Develop Cross-Platform with Visual Studio

Develop Cross-Platform with Visual Studio

Postby Jonathan Hodder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:00 am

After viewing

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2014/511

This cross platform use for mobile devices for Android and IOS is quite an undertaking MS has taken on.
It appears as if MS is drawing in other established products.

The examples the video refer to use C# www.xamarin.com and Java elements www.cordova.apache.org in Visual Studio.
I was wondering how C++ (Harbour) will fit into the Visual Studio environment MS is creating.

Then I read tantalising phrases like
"We are building the engine"
"project that Sarabjeet has been working on"
"Sarabjeet to adapt his work to the new Visual Studio Community"
I am hoping that cleaver people such as Sarabjeet and Antonio have recognised the need to link into the work MS is doing with Visual Studio Community.

Where can I find out more about Sarabjeet's project?

To risk ridicule may I say this may well make Java/HTML applications for web browses obsolete! At least the applications that I am interested in making with FW. Interested your comments.

Also, I can see why Tim Stone has started compiling with VS
Jonathan Hodder

Re: Develop Cross-Platform with Visual Studio

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:25 am

Jonathan,

Here we have all that has been done up to now with Sarabjeet's help:
https://bitbucket.org/fivetech/myclanguageservice/wiki/Home

And here there is a video that explains it:
https://bitbucket.org/fivetech/myclanguageservice/downloads/Step%20to%20Run%20Project.mkv

Anyhow the above is just to technically understand what we are doing. Once it is finished, FWH users will just have to easily install a VS extension and Harbour will be fully integrated into Visual Studio :-)

So if any of you watch the video and does not understand it, do not worry about it. The final result will be so easy to install and use. The complexity is just for building it :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Hodder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 pm

As usual you are onto it.
I completely missed the progress that was being made starting back in June. Work commitments.

One question. Using our existing Fw/harbour programs, will this lead to being able to link in various components in Visual Studio to produce cross platform programs? If so I am estatic!!
Jonathan Hodder

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:42 am

Jonathan,

The Visual Studio Community and its new cross platform development support is such a new and unexpected capability that we don't know yet for sure how far we can go with it :-)

I am starting testing and learning it. So I guess that quite soon we will be able to discover what real possibilities we have there.

I am a little worried as it seems as they based everything on .NET (I am not afraid of that as I already developed a FiveNet prototype whose technology we can use now https://code.google.com/p/fivenet/) so that may bring more complexity but if we are able to apply FiveNet tech foundation to it then we could get incredibly results. So it will be just a matter of some months to really discover its real potential :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan Hodder » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 am

Antonio

I, and others I'm sure will be watching closely. Keep up the good work.
Jonathan Hodder

Postby Rick Lipkin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Antonio

I see dot net evolving only for the asp.net and c# folks which is directed at developing database web applications. I do not think there is much of a dot net market for Windows Gui applications, cross platform or for the phone\tablets products. Microsoft has already played that card and the stats show not many developers are or have used the current cross platform capability.

Dot net is a deployment nightmare for any developer and I think most Enterprise Cio's realize the futility of distributing ( dot net ) because dot net is the Achilles heel in the Microsoft development environment.

FiveWin's strength ( and market ability ) is being able to create awesome 32 or 64 bit Windows Gui apps that can be developed and deployed as a single executable with the ability to connect to most any Sql RDMS in most cases without any third party Ole Sql connectivity clients or dot net framework. ( plus,plus,plus,plus )

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Rick,

100% agreed :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour