Crossover 21.1

Crossover 21.1

Postby TimStone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:36 pm

I know we can run a 64 bit Windows Exe files on an Intel based Mac with Parallels

Has anyone tried to run a complete app on the M1 processor with Parallels/Windows 11 ARM OS ?

Does anyone have experience running apps built with Harbour and FiveWin on a MacOS using Crossover 21.1 ?

At one point I looked at building my apps with Five Win for Mac, but ran into issues with no ADS support, and other functions that were not available to the Mac OS.

Your experience and input with these questions is appreciated.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Re: Crossover 21.1

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Dear Tim,

Thanks to my nephew Lorenzo Linares who is doing the tests :-)

FWH\samples\FivEdit.exe running on Mac M1 using CrossOver:
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:14 pm

Dear Tim,

Thanks to my nephew Lorenzo Linares who is doing the tests :-)

FWH\samples\FivEdit.exe running on Mac M1 using Parallels: It seems to work better than with CrossOver
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:30 pm

I would love to hear more on this.

For years I used Parallels with the Intel chip and it ran pretty well. The M1 changed everything. The program started crashing my Intel computer with their updates, and support was beyond horrible. They would not respond to multiple requests for simple questions, and the weeks flew by. I had regular crashes and their requirement was to "let it fix itself" which often took 48 hours or more before I could reuse the computer. They were VERY difficult to work with, and even today support doesn't provide much info on how well the product is working. I do still have a license for the latest version.

I am receiving an M1 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM / 512 GB SSD. Parallels really needs 16 GB of RAM, plus it requires the ARM version of Windows.

The appeal of Crossover is that it would work fine with the 8GB, does not require a virtual machine, and would use far fewer resources. It seems like an explorable option.
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:54 am

Dear Tim,

I recently bought a Microsoft Surface Intel I5 for 413 euros (Amazon special disccount) and I am in love with it.

Why do you need an Apple computer ? :-)

Why do you need to mess with all that if you are a Windows developer ?

Thats what I thought myself and then I decided to go for Microsoft Surface and I am so happy with my desition
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:32 am

Antonio,

I have an Apple Desktop and Notebook Combo. The Desktop is a 27" iMac, and the notebook is the new(er) MacBook Air M1 ( on sale at Costco for the holiday - about $450 less than the new M2 ).

I have a Windows Desktop and Notebook Combo. The Desktop is a Dell 27" AIO, and the other is the 13" Surface Notebook 4.

I have the Apple computers because I have customers ask about using an Apple computer. I think I should know both systems well. I wanted the new Air because it has an ARM processor, and I think we will see far more of those in the future because of their low energy use.

I work mostly on my iMac, but I use Remote Desktop to connect with my Dell AIO for programming. Switching between the two is a single mouse click. It is very easy.

The notebooks are for travel, and as a backup to the desktops. They are all well connected so I can easily move files around. Both notebooks have 512 GB of SSD and get about 20 hours on a battery charge.

I tried both Crossover and Parallels on the M1. Crossover can't really be used to build programs, and there are a lot of things one would need to install to allow a program to work. Parallels did not like the idea I was trying to install Visual Studio. I can work around that. The new version of Visual Studio should be supported on ARM now according to their website.

When I'm going remote for many days, I take the Surface so I can help clients. For short trips I take an iPad with Remote Access software so I can sign on to their computer and help fix their problem.

Finally, when I upgrade a computer, I refurbish the old one and pass it to one of my grandkids. They are learning to write programs, and do their school projects on them.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 am

Dear Tim,

very good :-)

I also use iMac 27 for years to work, though I always buy them second hand, as Apple prices seem not reasonable to me.
Thats why I don't use iPhone too and stick with Android on Samsung. I don't like Apple pushing young people to buy such expensive phones...

I think we are not yet aware of all the povery and needs that there are in the third world. We live in our bubles, ignoring our brothers... I love to manage all operating systems, I have done it for years, but I don't enjoy the Apple "only for rich people" attitude
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:17 pm

Antonio,

I do understand. My MB Pro was over 5 years old. The battery life was never good. It was in good condition and worked well. I sold it online. Then Costco put a new MB Air on sale, and the price was 1/3 less than the new M2 model. With my "trade in" plus the sale price, my total cost was less than 1/2 of what a new one would cost if I ordered it from Apple tomorrow. The upgrades ( camera, processor, magnetic power adapter ) were just not worth that much more.

Our families use iPhone. The parents take advantage of the "free phone upgrades" offers and give the old phones to the kids. So they actually shop the deals and pay very little. My phone is a business expense. I get very good results from my Apple purchases, and the equipment lasts a very long time. We have much older Apple computers that we passed to our grandkids and they are still working fine, though perhaps on an older OS. The products are expensive but work very well.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:36 pm

Dear Tim,

Yes, I agree with you and I fully respect everybody attitude about this. Most families do the same :-)

I find quite surprising that most young people, when they are asked about what phone they want, they answer "an iphone, of course" and they don't care about the price. Its a kind of status: if you don't have an iphone you don't have "the phone".

Apple marketing is very powerful and dangerous about this... and if you compare current iphones with older ones, or first ones, they were terrible, but everybody had the sense that they were marvellous. A similar thing is happening with Tesla: the quality control of Tesla is not very good (many videos on youtube clearly explaining it) but it is becoming a "status" car. This is dangerous, specially for younger people. Money is time of your life, and time of your life is part of your freedom. If you have to stay working as a crazy all day long to pay all those so expensive gadgets, you don't have time to be with your kids, with your family, with your friends, etc. Thats the dark side of ambition.

I may becoming older... :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour