SQL DB : CubeSQL

SQL DB : CubeSQL

Postby shri_fwh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi All ,

we have already so many postings for this subject, however I am posting this as new subject. I wanted to move SQL DB Server, so I started to search which is best SQL DB server engine for xHarbour/Harbour. I found one CubeSQL (http://www.sqlabs.com/cubesql.php) which derived from SQLite engine but difference it is server and free upto 3 concurrent users. I do not know which is best the SQL pair with xHarbour/Harbour. I am still using DBFCDX and wanted to move Server base technology. waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks
Shridhar
Thanks
Shridhar
FWH 19.12, BCC 7 32 bit, MariaDB
shri_fwh

Re: SQL DB : CubeSQL

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Use ADO so you don't have to choose a specific SQL engine.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:26 pm

Shridhar

I agree with Enrico .. ADO is a Microsoft class and set of methods that are the same whether you use Sql Server, Oracle dB2, or Access.. and you get an extra bonus if you use Sql server or Access .. the oledb driver is already included in every modern Microsoft OS... no 3rd party ole provider or client needed!

The coding stays the same only the connection string changes.

Rick
Rick Lipkin

Postby shri_fwh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:45 am

Hi Ric, enrico ,

As I mentioned that currently the application using DBFCDX DB engine. Do I need to migrate all code to ADO ?

Thanks
Shridhar
Thanks
Shridhar
shri_fwh

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 am

Yes. As an alternative, you can use an RDD like SQLRDD and others.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Rick Lipkin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Shridhar

You can download the FREE version of Sql Server Express. This will allow you to create and modify databases and tables. Learn how to use ADO to manipulate your data and create full featured applications.

The code you write will be very transparent if you chose to use the full version of Sql server, Oracle or Access... all you have to do is re-use your code and change the connection string.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=29062

Also, there are some ADO samples of code that have been compiled by many of our friends including Enrico and Rao.

http://wiki.fivetechsoft.com/doku.php?i ... ted_stuffs

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby shri_fwh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Rick ,

Thanks a lot...! for this info.

Thanks
Shridhar
Thanks
Shridhar
shri_fwh

Postby Gale FORd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Why not look at Advantage Database Server. Keep most of your current code. Fast Client Server. Can use SQL commands if you want to but can still retain the use of RDD.
USE MyDbf via 'ADS'
The server is super easy to install and maintain.
Gale FORd

Postby shri_fwh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Gale FORd ,

Yes ..! ADS is the best option to move to client server technology from DBFCDX, but as per ADS licecne agreement we can not deploy ADS (remote) at customer side. And also I have no experience on ADS RDD how it should use in the code. Is it works fine in production with xharbour ? May be this question is not good to ask but ,I am not sure whether ADS RDD will work as like DBFCDX expect Client Server functionality. if ADS works fine then I have to think on this.

Thanks
Shridhar
Thanks
Shridhar
shri_fwh

Postby Gale FORd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I am using it with xHarbour. As far as using it on the same network (LAN), you can use it almost as easy as DBFCDX
Code: Select all  Expand view

rddRegister( "ADS", 1 )
      //   AdsSetServerType(ADS_LOCAL_SERVER)
      AdsSetServerType(ADS_REMOTE_SERVER)
      rddsetdefault( "ADS")
      AdsSetFileType(ADS_CDX)
      ADSLocking( .f.  )

They have many different clients. The problem with any remote data access though is the connection speed. I don't recommend using the RDD approach over WAN unless there are not as many fields and the data sets are smaller.

The Web Platform Client is pretty interesting.
The Advantage Web Platform is a Sybase provided web service that allows “client-less” access to Advantage data from any device and development environment that can make internet (HTTP) calls. This includes but is not limited to devices such as desktop/laptops, mobile phones, PDAs, and tablets. It allows access from any current operating system including Macintosh as no Advantage client is required. Essentially, the Advantage Web Platform extends your application and opens up endless possibilities to access Advantage from many different types of architectures, hardware, and business scenarios.
The Advantage Web Platform is a web service packaged and built on a stand-alone light Apache Web Server module. It is written with industry standard technology, like the ODATA protocol, to make development and integration easy.

Here is a list of other clients
Advantage Web Platform (Clientless access)
Advantage .NET Data Provider
Advantage CA-Clipper RDDs
Advantage CA-Visual Objects RDDs
Advantage Delphi Components
Advantage JDBC Driver
Advantage ODBC Driver
Advantage OLE DB Provider (for ADO)
Advantage Perl DBI Driver
Advantage PHP Extension
Advantage Python Interface
Advantage Ruby Interface
Gale FORd

Postby shri_fwh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Gale FORd ,

As per my client's requirement the application can access the data from the remote location. So I must have to choose either SQL or any other DBF engine that support Remote access as data server. I found apollo DB ( SIX RDD ). As you may know Vista Software recently launched Apollo Server 7.1. And also other hand there are some people who successfully ported their DBF to SQL by using mySQL database. But as far as I know we do not have true tested RDD for Apollo DB. Please correct me if am wrong. I have to check for mySQL only. I wrote an email to Mr Daniel (Author of Dolphin Component) and waiting for their reply.

Thanks
Shridhar
Thanks
Shridhar
shri_fwh

Postby Gale FORd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm

If you want to connect to a database other than through the native RDD then you need a driver of some kind.
If you are using Microsoft SQL or Advantage Database Server you need some kind of connectivity.
If your client driver is ODBC compliant you still have to connect and then send SQL commands and receive the results in Record Sets.
Advantage does SQL commands using any one of the Clients. OleDb (ADO) is faster and has more functionality than ODBC.
Gale FORd

Postby reinaldocrespo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:25 pm

For an xharbour developer, moving to an ADS server is the path of least resistance. Just install the server. Change the default rdd to ADS. Done. You now have true client-server (two tier paradigm) + SQL + remote access with a choice of many clients (including xharbour).

**OR**

Go for MS-SQL, or MySQL, or Oracle, or any other SQL and rewrite your entire application.

This is a no-brainer.

Reinaldo.
reinaldocrespo

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour