Migrating to Harbour

Re: Migrating to Harbour

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Enrico,

I never migrated to Harbour :-) I use Harbour since its very early beginning.

And never had the need to copy a file with non-ascii characters.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Antonio Linares wrote:And never had the need to copy a file with non-ascii characters.

I can't believe this. Spanish has non-ascii characters. What if you have to copy a user document with unpredictable filename?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby James Bott » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Enrico,

Is that correct? I would prefer to not use something related to a specific language.

I am wondering if xHarbour is already requesting the same codepage, and if so, then you already are using something related to a specific language. Have you looked at the source code for xHarbour for the codepage (using a global search)? Or, maybe just reviewing the source for memowrit() and copyfile() would turn up something.
James Bott

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Enrico,

I am mostly a system developer not an application developer :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:01 pm

James,

James Bott wrote:Enrico,

Is that correct? I would prefer to not use something related to a specific language.

I am wondering if xHarbour is already requesting the same codepage, and if so, then you already are using something related to a specific language. Have you looked at the source code for xHarbour for the codepage (using a global search)? Or, maybe just reviewing the source for memowrit()

Just searched. It's not so easy to understand the code. Anyway, I found nothing related to unicode.

James Bott wrote:and copyfile() would turn up something.

CopyFile() is a Windows API function. I'm very confused...

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Antonio,

Antonio Linares wrote:Enrico,

I am mostly a system developer not an application developer :-)

Ok. But what about the other friends that already migrated to Harbour? Am I the only one with these problems? I can't believe that...

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Enrico,

You got it working, so surely you did it the right way :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby James Bott » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Enrico,

CopyFile() is a Windows API function. I'm very confused...

I was just thinking that if they are using a codepage that it may be getting called in the code for the API call.

If Harbour is not calling the codepage anywhere then maybe that is the problem. If you can find it called in xHarbour then that would seem to confirm that is the difference between the two languages.
James Bott

Postby TimStone » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Enrico,

I am an application developer ...
I've been using xBase variants for over 32 years ( back to dBase II with the Ashton Tate runtime license on a CP/M machine ).

Previously I used xHarbour( .com ) version and still have it building a distribution version of my application.
I also have a fully functioning build of the same program using Harbour, FWH, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 ( Visual Studio 2013 Professional, with latest updates )

I use one set of source code for both builds. I use Ultra Edit Studio and have a native build ( Windows ) and a called routine ( xHarbour builder ). Thus I only have one set of source code to revise, enhance and build.

I have no problems building working code. The only issue I have is with Harbour and the ADS drivers. I have a version of the libs for xharbour that work with all versions of ADS, but the one I have for Harbour only works with ADS 9 and above.

I am currently working on a new version of my software built completely within Visual Studio 2013, using Harbour and FWH.

ALL of my projects are fully functional, and I have no build problems in any of the 3.

I believe you use Borland. I do not so I can't share anything about how it might work. Perhaps you have some functions tuned for Borland and that is where your problem lies. I can assure you that the tools I am using are working very well, they are fast, and there are no current problems.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Tim,

have you tried my samples?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby TimStone » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:24 pm

No ... I really can't now. Sorry.

I am in the middle of a huge amount of work. I am taking 33 years of code and optimizing it into classes. I find a lot of repetitive functions that I can eliminate ( 3 or 4 functions in different areas of the application that all do basically the same thing and can be reduced to 1 ). There are over 110 .prg files, some with over 8000 lines of code.

This is all being done with Visual Studio 2013 ( soon to be tested with VS 2015 preview ), FWH, and Harbour. It is also being tested on Windows 10 preview AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING.

I just wanted to let you know that I have been 100% successful with Harbour and MSFT Visual Studio languages.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby James Bott » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Enrico,

Are you only having issues with the memoWrit(), copyfile(), and memoLine() routines and everything thing else is working? Or, have you found other issues?
James Bott

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:20 pm

James,

James Bott wrote:Are you only having issues with the memoWrit(), copyfile(), and memoLine() routines and everything thing else is working? Or, have you found other issues?

At the moment I'm very tired of Harbour. :-)

Anyway, I would like to fix that issues before keeping on...

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby James Bott » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:35 pm

I was just thinking that those are very specific issues for you but maybe not for everyone.

It seems that at the very worst you could compile those three functions from xHarbour and link them into your app when compiling with Harbour and that would get you a running app (provided there aren't other issues too).

Isn't there a Harbour forum where you might post your problems? Maybe then they would get fixed.

I might also point out that these may not be considered bugs, but rather things that xHarbour supports that Harbour doesn't. If you were moving from Harbour to xHarbour I expect you would also find incompatibilities.
James Bott

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:49 pm

James,

James Bott wrote:I was just thinking that those are very specific issues for you but maybe not for everyone.

It seems that at the very worst you could compile those three functions from xHarbour and link them into your app when compiling with Harbour and that would get you a running app (provided there aren't other issues too).

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

James Bott wrote:Isn't there a Harbour forum where you might post your problems? Maybe then they would get fixed.

I dropped Harbour years ago because of the bad attitude of its developers (specifically Viktor).

James Bott wrote:I might also point out that these may not be considered bugs, but rather things that xHarbour supports that Harbour doesn't. If you were moving from Harbour to xHarbour I expect you would also find incompatibilities.

Ok, I'll going on, we'll see...

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour