Number of Fields

Number of Fields

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:24 am

How Many fields can have a Dbf ?
Since from 1991/1992 ( fw for clipper Rel. 14.4 - Momos)
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Re: Number of Fields

Postby karinha » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:04 pm

In portuguese:

Usando o FoxBase 2.5, só permite criar 128 campos com 255 caracteres cada um. Via DBCREATE() do xHarbour, talvez uns 400 Campos, mas o FoxBase não abrirá. Melhor escolha é criar vários *.DBFs e dividir as tarefas entre eles.

In Español:

Usando FoxBase 2.5, solo le permite crear 128 campos con 255 caracteres cada uno. A través de DBCREATE () de xHarbour, tal vez 400 campos, pero FoxBase no se abre. La mejor opción es crear varios * .DBF y dividir las tareas entre ellos.

In English:

Using FoxBase 2.5, it only allows you to create 128 fields with 255 characters each. Via DBCREATE() from xHarbour, maybe 400 Fields, but FoxBase won't open. Best choice is to create multiple *.DBFs and split tasks among them.
João Santos - São Paulo - Brasil - Phone: +55(11)95150-7341
karinha

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:38 am

I think We use Harbour and Fivewin, So No Foxbase
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:58 am

Hi,
I think DBF is not the future .

It is safer to use SQL with Access or MySQL or MS SQL

SQL is very very faster than DBF .

Have a good day ,

Philippe from Belgium
Jack

Postby Otto » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:20 am

Hello Philippe,

>SQL is very very faster than DBF .

Can you please post a sample on small or medium-sized tables demonstrating this?

Especially for web pages, DBF files are easy to use.
Do you have experience with it? Comparisons? Demands on the server, server maintenance, flexibility when moving.

Security, since only a few people in the relationship use DBF files, they are already more secure in and of itself.

SQL servers like to be exposed to attacks from the web.
I think you should only use SQL if you are really a full-time developer.

I doubt that the claim you are making here can be made so general.

Does at the base, SQL uses something other than bits, 0 and 1 to program the database?

If you leave the statement you are making in general, then you are claiming that the SQL developers are smarter than these who developed the DBF database.

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Otto » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:22 am

Hello Philippe,

Here you see how easy you can administrate the content of a newspaper with DBF files.
I use DBU of Enrico.

This is the part of the source code

Best regards,
Otto

modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Otto » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:29 am

Hi Silvio,
May I ask what you store in your fields.

For example, I use one field to store if a guest has been in the hotel in the different years.

I use a character field and I insert:
"JNNJNJNNNJJJ"
The first chatacter is for the year 2010, the second for 2011, ...
J means he was a guest, N not.

This reduces the number of fields inside the database.

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:16 am

Otto wrote:Hi Silvio,
May I ask what you store in your fields.

For example, I use one field to store if a guest has been in the hotel in the different years.

I use a character field and I insert:
"JNNJNJNNNJJJ"
The first chatacter is for the year 2010, the second for 2011, ...
J means he was a guest, N not.

This reduces the number of fields inside the database.

Best regards,
Otto

Otto,
I have to make a training sheet for school gym and I have to enter the workouts per week for each subscriber (12 per day), the data of the subscribers require 5/6 fields in all they do about 365 fields I have not found a solution and then the archive it gets too big imagine if there are 2000 subscribers it's a colossal mess
I had thought of storing for each writing in an ascii file just like
1 | 123 | 45 | 23 | 102 | 34 |
where the numbers are the numbers of the workouts but it is not good because for each workout I have to enter 4 fields
Silvio.Falconi

Postby TimStone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:31 pm

Silvio,

That sounds doable if you use multiple DBFs that are linked.

For example:
An exercise description file
A student file ( one record for each student )
A daily exercise record ( it can have a link to the description, and one to the student, plus fields for date and results )

Your program then displays the data based on your selection criterion. To load the data each day, create an array. The first element can be the student name, and then the additional elements can be for the exercises they do that day. Using the student file, you create a two dimensional array, with one for each student. Then use an xbrowse, editable, to show the array. The user sees it and can fill in the values. When you save it, upon completion, the array elements are recorded in appended daily records for each student.

Views and reports can then be created to see the data, and you can even build a routine to edit it when desirable.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:38 am

TimStone wrote:Silvio,

That sounds doable if you use multiple DBFs that are linked.

For example:
An exercise description file
A student file ( one record for each student )
A daily exercise record ( it can have a link to the description, and one to the student, plus fields for date and results )

Your program then displays the data based on your selection criterion. To load the data each day, create an array. The first element can be the student name, and then the additional elements can be for the exercises they do that day. Using the student file, you create a two dimensional array, with one for each student. Then use an xbrowse, editable, to show the array. The user sees it and can fill in the values. When you save it, upon completion, the array elements are recorded in appended daily records for each student.

Views and reports can then be created to see the data, and you can even build a routine to edit it when desirable.

Tim

>That sounds doable if you use multiple DBFs that are linked.

I can't use many connected dbf.
I already use an archive for students.
I already use an archive for all exercises.

The archive I have to do is treated as if they were the training cards of a gym.
there are 12 exercises a day for six days and for each exercise memorize at least 6 fields,because each exercise can be the same as another boy or the same boy with different weights and measures, so for each exercise the sequence and annotations must be memorized
Silvio.Falconi

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour