FiveWeb (FiveWin days are numbered)

Re: FiveWeb (FiveWin days are numbered)

Postby byron.hopp » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:33 pm

FiveWin has life definitely. I have been working with FiveWin and Json connecting through the web. No different than Steve Jobs choosing this with the iPhone. We have been playing around this for a while with Soap. However some of our customers are afraid of the MS Soap Toolkit 3.0 because microsoft has placed several web pages saying it is no longer supported. I would like to see some built in support for JSON, and the possibility of building the actual service on the server. The speed is more than acceptable and because it's fivewin the deployment is simple.

In my experience the development time is less with the client side app, and the support is less. It seems that most of the upgrades to the browsers is to have more activity on the client side, sooner or later you might as well write a winforms app and connect through the web. Obviously there is a place and time for the web, if I'm Amazon I don't want this technique.

Byron ...
Thanks,
Byron Hopp
Matrix Computer Services
byron.hopp

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Byron,

We all can remember when developers were crying "Clipper is going to die", and see what a life it has (reborn as a great free Harbour) :-)

Desktop apps will remain alive for many years, as they are needed in many cases. Of course the web is a great reality, and hopefully when Lailton has some time (hey Lailton still waiting!) and we join efforts to deliver a great FiveWeb codeveloped with FiveTech and FiveWin compatible (as much as possible) :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby lucasdebeltran » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:02 am

Antonio,

It would be great if you join efforts to offer a joint solution, because the demo kindly posted by Boris is extraordinary, although there are aspects to polish.

It´s a win-win for all ;).
Muchas gracias. Many thanks.

Un saludo, Best regards,

Harbour 3.2.0dev, Borland C++ 5.82 y FWH 13.06 [producción]

Implementando MSVC 2010, FWH64 y ADO.

Abandonando uso xHarbour y SQLRDD.
lucasdebeltran

Postby codemaker » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

The only big problem with FiveWeb is the missing documentation.
Because I am finishing one huge project using Fiveweb, I went through all the aspects of FiveWeb and learned all the tricks needed, I promissed Lailton I will write the help file /documentation. For all controls and methods used. I know how much help I got from Lailton, whenever I got stuck. Tons of "hidden" methods and functions without which there is no way to proceed.
It is not a small job, so I don't expect this to happen before at least 2 months from now. Most likely during the summer.
I am saying this because without a comprehensive documentation, it is almost impossible to do much with this LIB. It combines the HTML, JavaScript, Fiveweb logic and really needs to be documented.

Other than that I am delighted with LIB and already have two big projects ordered to do. The clients like the "look and feel" of the desktop on web...
codemaker

Postby elvira » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Dear Boris, Laiton,

Is there any update?. We need to start a web based proyect son to allow remote browsing and editing of some tables via Inetrnet and Smartphones.

Thank you. Best regards
elvira

Postby devtuxtla » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi Lailton / Boris

I´m waiting too

Regards
Visite Chiapas, el paraiso de México.
devtuxtla

Postby cdmmaui » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:16 am

Dear Boris / Laiton,

I understand the documentation is not complete. Would it be possible to post source code that has been successfully implemented by both of you? Of course without providing information about your project and/or customer? I am sure all of the interested developers will jump on and support one another with your assistance.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Darrell Ortiz
CDM Software Solutions, Inc.
https://www.cdmsoft.com
cdmmaui

Location: Houston ∙ Chicago ∙ Los Angeles ∙ Miami ∙ London ∙ Hong Kong

Postby codemaker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 pm

cdmmaui wrote:Dear Boris / Laiton,

I understand the documentation is not complete. Would it be possible to post source code that has been successfully implemented by both of you? Of course without providing information about your project and/or customer? I am sure all of the interested developers will jump on and support one another with your assistance.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you,

I am finishing the FiveWeb project using the latest LIB version which I bought.
If I send you the code, you cannot do much without the LIB and documentation.
When you buy the LIB there are a lot of samples in one folder which you can use as the starting point. But, these samples doesn't show all the logic which has to be implemented when dealing with the complex code.
So, even Lailton send you that samples, still cannot test without a LIB at the first place.
There is no DEMO library at least as far as I know.

Until the documentation is completed I think it will be very hard to develop anything meaningful even if you buy the LIB and even Lailton and me give you the support when we have time. Unfortunately my time is very limited so I am not sure when we can have the documentation finished. It is not a simple and short job. Especially Lailton recently added a lot of new features and all of them have to be documented from scratch and having in mind Lailton's documentation miss a lot of the features and doesn't show almost nothing of the program logic needed.

Another consideration:
For report - you can use Fiveweb built in support for PDF creation but much better way is to use FastReport. I am using FastReport for all my FiveWeb reports and I am very satisfied how it works in combination with FiveWeb LIB project. Of course, in order to use FastReport you have to buy the FastReport version for (x)Harbour, because it contains the functions which can be called from FastReport inside the EXE created by FiveWeb, to show some data on the report dynamically.
For example, when creating the report I use some functions included in FastReport file to call my own functions which are actually written in the Fiveweb PRG program. These functions calculates something and shows the result on the report during report creation, or retrieves some data from some other databases with or without parameters from FastReport report.

To summarize:
I am trying to finish the current FiveWeb project as soon as I can (in 10 days probably after some polishing)
Then I might have some time to assemble the documentation, at least the first version.
If I will not have to start the second Fiveweb project which we already plan, the documentation might take me a month or less. Then I have to discuss with Lailton about technical details about Fiveweb. Unfortunately Lailton is also very busy these weeks so I don't think the documentation will be ready before beginning of August this year. Not to mention I will be traveling all July and August and part of September... (I don't want to miss a Greek sea :) )
codemaker

Postby cdmmaui » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Dear Boris,

I did purchase FiveWeb in the beginning as well. However, the version was incomplete and not reliable. Based on your responses, I believe there is no definite timeline. I appreciate your responses and I will look at alternatives.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Darrell Ortiz
cdmmaui

Postby Colin Haig » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:08 am

Hi Darrell

If you are looking to customers access to your software - have a look at TSPlus - it works like terminal server but users can login from a web
browser.

I have setup a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit computer and a five user license in my office ( you can select how many users you want to have access when you purchase TSPlus).
You can install a trial version for 15 days

Basic setup requirements
static ip address
setup an "a" record ( with your ISP ) to point to your static IP as remote.whatever.com.au ( choose what you want.)
make sure port 3389 (in and out )and port 80 are open on router

I am setting up my clients so they can have their technicians login and do their timesheets and book materials to jobs after they complete each job - they
use their mobile phones as a hotspot and a laptop.

Contact me colin@techdata.net.au if you require any further information.

Cheers

Colin
Colin Haig

Postby cdmmaui » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:36 am

Hi Colin,

That looks like a really good solution for our hosted applications.

However, we must have a web application our customers customer can log in and track data from their websites. Our software is dependent on having a web solution.

I was really hoping FiveWeb would have launched.

Alaska xBase++ has come out with version 2.0 which provides SQL integration via their WAA product. It is expensive but I am getting to a point where I have no choice.

I do appreciate your input and I will probably purchase that product next month.

Thank you,
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Darrell Ortiz
cdmmaui

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour