Converting CVS files

Re: Converting CVS files

Postby James Bott » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:36 pm

I don't know how the APPEND FROM function works, but if it is trying to pull the entire file into memory, then a 4GB file may be causing memory issues.

James
James Bott

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:07 am

James Bott wrote:I don't know how the APPEND FROM function works, but if it is trying to pull the entire file into memory, then a 4GB file may be causing memory issues.

James

1. No. You can trust clipper, harbour and xharbour developers/
BUT
2. By the way DBF file can not be larger than 4GB ( except in recent versions of ADS). Note: These limitations are dependent on limitations of 32-bit. Similar limits could apply to csv an sdf too.
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Postby carlos vargas » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 pm

plase try in vfp import using append from
if this work the fault is in [x]harbour

salu2
Salu2
Carlos Vargas
Desde Managua, Nicaragua (CA)
carlos vargas

Postby James Bott » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Nages,

2. By the way DBF file can not be larger than 4GB ( except in recent versions of ADS). Note: These limitations are dependent on limitations of 32-bit. Similar limits could apply to csv an sdf too.

If the CSV file is 4GB then the DBF will be larger than 4GB so perhaps that is the problem. Further, if the app then needs to add records to the DBF then there will still be an issue even if he gets the file converted. So, it seems, there is a bigger issue than just converting the CSV to DBF.

Can SQL files be larger than 4GB or is 32-bit limited to 4GB files of any type? Or, can the server be 64bit and the workstations be 32bit?

James
James Bott

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Can SQL files be larger than 4GB or is 32-bit limited to 4GB files of any type? Or, can the server be 64bit and the workstations be 32bit?

There are no such limits with SQL DBMS tables.
Later versions of ADS (client-server versions) also allow DBFs exceeding 4GB. Better to choose regular SQL DBMS for large data.
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Postby Gale FORd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 pm

I think it is partly to do with locking scheme using recno()+offset.
I also found this from Advantage support page:
Beginning with Advantage 8.0 the artificial 4 GB limit was removed. To use this feature only the server needs to be upgraded. When using DBF tables over 4GB in size, you must use Advantage Proprietary Locking.
Gale FORd

Postby HunterEC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:22 pm

André:

The file is not corrupted.

James:

I think there must be 32 bit addressing issues. Before you posted your suggestion, I tried splitting the file with the low level file I/O functions and it does not work.

Rao:

Let me know how can I send you the file (400MB zip).

Thank you all guys !
HunterEC

Postby James Bott » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Hunter,

I think there must be 32 bit addressing issues. Before you posted your suggestion, I tried splitting the file with the low level file I/O functions and it does not work.

I am not sure exactly what you did, but I successfully imported a 2GB CSV file into a DBF (under 32bit Windows XP). I didn't try it but I suspect I could not then import it again into the same DBF since it would exceed the 4GB maximum file size for 32bit.

So I believe you are going to have to either go to ADS or SQL to deal with a file this size.

Regards,
James
James Bott

Postby HunterEC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

James, guys:

The problem is that, as Mr. Rao & I did, if you create a new text file with the first 10 records, everything works perfectly. With the whole file (4.61GB), it does not work. Splitting the file into multiple parts using the low level functions, does not work. APPEND FROM does not work.
Thank you guys.
HunterEC

Postby James Bott » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Hunter,

Splitting the file into multiple parts using the low level functions, does not work. APPEND FROM does not work.

OK, I still don't understand exactly how you are doing this. Are you breaking the file into 2 or more parts, then attempting to append one of them into a DBF and the first one fails? If so, how does it fail--error message?

Or, is it that you are attempting to append each of the smaller files into the same DBF and it fails when the DBF gets larger than 4GB?

I guess it doesn't really matter since you cannot use a DBF larger that 4GB so you need to get the data into a SQL file like Access. You should be able to import each of the smaller pieces of the CVS file into a separate DBF, then import those into the SQL file. Or, there may be a simple way to import the smaller CVS files directly into the SQL file.

James
James Bott

Postby ADutheil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 am

Hunter,

Can you share the file in some cloud based storage like googledrive, dropbox or any other one so we can download it?
Regards,

André Dutheil
FWH 13.04 + HB 3.2 + MSVS 10
ADutheil

Postby Gale FORd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 am

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but the size of the csv file does not directly relate to the size of the dbf.
The record size of the example dbf is 7908 bytes. The records size of the csv is much smaller because the fields are not fixed length and many of them are empty all together.

So even if you split the csv file in half, there is a possibility that when it is appended into dbf, the dbf could be over 4gb limit.
If you take 4gb and divide it by 7908 you get somewhere around 500,000 records. So if 1/2 of the csv file contains more than 500,000 records, you could be reaching the dbf size limit.
Gale FORd

Postby HunterEC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 pm

André, James, Rao:

Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

James:

I still have not tried to convert it to DBF. I wrote a small program to split the text file in 1,000,000 lines pieces. No success. The same program (splitter) works on a test file of just 10 lines.
HunterEC

Postby James Bott » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:10 pm

The link shows an empty folder--at least for me.

Also, it sounds like you are saying that your splitter program didn't work for 1 million records. Is that correct?

James
James Bott

Postby Gale FORd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:06 pm

1 million records? The dbf with 7908 bytes per record would not hold that many before crashing. It would not hold much more than 500,000 records before reaching the 4gb limit.
Gale FORd

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour