Advantage Database Server

Re: Advantage Database Server

Postby Jimmy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:04 pm

hi,

Alaska have create PgDBE for Xbase++ to emulate ISAM Style

People want to use it instead of ADS while they "think" that Alaska found "Wonder-Pile"
i have "testdrive" early Version of PgDBE and Concept seems "interessing" but what i got ...

it have to do with xBase "Index" to use "in" SQL for ISAM Style
Alaska did create a "internal" FIELD for each xBase "Index" in Data-Table so you will got a lot of Overhead.
as Xbase++ is still using 1 x Core "only" PgDBE does not perform well ... :roll:

---

when use OOP Syntax it is "easy" to change to a "other" Back-end.

in old Cl*pper Days i have used xBase Command like SKIP n
when switch to OOP i also build my Server CLASS and access it with OOP Syntax o:Skip(n)

for xBase Command you need a RDD / DBE using ISAM Style
for OOP i need re-write Code to use a "Db-CLASS" which can use "other" Back-end

---

i have look into WDO Project for Mod_harbour and got RDBMS_PG.PRG compile now without Error.
now i can learn how to modify my "native" Xbase++ Code to use ADODB.Recordset.
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby ferilmagic » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Apparently this is a database engine developed by Alaska Software to emulate ISAM style functionality for xBase++. It looks like people are considering using PgDBE instead of ADS (Advantage Database Server), but they are having performance issues. You mentioned that PgDBE creates an internal field for each xBase index in the data table, which causes overhead. By the way it's interesting that government sites experience similar problems, but I haven't seen this on https://drunkid.com/buy/hawaii-fake-id/ for issuing driver's licenses, it's the developers' choice to allow SQL-like operations on ISAM data. You noted that PgDBE does not run well on a single core, which may be a limitation of its design or the underlying system architecture. You noted that using object-oriented programming (OOP) syntax may make it easier to migrate to a different backend or database engine.
Last edited by ferilmagic on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferilmagic

Postby mgsoft » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:27 am

Use Sqlrdd. Source is now available
Saludos,

Eduardo
mgsoft

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour