Windows 10

Re: Windows 10

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:33 pm

Tim,

I also tested all the Windows 7 and 8 betas on these computers and went fine.

Anyhow there are lots of Windows users using Apple computers, so Microsoft will have to solve these issues.

What I say is that they are really in short time to deliver the promised RTM in the announced date.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:36 pm

I still remember when I was testing Windows 8 betas and many of us said that it was going to be a failure.

To me it is quite absurd to have announced a release date for Windows 10 when it is far from being ready yet. Microsoft could have waited to have ready Windows 10 and then announce the RTM date. I understand Microsoft is under a big preasure to deliver Windows 10 due Windows 8 fiasco but to rush it is a big mistake.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi, using Windows 10 in my tablet, notebook, Windows phone and desktop, without any major problems. but the RTM being something build 10.800, so it must be another "branch".
This reserve, this appearing as an icon, allows you to download the Windows before the day 29, stay ready to install, on 29/07.
remembering that the update is free, for Windows 7 and 8.1, but note that the update is free, not the "copy", during the lifetime of the device. that is, are you going to do the update and have free updates for the lifetime of that device, if you need to do a clean installation, you can, but if you change hardware or you device "die", will need a new license.
Antonio: Windows has a list of certified hardware, and with the new safety rules, including safe boot, to avoid loaders, would be your hardware on this list?
Best regards
norberto

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Norberto,

I have not reviewed such list, but Apple hardware must be there for sure, if they are not crazy :-)

All Windows versions work fine on Apple, so Windows 10 should not be an exception.

10130 keeps hanging and loosing wifi. I am sufering them myself ;-)

Anyhow I keep using it as I know that Microsoft will solve it, sooner or later.

I really enjoy the "new" Microsoft. Hopefully the deliver all their promises :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Antonio,

It seems that this error has been fixed in build 10.135. anyway, (X)harbour + FW applications work without a problem... :)
norberto

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Norberto,

norberto wrote:Antonio,

It seems that this error has been fixed in build 10.135. anyway, (X)harbour + FW applications work without a problem... :)

Yes, they work really fine :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Antonio, Windows 10 has a free version, called windows 10 IOT (internet of things), for devices such as raspberry Pi 2, have you tried to compile harbour for this? Raspberry can be purchased for USD 35. :)

regards
norberto

Postby TimStone » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Antonio,

My test machine is not on WiFi so I have no issue with that. There is a known audio bug that is apparently creating many problems but they are still trying to track it. I think that is probably at the root of the Cortana issue.

As I said, I have absolutely no problem with the controls, speed, fast response, etc.

There are still many issues on PREVIEW for WInPhone Mobile, but it has now been made clear the release date for it is NOT 7/29. Only PCs update starting on that date. They have also announced that on that date they expect to still have issues to resolve, but the will keep the Insider program running and constantly work with the input.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:56 am

Tim,

Do you know when Continuum will be available ?

Also I read that Microsoft plans to release a Windows version to overwrite some Android devices. Do you have some more news about this ?

I enjoy the Continuum concept very much.

Many thanks for your great info :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:01 pm

Antonio,

Continuum is already a part of Windows 10. It is working on tablets and desktops in current builds, and continues to be enhanced.

Continuum for Windows Phone will require new Qualcomm hardware in the devices, but already phones that will be released with Win 10 have it. Several have been announced.

This is all part of the universal app strategy. Anything you buy, you pay for once, and it works across all devices. With phones, they become your PC in your hand and go with you anywhere. Paired with the right I/O, they become a desktop. For example, use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a wireless monitor connection, and you have no wiring, but instant desktop. The display switches on the large monitor to be keyboard/mouse driven. Walk away with your phone and it becomes a touch device once again.

I have an HP Stream 7 hand held tablet. It was only $99 through the Microsoft Store. I just installed 10130 on it. I should be able to pair it with a keyboard ( haven't tried yet, but I will soon ) and a monitor, in which case it should work as a desktop computer. I will let you know my test results.

There is no reason to overwrite any Android devices. Microsoft Lumia phones, and many other manufacturers, are releasing many very inexpensive new Windows phones throughout the world. There is no benefit to modify an Android device. What they did was to create a package that allows developers to take existing iOS and Android apps, and to create Windows Phone apps from them with essentially no code changes. However, they could decide to enhance them to take advantage of services in Windows Phones not found in either of the other two devices. For example, Cortana is amazing, as people will realize when they start using it. I've used it since it's release, and it is constantly improving. The best thing is that it can be used with your apps. In time we may have the IO necessary in FWH to use the Cortana SDK. Then our apps could use voice control. Right now I have it on my 3 test devices with Win 10, all using Hey Cortana voice activation. So I can walk into my office and say "Hey Cortana" and give it in instruction, ie. "Hey Cortana, remind me to email Antonio Linares at 8:30 this morning". It tells me OK, and at 8:30, my computer speaks up and reminds me to email you. That is all working now. Can you imagine using that technology in our apps ? Also, I should be able to do that at my desk, then take off to water the yard, and have my phone remind me at 8:30.

The beauty of all of this is that it will constantly update. No longer will we wait a year for a new release. Now we shall have this continually evolving in our systems, and we will be able to elect to accept only fully tested and stable releases, or be on the fast track to get everything new as it comes out. This is all done automatically. In the Preview program it is called Fast or Slow updating, and I understand that will continue, as will the Insider program to allow users to provide feedback to the development teams.
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Tim,

Many thanks for your very valuable info.

I have an HP Stream 7 hand held tablet. It was only $99 through the Microsoft Store. I just installed 10130 on it. I should be able to pair it with a keyboard ( haven't tried yet, but I will soon ) and a monitor, in which case it should work as a desktop computer. I will let you know my test results

I am very curious to know your results.

How do you activate Cortana in Windows 10 ? I use to work as Administrator to have full control. Does it work with Administrator too ?
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Click on the search bar ( lower left side ) and a menu pops up. It will ask if you want to activate Cortana, then a few questions. Then look to the left on the popup and click on the setup gear for more specific settings.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Sadly it seems as it is not available for Spain yet :-(
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 pm

It won't be long. It's not a simple language translation issue. Cortana is highly integrated into the Bing search engine, and that is where it derives it's power. You can be sure Microsoft will be adding that support ASAP. It also trains to your voice. The changes to the OS are so massive right now and all of their resources are aimed at this transition. The fall sales season drives so much because people become impatient and get "something else". That is why they are pushing the 7/29 release date ... so people will really see what is available.

I have friends who have never looked at a Windows Phone. When they tell me what they want to do with their phone, and can't on iPhone or Android, I show them how to do it on a WinPhone. They are shocked because they never heard of one before. The sales people here NEVER show them even if they are the perfect solution for the client, and even though they have some in stock. I've watched this happen over and over again.

The next year will be most interesting.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby cnavarro » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:59 pm

TimStone wrote:Antonio,

I have an HP Stream 7 hand held tablet. It was only $99 through the Microsoft Store. I just installed 10130 on it. I should be able to pair it with a keyboard ( haven't tried yet, but I will soon ) and a monitor, in which case it should work as a desktop computer. I will let you know my test results.

Tim,
I purchased that same Tablet 6 months ago
I will be very aware of their progress
thanks
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour