Convert to Pelles or keep Workshop on Win7-32 bit

Convert to Pelles or keep Workshop on Win7-32 bit

Postby Marc Venken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 am

In finalysing my conversion from older 16 bit to 32 bit. I need to convert my Dll file (resources)

I just saw a post from Antonio that for Win7 32 bit, we can keep using Workshop?
I don't program for others, so I can stay on 32 bit for much longer that you guys.

But can I use the fancy Buttons, Folders like Mr. Uwe uses in this way with RWS, or should I just convert to Pelles ?

In my case, I open RWS and copy the recource as text in a .RC file, edit the text (like Tim does) and save the file for linking.
This works ok, but there is stuff inside that has to be removed before it works (All Borland related rc's are a problem)

Also : Keep a DLL or Work with a RC file that converts to a RES file when compiled?

Thanks
Marc Venken
Using: FWH 23.04 with Harbour
Marc Venken

Re: Convert to Pelles or keep Workshop on Win7-32 bit

Postby Rick Lipkin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Marc

The resource editor is not a problem .. you have Pelles C ( as you mentioned ), there is Resedit ( my editor of choice ). As far as .dll's .. forget about .dll's .. compile your .rc to .res and link in the .res file into your Executable .. one less file to deploy.

Borland Resource Workshop is ( was ) a great product .. I wish Borland would have made the BRW code open source and let the community upgrade it to 32 and 64 bit, unfortunately that is not going to happen. Staying at 32 bit for your development may be ok for now, but almost every Computer today runs at 64 bit and I would rather develop on the same 64 bit OS platform so I know my product will run just fine in the main stream.

Here is a sample batch file I use for Bcc73 to copy all my single .rc forms into a monolithic .rc and compile to .res .. there are lots of different ways to accomplish the same thing .. I just choose to work with individual forms as single .rc's then copy them all together and compile the monolithic .rc to .res

Rick Lipkin

Code: Select all  Expand view

@Echo Off

DEL VehW32.RC
DEL Veh3W2.RES

COPY *.RC VehW32.RC

C:\BORLAND\BCC73\BIN\brcc32 -iC:\BORLAND\BCC73\include -v -iC:\BORLAND\BCC73\include\dinkumware -iC:\BORLAND\BCC73\include\windows\sdk VehW32.Rc >Rick.Txt

rem c:\ResEditx64\ResEdit.exe -convert VehW32.Rc VehW32.Res

del *.iL?
del *.map
del *.obj
del *.~rc
del *.rws
:del *.res
del *.tds
echo done!

Rick Lipkin

Postby TimStone » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Marc,

Because I auto update my clients, I only want one distribution file with code changes. So, in my build scripts, I have the .rc which compiles to an .res whenever any changes are detected. Since I do make a number of updates to the .rc, this is all seamless and included in the .exe that gets distributed.

One of my advantages is my clients never live with bugs. If something is reported, it is fixed right away, and the next morning when they come to work, the fix is present on their computer. If it happens to be a big deal, I can push out an update within minutes and they can force an immediate download and install ... so if something slips by in a normal update causing any disruption, they might be past it in 15 or 20 minutes. If I had to do a dual build ( .dll and .exe ) it would be more complicated and more room for error.

BTW, even though I have "computer glasses" ( prescription ), it's still hard for me to see size differences when using a resource editor. Thus, my method of doing the editing manually works well for me. I can be assured everything is on the same line, and the same sizes, and with the same column position. You could use a resource editor to make your initial layout, then fine tune it within your editor. Of course if your eyes are super sharp, you might not have the same issue.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Marc Venken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks.

I will continue with copying from dll to rc and let it compile to res for execution.
I do fine tune in the rc txt file.

I just notice that some stuff will give errors (like borland controls), but they can be changed as I see samples.

In the resource we simple make the item (like button), but in source we fine tune them.
Are there some more samples out where there is a screen (jpg) and a rc file as a sample ?

I also found samples where for ex. (Xbrowse is defined like this)

CONTROL "", 9000, "TXBrowse", WS_TABSTOP, 1, 2, 563, 149

but also with this : BS_OWNERDRAW | WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | WS_TABSTOP,

Ok, I can copy it, and it works, but I don't know what they are. Are there manuals out for this ?
Marc Venken
Using: FWH 23.04 with Harbour
Marc Venken

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Rick Lipkin wrote:Borland Resource Workshop is ( was ) a great product .. I wish Borland would have made the BRW code open source and let the community upgrade it to 32 and 64 bit, unfortunately that is not going to happen.

A 32 bit version of BRW actually exists. But I didn't like it and I preferred to write my own resource editor.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Enrico

At one time I had the 32 bit version of Borland Resource Workshop ( I think you may have set it to me ) .. it did some weird things and was buggy and I did not like it either ..

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby TimStone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Rick,

I recently move to an iMac as my primary development computer, using Parallels. Yesterday I tried installing ResEdit but it just didn't want to work.

I may try again. Every other Windows program has installed and run fine.

Tim
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Tim

Recently the ResEdit site was hacked and the ResEdit installer was compromised with adware .. I have the latest ( clean build ) of ResEdit 64 bit and I can zip it up and send it to you ..

Let me know
Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Tim

Follow up .. the Resedit editor needs to see these includes to open any legacy .rc's ..

Code: Select all  Expand view

// Generated by ResEdit 1.6.6
// Copyright (C) 2006-2015
// http://www.resedit.net

#include <windows.h>
#include <commctrl.h>
//#include "resource.h"
//#define WC_STATIC L"Static"
//#define MONTHCAL_CLASS "SysMonthCal32"
//#define DATETIMEPICK_CLASS "SysDateTimePick32"

Generally the two top #Includes are all you need for most .Rc's to open..

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby TimStone » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:17 pm

The problem is when I put in the path, it did not save. I will retry today ... different location. VM technology is something I haven't worked with much through the years ...
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 am

>A 32 bit version of BRW actually exists. But I didn't like it and I preferred to write my own resource editor.

Ciao Enrico,
Natale a molto vicino. Ti voglio chiedere se forse puoi fare un altro regalo come EMAGDBU.EXE a noi. EMAGDBU.EXE e per noi un grosso aiuto e funziona sempre.

Tanti saluti
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 am

Se posso. Che regalo vorreste?

If I can. What gift would you want?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:38 pm

To All

I have asked Santa several times for a nice resource editor that integrates with FiveWin .. maybe Cristobal can integrate Re.exe into FiveEdit ...

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Hello Enrico,
thank you. I understood you wrong.
I thought you have written your own resource editor and you are working with your own.
And maybe you would share this.
Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Yes, it is freely downloadable from my website (download page). But please note that it is only compatible with CONTROL syntax (but it can be improved).

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour