Next target: EasyReport !!! :-)

Re: Next target: EasyReport !!! :-)

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:31 pm

And this is my answer to him :-)

Dear Timm,

So glad to have news from you :-)

Yes, I think it would be great for FWH users and also a way to give continuity to the great job that you did.

Honestly, I am very short of funds these days (my father died in February and that generated a lot of expenses). My plan is to ask FWH users for donations so we collect the money to pay you.

Please give us an idea of what amount you would like to get and I will comment it in our forums and lets see how much we can get for you. I know that you have put a lot of work on it and I wish I could have the money to pay you for its real value.

In fact it would be great to buy the sources for all the products that you have in your website as I am sure that FWH users may find them very usefull.

My idea is to turn them open source so that way its guaranteed that they will remain alive and used for many years.

Many thanks for your understanding and help along all this years, and thanks for helping FWH users as you have been doing always :-)

best regards

Antonio
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 am

regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Marco Turco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Elvira,
I don't understand your point of view.
Please note Sergey made just an [x]Harbour wrapper and a self-contained DLL with the Fast Report code inside. He ISN'T the Fast Report developer.
Fast Report http://www.fast-report.com/en/ is a professional report solution product used from thousands of IT companies and it is an very active project,

I appreciate the Antonio activity to provide a decent report system included in FWH but EasyReport is not a commercial solution,
in my opinion Antonio should leave the standard FWH report system "as is", included into the standard FWH price
and starting to include professional components as Fast Report, Codejockers, others and provide them as FWH addons at extra price for him,
because the FWH users world is variegate: there is the freelance software programmers, the self-employed but also small and medium companies like me that require a different standard level.

elvira wrote:Antonio,

Great iniaitive.

Marco,

FastReport for Harbour/xHarbour is dead as Sergey passed away. Having the source code of EasyReport will allow us to fix it and to add other features. Besides, most we don´t need advanded features of FastReport, but yes a easy designer for invoices.

And most important, Sergey passed away and the product is also dead. In fact, new users of FR must be pirate, as you can´t purchase it for Harbour no longer.
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby lucasdebeltran » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Marco,

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you.

I am also a registered user of both, EasyReport and FastReport.

Sergey not only provided the wrapper to FastReport, Inc, but also he compiled FastReport,Inc and created the FrSystH.dll for Harbour and xHarbour.

Since he is dead, the ongoing changes in FastReport, Inc are not available to Harbour any more. So we are stopped at 4.12.1 version, which is the last version Sergey did provide to the registered users. Current Fast Report, Inc version is 5.0. And the version provided by Sergey has quite unresolved bugs.

Also, "recent" users of FRH can´t be legal because Sergey is dead almost two years ago.

So, if you don´t like EasyReport, just don´t use it and let the community to achieve one of the most frequent demands for the users.

Antonio, thank you for the initiative and leadership of the community.

My two cents.
Muchas gracias. Many thanks.

Un saludo, Best regards,

Harbour 3.2.0dev, Borland C++ 5.82 y FWH 13.06 [producción]

Implementando MSVC 2010, FWH64 y ADO.

Abandonando uso xHarbour y SQLRDD.
lucasdebeltran

Postby hmpaquito » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Lucas

Sergey not only provided the wrapper to FastReport, Inc, but also he compiled FastReport,Inc and created the FrSystH.dll for Harbour and xHarbour.

Marco says:
Please note Sergey made just an [x]Harbour wrapper and a self-contained DLL with the Fast Report code inside.

Regards
hmpaquito

Postby lucasdebeltran » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

I am also a registered user of both, EasyReport and FastReport.

In fact, I had very good support fron Sergey and also I reported him many bugs.

Un saludo, Best regards,

lucasdebeltran

Postby Marco Turco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Lucas,
it isn't just a like - not like question. The issue is that EasyReport is simply inadeguate for a commercial app in developed software market like Italy, Netherlands, UK.
Fivetech is a single-man-company: just Antonio. So you can understand if I'm bit worried when he invest his time in this kind of projects. That's all.

lucasdebeltran wrote:So, if you don´t like EasyReport, just don´t use it and let the community to achieve one of the most frequent demands for the users.

Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby MGA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Lucas,

here in the company, implemented the FASTREPORT (xai...) with Fivewin. It was necessary to make some adjustments, more is working perfectly.
ubiratanmga@gmail.com

FWH18.02
FWPPC
Harbour/xHarbour
xMate
Pelles´C
TDolphin
MGA

Postby lucasdebeltran » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Sgs,

Really?.

Have you tried to use with MSVC?.

And with FWH64?.

Un saludo, Best regards,

lucasdebeltran

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Dear Marco,

I fully respect your opinion, but the way I see it is that FWH allows you to use whatever third party tool that you may want to use: If you want to use FR then you are free to do so. Other users also used Crystal Reports, etc. This means total freedom to choose the right tools for you.

Along the years I have learned (we all have learned) that using "closed" software solutions always bring troubles, sooner or later. See what happens with OLE components, i.e. as CodeJock. Here in the forums you can review all sort of troubles that users had.

To me the point is not to discuss what report engine is better. Everyone here is free to choose the one that he prefers, and this is real fine.

Timm did a great job with EasyReport. Ok, it may be far away from FR, but if we are lucky enough to get its source code, and given the potential that we all have here, EasyReport will improve very much. Now, look at the advantages: no need to use an external DLL, self contained EXEs, etc. Having its full sources will give us total freedom to modify and enhance it. And please notice that I say "we", not "I" (me) :-)

Regarding being FiveTech a single-man company, I totally disagree with you. From an external point of view, someone who know anything about FWH, it may seems so. But if you review these forums activity, and if you know the real evolution of FWH, its not true. it is the result of a great team of people along the years :-)

I am just the owner of FiveTech, but how many developers actively work and worked on the FWH source code ? Nageswararao (India): he has done an incredible job on the Class TXbrowse, ADO management, but not only on those areas, lots of code besides those come from him and also a great tech support that he provides on these forums. Daniel (Venezuela): the RibbonBar, TFolderEx, TTitle, PNG support, etc (just to name a few of them), Enrico (Italy) great tech support here for years, Charly (Barcelona) The FWH debugger (just to name one of his best contributions), Uwe Koening (Germany) for state of the art graphics managements, etc., Paco García (Madrid-SAGE) he has built lots of classes and extensions to FWH, Manuel Alvarez (Spain) he not only masters FWH, but also FiveMac, Cristobal Navarro always helping here and now besides mastering FWH is learning and surely enhancing soon FiveMac, Anser K.K. (India) always providing great tech support and fixes, Rafa Carmona (Barcelona) have developed many usefull classes that many of use use, etc. (surely I miss to name many of them as even for me its impossible to remember and thank to all of them). See how many FWH Classes are all around, developed by FWH users. And this means that lots of users nowdays have the mastery to make FWH grow as needed. I don't know any other xbase related company that have this
level of flexibility and openess that FiveTech has offered for years. And to me, this is the key for the real success of FWH. All of you have been cooperating with the development of FWH for years and years :-)

In fact the official FWH repository where all its sources are kept, is placed at bitbucket.org (on a private repository) but its not just me who has access to it. For years a group of selected developers had and have access to it, working in a perfect coordination: Nageswararao, Daniel, Charly, Uwe, Anser K.K., Enrico and more (because we are always open to welcome new contributors when they show real interest about it). Recently another Spanish software development company has been given access to it (I don't know if they may mind to name them), having access to FiveTech sources. More over, just review your FWH sources folders and more than 95% FWH sources are there. How many bugs and fixes have been solved by all the users ? So WE, all together, have the real full potential to make FWH grow. There are lots and lots of FWH Classes in internet developed by so many developers, that to me its impossible to remember all their names. I don't know of any other company that has provided this level of openess and great coordination between private and open sources.

In fact, if I would die, I have given clear instructions to my wife and some collegues (great friends), so FWH will continue alive, growing and publishing new versions. Full sources are at bitbucket.org. Just the right login and password, and its all there. To me I am just the technical leader, supervising FWH direction, and trying to help all FWH users as much as I can, but it is not just "me". We are a great team that actively work on FWH. I could be easily replaced and FWH will continue ahead and very much alive, exaclty like when the CEO of a large company is replaced :-)

Many users here have clearly express their desire to have an open source reports engine, free, that could be included in their apps. EasyReport may not be as powerfull as FR now, but if we finally get it from Timm, we may read this thread in a few years and who knows how powerfull will be EasyReport by then :-)

I can remember when Linus Torvalds started Linux. Nobody considered him as a real menace. Now see how powerfull Linux is. Harbour is getting more and more users every day, literally thousands of users around the world. If Clipper is still used by some companies, how many years will Harbour be alive ? Same as Linux. And how long time FWH will be used ? I would say a long long time ahead :-)

Sorry for the long post, but its good to explain this so all of us clearly understand it :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby MGA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Lucas,

Really?.
Yes

No, most believe it to operate normally.

And with FWH64?.
ubiratanmga@gmail.com

FWH18.02
FWPPC
Harbour/xHarbour
xMate
Pelles´C
TDolphin
MGA

Postby karinha » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Master Antonio, Very, very good!! :D
João Santos - São Paulo - Brasil - Phone: +55(11)95150-7341
karinha

Postby Marco Turco » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 am

Dear Antonio,
I know your point of view and I understand your explain. Also I really appreciate the job many FWH user did any day to improve the library.
Anyway, developing a commercial app means for us to compete with other IT companies and other languages so your approch to develop anything in-house in order to have the source code for any component has some limits now. Just a small sample to be clear: I need a RichText component in FWH, of course I can use tRichtext but a competitor with Delphi can immediately use TX Text control that is another history. Always, I could find someone in New Zealand or China (for example) that alredy did a wrapper for this component and kindly share it but this way my business is on the hand of a thirth part and if it dies or it retires I will have problem with the component.

It would be very different if you manage in-house all the wrappers to professional thirth part components. It will have a develop cost for Fivetech but this isn't a problem for a IT company that can pay for an extended FWH library.

In my opinion you should start to think to a two different FWH versions, one with the basic components developed by you and FWH users and another one and another one with thirth part components interfaces included.

The "Spirin" lesson isn't "we should develop anything in-house" but "Fivetech should manage in-house the thirth part component interfaces"

Antonio Linares wrote:Dear Marco,

I fully respect your opinion, but the way I see it is that FWH allows you to use whatever third party tool that you may want to use: If you want to use FR then you are free to do so. Other users also used Crystal Reports, etc. This means total freedom to choose the right tools for you.

Along the years I have learned (we all have learned) that using "closed" software solutions always bring troubles, sooner or later. See what happens with OLE components, i.e. as CodeJock. Here in the forums you can review all sort of troubles that users had.

To me the point is not to discuss what report engine is better. Everyone here is free to choose the one that he prefers, and this is real fine.

Timm did a great job with EasyReport. Ok, it may be far away from FR, but if we are lucky enough to get its source code, and given the potential that we all have here, EasyReport will improve very much. Now, look at the advantages: no need to use an external DLL, self contained EXEs, etc. Having its full sources will give us total freedom to modify and enhance it. And please notice that I say "we", not "I" (me) :-)

Regarding being FiveTech a single-man company, I totally disagree with you. From an external point of view, someone who know anything about FWH, it may seems so. But if you review these forums activity, and if you know the real evolution of FWH, its not true. it is the result of a great team of people along the years :-)

I am just the owner of FiveTech, but how many developers actively work and worked on the FWH source code ? Nageswararao (India): he has done an incredible job on the Class TXbrowse, ADO management, but not only on those areas, lots of code besides those come from him and also a great tech support that he provides on these forums. Daniel (Venezuela): the RibbonBar, TFolderEx, TTitle, PNG support, etc (just to name a few of them), Enrico (Italy) great tech support here for years, Charly (Barcelona) The FWH debugger (just to name one of his best contributions), Uwe Koening (Germany) for state of the art graphics managements, etc., Paco García (Madrid-SAGE) he has built lots of classes and extensions to FWH, Manuel Alvarez (Spain) he not only masters FWH, but also FiveMac, Cristobal Navarro always helping here and now besides mastering FWH is learning and surely enhancing soon FiveMac, Anser K.K. (India) always providing great tech support and fixes, Rafa Carmona (Barcelona) have developed many usefull classes that many of use use, etc. (surely I miss to name many of them as even for me its impossible to remember and thank to all of them). See how many FWH Classes are all around, developed by FWH users. And this means that lots of users nowdays have the mastery to make FWH grow as needed. I don't know any other xbase related company that have this
level of flexibility and openess that FiveTech has offered for years. And to me, this is the key for the real success of FWH. All of you have been cooperating with the development of FWH for years and years :-)

In fact the official FWH repository where all its sources are kept, is placed at bitbucket.org (on a private repository) but its not just me who has access to it. For years a group of selected developers had and have access to it, working in a perfect coordination: Nageswararao, Daniel, Charly, Uwe, Anser K.K., Enrico and more (because we are always open to welcome new contributors when they show real interest about it). Recently another Spanish software development company has been given access to it (I don't know if they may mind to name them), having access to FiveTech sources. More over, just review your FWH sources folders and more than 95% FWH sources are there. How many bugs and fixes have been solved by all the users ? So WE, all together, have the real full potential to make FWH grow. There are lots and lots of FWH Classes in internet developed by so many developers, that to me its impossible to remember all their names. I don't know of any other company that has provided this level of openess and great coordination between private and open sources.

In fact, if I would die, I have given clear instructions to my wife and some collegues (great friends), so FWH will continue alive, growing and publishing new versions. Full sources are at bitbucket.org. Just the right login and password, and its all there. To me I am just the technical leader, supervising FWH direction, and trying to help all FWH users as much as I can, but it is not just "me". We are a great team that actively work on FWH. I could be easily replaced and FWH will continue ahead and very much alive, exaclty like when the CEO of a large company is replaced :-)

Many users here have clearly express their desire to have an open source reports engine, free, that could be included in their apps. EasyReport may not be as powerfull as FR now, but if we finally get it from Timm, we may read this thread in a few years and who knows how powerfull will be EasyReport by then :-)

I can remember when Linus Torvalds started Linux. Nobody considered him as a real menace. Now see how powerfull Linux is. Harbour is getting more and more users every day, literally thousands of users around the world. If Clipper is still used by some companies, how many years will Harbour be alive ? Same as Linux. And how long time FWH will be used ? I would say a long long time ahead :-)

Sorry for the long post, but its good to explain this so all of us clearly understand it :-)
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 am

Marco,

Again, I fully respect your opinions, but sincerelly I don't share them.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby lucasdebeltran » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:33 pm

Sgs,

And with FWH64?.

So, please try it and you will see it does NOT work my friend.

Un saludo, Best regards,

lucasdebeltran

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour