will wait until I really need it.....
=====>

Bayron Landaverry
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

Windows 7 Ultimate

Bayron

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Tim, Today is Mango day! Microsoft have fresh mangoes to us. see in windowsphone.com ou zune. im using mango RTM, have more than 500 updates and improvement. :D

Tim and another with winphones and wanna have mango today, not wait for cell operator deliver :

"
With the Windows Phone 7.5 update only being rolled out to 10% of users initially the impatient many many want an early piece of the action.

It seems the old “disconnect the internet“ trick from the NoDo days also works for forcing Zune to deliver the Mango update to your phone.

The step by step instructions are:
1.Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
2.Click on Settings/Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
3.Click the check for update button again, and this time immediately disconnect your computer from the internet. Do this by pulling the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc.
4.Wait 30 seconds or so and you should receive a notification that an update is available.
5.Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.

Seems simple enough. Let us know if it works for you.
"
source : http://wmpoweruser.com/
Last edited by norberto on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:34 pm

Bayron, i agree with you, in brazil pay 700 us dolars for my windows phone, but he returned every penny, because it helped in my work.

I do not like android because is very vulnerable and your code is a patchwork, with stolen patents of microsoft and apple.

I agree also that today's tablets are toys, but the new age group, who must exit from this month, has quad core processors, external keyboards, doc case with usb, backup, cloud conexion, i.e. will become instruments of work and not luxury toys.

Today companies are targeting a ecosystem, i.e. something that has versions for desktop, servers, tablets, smartphones, cars controller, games, cloud computer. the only that has this complete ecosystem is microsoft. (ford and fiat has systems based on windows mobile, xbox is the console from microsoft).

many here will say: I dont like microsoft because it is not opensource, prefer android and linux are opensource and free, but I always had a doubt: If the customer does not have money to pay for a server license, want everything free, will have money to pay our programming service?

Regards

I do not believe that I'm on that topic again . :shock: 8)
Last edited by norberto on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
norberto

Postby Bayron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Norberto,
Good to hear from you, as you are better informed than I am, It's always a pleasure to talk with you...

If tablets come with better processors it's a big advance, and the technology will move forward very fast...

Right now they want us to move to Arm processors and other CPUs, which are not very powerfull, instead of getting better battery's and give us x86 or better on tablets and phones...

I want to move forward with technology, not backwards...
=====>

Bayron Landaverry
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

Windows 7 Ultimate

Bayron

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Bayron,
Today technology changes every day, no one know nothing about everything, we are all here by learning from each other.

the arm of today really not so so powerful, but they have a schedule of new arm, that will be. formerly a car to have 140 horses power, had to have a big motor many CC, Today is achieved the same 140 horses with less CC, is the beauty of technology. more power , less energy, more green, i like metro UI because is green, simple, but powerful, clean.

my pleasure to talk with U2.

regards.

only for general information, since we're completely offtopic, on my country, the Government wants to establish a national plan broadcast, PNBL, that would be: each person would have access to broadband, I think 1 mb (real, constant), paying no more than 35 reais (US $ 17 +-/month) unlimited access, real band, subsidized by the State, and subsidized tablets to everyone too, this seems to be more a fairy tale of President Dentex and chubby. :P
norberto

Postby Otto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:15 pm

Hello Norberto,

have you ever made an application with a Microsoft tool and did you distributed this?
All my software which I made with MS tools I had to rewrite.
I had a Pocket PC solution with VB.net 2003. There is so much change
between 2003 to VB.net 2010 that in practice you have to rewrite completely.
I started and then Phone 7 was released which does not support vb.net.

Then I started my web developing using asp.net and dotnetnuke.
I made all my homepages new. To slow and to complicated.
There is so much marketing inside. I started with DAO after MS at that time the best connection to databases and for years the way to go.
When I had finished the application MS promoted ADO this should even be much better then OLE DB, etc.
I think as a single developer you can’t keep up with the MS products.
As you write you have 500 new functions – maybe now is a function to connect to a database – there was no one when I made my first tests with phone 7.
When will you have time to look into these new functions? Don’t you think that phone 7 was not very complete if it needs now more than 500 new functions.
This functions are essential. As I said for example network and databases.

Let me tell you a Fivewin highlight. I felt that running PocketPC software is cause of the slow hardware and the problems with WIFI problematic.

I changed #include "FWCE.ch" to #include "FIVEWIN.ch" did some little changes and within 2 hours the software now runs on a windows 2008 server and you access from PocketPC through RemoteDesktop. Rock solid – fast ... 64 bit on my PocketPC, etc. Please see the screen: xBrowse on PocketPC :-)
Best regards,
Otto

mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Otto, i download visual studio preview, but dont have time to try... you touch better point : database access.
I made like You, using remote desktop with my windows phone, but an native solution is better. FWppc dont work with windows phone.

this news functions for windows phone mango :

- true multtask
- voice recognition in sms (voice to text - text to voice)
- internet explorer 9 with html5
- bing integration
- group messages, group contacts
- integration total with twitter, facebook, WLM
- QR codes seek ( in OS not application)
- etc... 500 in total i dont remember all, but i have anothers phones with another OS and this is the best to user, to programmers? i dont know yeat, but i can say this is very stable, i use for more than 90 days without reset ou reboot, without hangs, comum in old windows mobile.

thanks for share.

norberto
Last edited by norberto on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby Otto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:37 pm

Hello Noberto,
>but dont have time to try...
this is the problem: all those features you don’t need.

What kind of program do you plan to develop.

true multtask
- voice recognition
- group messages, group contacts
- integration total with twitter, facebook, WLM
- QR codes seek ( in OS not application)

What for do you need these features?

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Otto, we can use these features if we can make programs to windows phone...(or windows 8 , or tablets with this), if have this features, have API to us use. we can use own creative to use this , in each case.
Yes, my clients wanna some this features, but to use we need an FivewinRT ou something like.

Nowadays and all integrated, correct? you develop a program for hotels, right? You may want to make a program that read the QR code, search on the internet, send to a list of customers who want to book a room in your hotel, one of these clients may have a visual handicap, then the program should read to him the text, or a lack of locomotion, then it should dictate the room you want to book. at the same time you may want to interact with the foursquare to do promotions for your hotel. or use the sensors (giroscopio, magnetometro) for those who are staying to find places in your hotel room or a coffee)
fairy tale thing or fiction, of course not, and so have a device API access that we do this and much more without relying on third-party applications.

google this launching an application of electronic money, which looks like this being testing in NY, using mobile phones to pay bills using a chip NFC, this is working today, we need the means to talk to these api.

:?: but we are discuting Metro UI, cell phones, program to cell phones,technology, im confusing..... :roll: :?:

this begin when i say is not possible make "real" aplications to metro UI using fivewin today, right?

I really said this, but not to discredit your work, of Antonio, and anothers to make this class inspired by the metro UI.

It seems that said something that someone not wanted to hear and now turned bag of hits? :lol:

best regards to all
norberto

BTW:This published in harbour forum today can help us?? http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/gtk-32-r ... llows.html
norberto

Postby Bayron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 pm

=====>

Bayron Landaverry
+(502)46727275 Guatemala
MayaBuilders@gMail.com

Windows 7 Ultimate

Bayron

Postby norberto » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Bayron, thanks! this can be an start point. :D

Edit:

final SDK for windows phone mango has delivered tomorrow : http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phon ... e-7-5.aspx
norberto

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour