OT: Windows 10 - stop upgrade

Re: OT: Windows 10 - stop upgrade

Postby TimStone » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Antonio,

I read that. The lady pleaded "ignorance" about Windows 10. Seriously ? So she bought a new computer. It probably had Windows 10 installed !

My point was that people need to take a close look at WHY they are opposed to Windows 10. Is it because they dislike MSFT ? If so, I think that is a pretty poor reason to deprive one's clients of a free upgrade. James brought up a personal hardware problem, but further research shows its actually an HP trackpad issue that was present in Windows 8 ( and perhaps before ) with tons of documentation, and HP is just ignoring it. Other people bring up software compatibility. Maybe they should look at writing software to replace the lazy companies who use very old technology. That's an excellent marketplace for FWH developers. EVERYTHING we write works perfectly in Windows 10 !

Why is it important ? For many years we have heard about how the focus will be on running applications across all platforms, but no one has actually made that happen. Now, if you look closely, that is exactly what Microsoft is doing, and they are making it possible for us to do the same thing. We can write major applications with FWH for Windows and, if you use Visual Studio, you can build apps for iOS and Android at the same time so devices can supplement your work. Look at Microsoft products ( ie. Office, the Band, Cortana, etc ). They are working on Windows, iOS, and Android ... same programs, same data resources, all platforms.

Windows 10 is making this possible. Before fighting it, why not consider the possibilities?

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:14 pm

I believe that Windows 10 is the best Windows ever but I also understand that an automatic upgrade may cause serious troubles
if some apps give problems. Fortunately FWH and Harbour/xHarbour work great on Windows 10 too :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby MarcoBoschi » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:37 am

Our experience in brief:
we received a lot of calls caused by this upgrade: printer and devices drivers, rights on volume and folder, general system slowness and so on. These are problems that stop users for a few hours anyway.
Users using Live Mail in Windows 7 have encountered many problems.

Obviously I do not mean use of Fivewin programs :D
MarcoBoschi

Postby TimStone » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Marco,

I have found that Win 10 is much stronger in enforcing security, especially with networking. With some clients, I did have to go into the Networking Advanced Options and make sure everything was correct. I use Team Viewer and do everything remotely for my clients so it only takes a few minutes.

I generally have had no problem with print drivers. I have an older HP laser printer and a Brother inkjet on my system and they both updated perfectly. I have one client who has very old dot matrix printers, and they had to get more recent drivers from the manufacturers website. Those were also parallel port printers. Aside from that, no problems.

One major problem I have seen is the anti-virus software some people use. It is all built in to Win 10, so no other product is necessary. However, some tech people insist on installing other software ( especially "free trials" ) and those often conflict and slow down processes, especially with networking. Even those claiming to be fully compatible with Windows 10 are not really. Once I have removed those, everything works beautifully. When someone buys a new computer with Norton or McAfee pre-installed, the first thing I do is remove it. Those programs are nothing but nightmares! Norton has a section that will remove any program it does not recognize. It never asks. It just deletes it. Anything we write gets removed ! A company has to register ( pay Norton ) to not have this happen. I simply delete Norton !

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Randal » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Tim:

I'm not talking about the validity of upgrading, features, or reasons for or against upgrading, or anything like that. I like Windows 10 and think it's a very stable environment. I encourage my customers to do the upgrade. All that aside, my point is that the normal behavior for clicking the red X in the upper right corner of a window is to close the window without making a selection. MS changed this behavior therefore duping their users into doing the upgrade when they didn't want to and the change was intentional for this very reason. A lot of people don't like being tricked into doing something they don't want to do no matter how good it might be for them or how much you think it's in their best interest.

Randy

TimStone wrote:Randal,

I don't think anything is sneaky or underhanded. I've spent a lot of time in detailed conversations with MSFT, and have been a tester of every version since the beginning, including Win 10 on phone, tablet, and desktop. A lot of people will be furious when they realize the negative commenters have cost them a lot of money when they suddenly decide they want the features of Win 10 and can no longer get it for free. The trolls have been complaining that the updates were too hard, and too difficult to find and begin, so Microsoft heard that and made it easy / semi-automatic and now the same people complain the update is being pushed out. Soon they will complain that Win 7 support has ended. These people are NEVER happy and make everyone aware of their dissatisfaction.

Randal

Postby MarcoBoschi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:08 pm

Tim believe you.
This does not seem correct way this upgrade takes place.
That's all.
You Turn on the PC in the early morning, then maybe go to meeting,
come back after an hour and you find a lot of things that no
longer work.

Maybe we are unprepared and Microsoft has given directions
on how to do with customers , I do not know..
MarcoBoschi

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour