OT: Windows 8 by numbers

OT: Windows 8 by numbers

Postby norberto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Windows 8 by numbers

4 million copies (updates) in 3 days, 10000 applications on the marketplace (RT), 500 new ones every day.

continuing like this and seeing the new PC (hybrid, tablets), I would say that in less than 1 year there no more PC sale without touch screen. I think that in less than 1 month, Windows 8 will have more market that Linux had throughout its existence, and in less than 6 months, more than OSX.

Some users are reporting that it is possible to make the Windows 8 update from pirated versions for 39 U$, microsoft did not comment yet

for those who don't like it, can continue in 7, or migrate to Linux or OSX, or wait for the 9. :lol:
Last edited by norberto on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Re: OT: Windows 8 by numbers

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Norberto,

I think Windows 8 is going to be a great success for OSX, Android and Linux :-)

And that is very good for the software industry...
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi ,

Start menu back , for free : http://windows8startbutton.com/ , for those who are feeling the lack It.
norberto

Postby norberto » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Antonio,
as in almost everything related to technology, has a degree of commitment (risk). Some are believing in the success of the new system, and betting on it, discovering how to create applications, how to use the benefits, how to use for IT in the enterprise. on the other hand, others are betting on failure.
If it works out, the first will benefit and those who bet on failure, will have to run behind the lost time.
here on the Forum, it seems that I, Tim, Otto, are confident, others not so much, let's wait to see what happens.
Anyway, as you said, will be a benefit for all, especially users, regardless of what happens.

Best regards
norberto

Postby modicr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm

IMHO there is no need to rush. I do not plan to buy an ARM Windows RT device (I will wait for Intel Windows 8 Pro devices). Win32/64 will be supported for a long time. For my taste, WinRT ecosystem is too limited. I hope that in the next iterations of WinRT they will relax some limitations regarding installing custom apps (bypassing Windows Store) ...

Here are some articles about these issues in separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25062&p=136590#p136590
© I'm not patented!
modicr

Postby modicr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:18 pm

norberto wrote:Start menu back , for free : http://windows8startbutton.com/ , for those who are feeling the lack It.

Here is a big list with "Start Menu" utilities: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158526- ... n-in-win8/
© I'm not patented!
modicr

Postby TimStone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Programmers all have lots of opinions.

I've been listening to consumers. I know many people who decided to give Win 8 a try. Every one of them is happy ! They downloaded the update ( $ 39 US is the legal price, $ 15 if you bought a device since June 2, 2012 ), ran it, and everything works perfectly for them. They are playing with the RT side, and continuing all of their normal things in the Desktop. I've been posting some info on how to do things, and once they realized how to locate programs ( All button ), the global search, how to use the mouse under RT ... it became a rich experience.

For anyone following the news closely, Apple is starting to stumble ! Sure, the fans are on the bandwagon, but the vast majority of people are stepping back ... Android tried to upstage Microsoft on the Win 8 Launch and had a total flop, and people are realizing the inconsistency of the Droid OS distributions ... and Linux has never been known by the majority of consumers except as a web host server.

As people explore the depth of the Win 8 offering across all options, I believe it will soar. As for the RT option ... I believe Microsoft rolled that out first so people would give it a good look. The past 10 days has made it really useful with all the new apps. Now 46 of the top 50 apps are available on Win 8 phone ( and consequently other devices ) and every day the number of options is growing.

As for the Windows Store, for a person in business its a great option. It makes your application available to nearly 1 billion computers. It handles the purchase process ( credit card processing, etc ), delivery, and updates all automatically, and they send you a check for 70% of your price. Considering the savings in time, fees, and media delivery, I think that is a great idea. If you want your program to sell add on services, you handle that directly. If I put together some RT apps, I will greatly appreciate the store.

Finally, you can still deliver directly any desktop or utility apps. Thus your higher priced, desktop based, LOB ( Line of Business ) apps are still sold separately and delivered as a regular install. There are simply no problems with this !

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby norberto » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Tim,

but I bet that each one of those who tried and now is happy, certainly tried for more than a week, with Windows 8 installed on a physical machine (not a VM).
I know several that are also very satisfied, but these above conditions.
If you don't try for awhile, because it requires a small learning curve, or try on a VM as a separate secundar machine, won't like it and will not see the benefits.

BTW: are you try win to GO? if yes , can recomend some pen drive brand?
I have used vmware for awhile to virtualize servers for testing, Windows 8 has included Hyper-V, which before had on the servers, I've used it on Windows server, but I found it a little slower in Windows 8, you had any experience? tip?
are you try "toolbox for Windows 8" from marketplace, very nice concept of multitask.

Regards
Last edited by norberto on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby norberto » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:20 pm

I would just like to clarify my initial post:
I'm not encouraging piracy, just saying that when Microsoft made the release of Windows 8 on my country, said she would have a special discount for pirate copies, and now it was reported by several blogs, pages about users who made the update from the pirate copies and it worked, and so far the MS did not comment about it to they blogs. its legal? i dont no.
My that I'm using are. :D

Regards
norberto

Postby TimStone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Microsoft probably felt it was better to get pirates to go legal for $39.

I have not tried any portable devices or OS. I am using Start8 and Fences from Stardock. Those are the only add ons I have for Win 8. That's a total investment of $15 US, and I like what it gives me in the Win 8 desktop. I know several computer manufacturers are putting the Start button back on the desktop. I understand why Microsoft doesn't have it ... people may not focus on the main Start screen if they have it, but I do use both RT Start Screen and Desktop.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour