Fast Report´s future

Re: Fast Report´s future

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Mon May 11, 2020 5:42 pm

Otto,
I saw ER is inside on the fwh lib, but only to print ?
If I wish open and modify a vrd file How I must make ?

then this is the er I have Personal edition acquired from Timm

I wish zoom each area, Can I do ?

I don't see it well I'm almost 55 years old and I have to use glasses I can't go crazy because a box is not in its place where it should be, the class to make the box does not work well,
and I use a ASUS ROG 17 ''

take a good look at this figure:

if I take a line with the mouse, the position is actually lower than the line, look at the box in gray color,

I barely took the line drawn under the ruler

instead the line when one the change should be in its place

with boxes and figures it is almost difficult if not impossible

try it too, if you not belive me !!!

I am not telling you nonsense, I really have not found benefit,
if you have to make an invoice without lines and graphics then ER could be fine,
if the user has his own invoice model the god draw the same then how do you do it ?
all these problems have not been corrected

can I move an object in a circular way? ( NO)

another thing
in ITALY I have to build a small castle that is a box where there are ive, the separation of ive with ER is impossible to do
a long time ago I also asked TIMM directly without having a complete answer
so it can't be done
sample ( made with MyRpt)
Since from 1991/1992 ( fw for clipper Rel. 14.4 - Momos)
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby mgsoft » Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 pm

Hello,

Since we don't have the expertise to fix EasyReport, unless Antonio gets involved and devotes resources, we have two options:

The class for FastReport that Cristobal is already developing.

Using Word to have the user customize the documents and we fill the info in our .prg.

My two cents.
Saludos,

Eduardo
mgsoft

Postby cnavarro » Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 pm

When we got the EasyReport source code, Manuel Alvarez and I spent a lot of time adapting the old code to the new versions of Harbor and xHarbour, but we didn't get anyone else to contribute code or test to receive feedbacks to help us debug our developments. The lack of support made us leave the project, because we thought that, when we did not receive news from any colleague, it was because there was no interest in its use.
What did happen is that when the code was adapted, and it could be built EasyReport with the new versions of Harbour and xHarbour, there were many downloads. From there no more news.

Cuando conseguimos el código fuente de EasyReport, Manuel Alvarez y yo dedicamos mucho tiempo en adaptar el antiguo código a las nuevas versiones de Harbour y xHarbour, pero no conseguimos que nadie más aportara código o hiciera pruebas para ir recibiendo feedbacks que nos ayudaran a ir depurando nuestros desarrollos. La falta de apoyo, nos hizo dejar el proyecto, porque pensamos que, al no recibir noticias de ningún compañero, era porque no había interés en su uso.
Lo que sí ocurrió, es que cuando el código estuvo adaptado y ya se podía construir EasyReport con las nuevas versiones de Harbour y xHarbour, sí hubo muchas descargas. A partir de ahí ninguna noticia más.
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

Postby Otto » Mon May 11, 2020 7:07 pm

Eduardo,
I can only say that I tried all the available report designers.

There are problems everywhere.
But with EasyReport we have the complete source code.

With EasyReport I have the right solution for my reports.
The VRD files are INI files and can also be changed directly from the program.
I don't think any other report gives a FIVEWIN programmer these options.

But it's like everywhere. You have to know the tools you are working with and you should be familiar to get the best out of it.

Changing the designer part is not that difficult either.

But if nobody is interested, nothing will happen.
I am satisfied and when I need something, I program it.

I also see that maybe these VRD ini files can be easily changed to support HTML than we could use it also with mod harbour.

Best regards
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Otto » Mon May 11, 2020 7:17 pm

Dear Cristobal,
Thank you for your work. I use your version of EasyReport nearly every day.
There are only little things missing - a week or so.
For personal use, you know the problems and have workarounds.
Only a new user is frustrated.
Then it would be the best Report designer of all.
Is the souece on github, too.

Best regards
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Marc Venken » Mon May 11, 2020 7:31 pm

mgsoft wrote:Hello,

Since we don't have the expertise to fix EasyReport, unless Antonio gets involved and devotes resources, we have two options:

The class for FastReport that Cristobal is already developing.

Using Word to have the user customize the documents and we fill the info in our .prg.

My two cents.

Now I generate a layout with a grapics program and save that as a A4.Jpg and call that in my program. (everything is possible and customers (I don't program for others) could simply make there own changes
Now I hard code the data

oPrn:CmSay( 8.16, 2.30, "C.I.F.:", oFontBold )
oPrn:CmSay( 8.16, 6.00, "Invoice nº:", oFontBold )
oPrn:CmSay( 8.16, 8.30, oBrw:InvNum:Value, oFontText )
oPrn:CmSay( 8.16, 11.20, "Date:", oFontBold )
oPrn:CmSay( 8.20, 12.45, DToC( oBrw:Date:Value ), oFontText )
oPrn:CmSay( 8.16, 15.60, "PayDate:", oFontBold )

I would prefer that a Xbrowse is called : XReport(Reportname) and a function that executes all rows in that report. I haven't found any sample of Xbrowse that is used this way (I would like a sample :D :D )
In my attemp to make it, I always struggle with variable and (&) or (alias) enz... I mean that when I type DToC( oBrw:Date:Value ) in a cell, it should become 11/05/2020.. mostly It stays of errors out...
Marc Venken
Using: FWH 23.04 with Harbour
Marc Venken

Postby TimStone » Mon May 11, 2020 8:04 pm

Most of my reports are hand programmed using the FWH printer class. I use multiple files, a variety of strutural formats, and I've got decades of legacy code in place. What I didn't have was a tool to offer my clients where they could build their own reports from within my application.

Years ago there was a call put out for donations to two projects.
1) Hire an expert who could integrate FWH/Harbvour into Visual Studio ( Community ).
2) Purchase and then develop EasyReport into a tool that we could integrate into our applications for our clients to use.

I donated to both project. The first one was abandoned with excuses by the developer and we never saw it actually implemented. WIth the 2nd one, it was discovered that, as I understood it, the source code was too problematic to integrate.

What I believed we were getting was the ability to call a class, create and save a report, and make it printable. It was my understanding it could be something that our clients could use to view data in their own format.

I did try about a year ago to integrate what Otto shared should allow me to use ER, but I was not successful. That was a busy time so I set it aside. If you want to move forward on this, I certainly have time now to devote to the working with the project. Of course I will need to document it for my clients to use, and I'd ve happy to share what I can produce if we can actually accomplish something of value here.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby cnavarro » Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Otto wrote:Dear Cristobal,
.../... I use your version of EasyReport nearly every day.

Dear Otto, I know this
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

Postby Antonio Linares » Tue May 12, 2020 7:39 am

We have migrated the EasyReport repository from Bitbucket into GitHub:

https://github.com/FiveTechSoft/EasyReport
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am

I would prefer that a Xbrowse is called : XReport(Reportname) and a function that executes all rows in that report. I haven't found any sample of Xbrowse that is used this way (I would like a sample :D :D )

I am not sure if this is what you want.
Please try this small piece of code:
Code: Select all  Expand view
  USE CUSTOMER
   XBREPORT oBrw DATASOURCE "CUSTOMER" ;
      COLUMNS "FIRST","CITY","SALARY" ;
      PICTURES nil, nil, "9,999,999.99"

This directly generates a report.

For full syntax see xbrowse.ch
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Postby mgsoft » Tue May 12, 2020 10:50 am

I believe you're all partly right.

The EasyReport print engine seems to be working well. Not the designer, because dragging controls doesn't work properly, and things get worse when you add boxes, lines, etc. as Silvio points out.

Besides having FastReport, I don't know what option would be easier, if we could be able to fix the EasyReport designer, whose code I've studied is quite complex and messy, or complete the designer made by Paco García, which seems to be far more stable, but lacks the print engine that could use the EasyReport one.

In any case, we have to be aware that this requires a very high level of programming knowledge, which I don't have in my case.
Saludos,

Eduardo
mgsoft

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Tue May 12, 2020 10:55 am

cnavarro wrote:When we got the EasyReport source code, Manuel Alvarez and I spent a lot of time adapting the old code to the new versions of Harbor and xHarbour, but we didn't get anyone else to contribute code or test to receive feedbacks to help us debug our developments. The lack of support made us leave the project, because we thought that, when we did not receive news from any colleague, it was because there was no interest in its use.
What did happen is that when the code was adapted, and it could be built EasyReport with the new versions of Harbour and xHarbour, there were many downloads. From there no more news.

Cuando conseguimos el código fuente de EasyReport, Manuel Alvarez y yo dedicamos mucho tiempo en adaptar el antiguo código a las nuevas versiones de Harbour y xHarbour, pero no conseguimos que nadie más aportara código o hiciera pruebas para ir recibiendo feedbacks que nos ayudaran a ir depurando nuestros desarrollos. La falta de apoyo, nos hizo dejar el proyecto, porque pensamos que, al no recibir noticias de ningún compañero, era porque no había interés en su uso.
Lo que sí ocurrió, es que cuando el código estuvo adaptado y ya se podía construir EasyReport con las nuevas versiones de Harbour y xHarbour, sí hubo muchas descargas. A partir de ahí ninguna noticia más.

Cristobal,
there was no interest from many because there were many problems that timm soldarbert never corrected
For example the procedure of the elements (Box, line, ..) is badly created, it had to be corrected and an Elements class and then subclasses (tbox, tLine, tImage, ...)
Each area had to have the ability to zoom, this is important because many people like myself have difficulty creating the print models because as I already told you when moving a line this is not in the right position (see the snapshot that I posted)
it's not nice to use third-class procedures (fast Report for sample)
we have to use fwh
after 12 years we have not yet had a decent visual report class, I am not able to create it but you who are Great Masters could have created it in a simple way!!!!

I have always said it would take MyRpt for how it is structured and the dialogs of the properties of ER objects (therefore without the tinspect of Myrpt)

To create a print, the user must have the whole page in front of him to better create the model and zoom in on the points to build the print model well

no one has listened to anyone, no one cares and over the years they have used GxReport first (which cost $ 800) and then fastreport
yet you can make a good report designer with few sources of fwh, I'm highly sure
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Tue May 12, 2020 4:59 pm

mgsoft wrote:I believe you're all partly right.

The EasyReport print engine seems to be working well. Not the designer, because dragging controls doesn't work properly, and things get worse when you add boxes, lines, etc. as Silvio points out.

Besides having FastReport, I don't know what option would be easier, if we could be able to fix the EasyReport designer, whose code I've studied is quite complex and messy, or complete the designer made by Paco García, which seems to be far more stable, but lacks the print engine that could use the EasyReport one.

In any case, we have to be aware that this requires a very high level of programming knowledge, which I don't have in my case.

Right mgsoft
it was what I was trying to make everyone understand, but nobody hears me, it would seem that no one has tried to create reports with ER, I have to do the invoices (graphically) and you really can't do it, with MyRpt I am there I succeed because Charles gave the possibility to insert the background image (in emf) to create the model.

because these people persist in not wanting to understand

We cannot contribute for a product that does not work, did not work well and only a waste of time,
the designer must rewrite it from the beginning as I said with a main class Elements and subclasses for the lines for the boxes and the you imagine just like Paco did

there are people who have created other more functional systems for example Infoser in Madrid (https://www.infoser.es/demostracion/) made a report designer from the fwh rpreview (see powerGest) , but never wanted to sell me the sources

this is a valid product

possible that we can not make a similar product?

Dear Otto
f you don't have these errors with ER  send us and publish your version,
  it means that you have a correct version of ER , we don't have it
  because you say that everything works for you ... or it's not true?
Silvio.Falconi

Postby TimStone » Wed May 13, 2020 12:08 am

Maybe I'm using something old ( or forgotten ).

Today I tried using the Easy Report sample included with the FWH 20.04. I was getting some errors, but worked past them ( essentially placement of the .VRD file and supporting files ). It finally opens the databases and browses them, and if I click on Easy Report, it does go to Preview mode. No errors. Also absolutely nothing on the preview page.

I'm working with the sample code, no modifications ...

So what needs to be done next to just get this sample working ?
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Wed May 13, 2020 5:44 am

TimStone wrote:Maybe I'm using something old ( or forgotten ).

Today I tried using the Easy Report sample included with the FWH 20.04. I was getting some errors, but worked past them ( essentially placement of the .VRD file and supporting files ). It finally opens the databases and browses them, and if I click on Easy Report, it does go to Preview mode. No errors. Also absolutely nothing on the preview page.

I'm working with the sample code, no modifications ...

So what needs to be done next to just get this sample working ?

Tim,
Read this message

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38865&p=232296#p232271

We talked about the designer not for the print system
Silvio.Falconi

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour