Installing on Paralles for Mac

Installing on Paralles for Mac

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:10 am

Here is another first time event for me.

I have a new MacBook Air, using Parallels 18, and Windows 11. I installed my application on it with no problem, and all ran fine from the start.

Then I took a machine with an Intel i7 processor, installed Parallels, and Windows 11. I installed a couple of other programs, and no problems.

Then I went and installed my application ( built with FWH.22.06, Harbour, Visual Studio 2022 - 64 bit ) and when I went to run it, I got an error for a missing VCRUNTIME140.dll, and the 32 bit version showed a missing MSVCR120.dll.

I can resolve the problem by installing Microsoft VC_redist.x64.exe and VC_redist.x32.exe, but I've never had to do this before. It probably was not an issue on my test machines because those files were installed previously with various versions of Visual Studio which does not exist on the last virtual machine.

My question is this: Does FWH 22.06 now require these files to be installed for some feature that was added ( or perhaps was present previously and I didn't know about it ) ? Or has anyone else encountered this problem ?

Yes, I can build the distribution of these into my installer, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something else here.

Thanks.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Re: Installing on Paralles for Mac

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:43 am

Dear Tim,

> I can resolve the problem by installing Microsoft VC_redist.x64.exe and VC_redist.x32.exe

This is quite usual. It is a MSVC requirement and not a FWH one.

It is safe and it will work fine. Usually you don't need this on your own machine, as MSVC installed it.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:47 am

To all,
Just out of interest:

What advantage do you have if I take a MAC?

I have given the instruction in my company that when customers come and have questions about "Apple", we always answer that we only do WINDOWS.

This has purely economic reasons as our time is limited, not get bogged down.

Are we missing something?

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:51 am

Dear Otto,

good morning

Your Windows software can run on an Apple computer without problems using Parallels

So next time a customer asks you about Apple you may answer, yes, no problem at all :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:11 am

Dear Antonio,
thank you.

I'm not going to change our maxim - you know we're only a small company with few resources.

There are so many tasks otherwise. I think that if someone, like you, who works in research and development, it is necessary to deal with many things.

For example, today the certificate of my www.winhotel.space mod harbour server expires.

I'm not even sure if there is enough time this morning to do the renewal. It all looks simple, it is simple, but in detail it always takes a long time to do something.

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:15 am

Dear Otto,

I fully understand what you mean :-)

a big hug
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:24 pm

To All

We have stopped buying Mac's for every Mac we can buy 2 Windows laptops .. just economics ..

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby cnavarro » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:39 pm

Rick Lipkin wrote:To All

We have stopped buying Mac's for every Mac we can buy 2 Windows laptops .. just economics ..

Rick Lipkin

That's how it is. Totally agree
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:17 pm

Rick Lipkin wrote:To All

Rick Lipkin

Dear Rick,

I recently bought a MS Surface and I am very happy with it, but I wonder if the Windows laptops will be as fast as Apple M1X,
unless so much speed is not needed
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:37 pm

We went off topic here ( per my original question ), but that is OK. I will share a few responses to the various questions and comments:

1) I am also a very small business, and my clients are small business owners. My development work for those clients is all Windows. But I keep thinking it would be nice to enjoy some side income by making a few Apple apps and selling them in their market place. Thus, I originally invested in some Apple products.

2). Over the years, my clients who personally used Apple computers wanted access to their business data. The easiest way is to run the application they use in Windows at work. Often they want to use their personal Mac computer at their business. Rather than write a whole different application, they can run the exact same product on their Mac using Parallels.

3). Parallels creates a virtual machine and in it, you install a copy of Windows. Then you install the Windows application I developed.

4). Parallels has a coherence mode. With this, you open the app, and it's icon appears in the Apple dock. Then you tell it to keep the icon in the dock. Now switch to Coherence mode. You no longer see the Windows screen. Instead, when you click the icon on the doc, your application opens up alongside any Mac applications you are running. Thus, windows is invisible, but allowing the program to fully run.

5). Many of my clients live in an Apple environment: Phone, tablet, computers, and all the applications that fit. They simply don't want to change. So I have opened the doorway to them. Many would suggest a web based app would be the solution, but that assumes an always connected interenet capability, etc. So far, my clients have NO INTEREST in that alternative. I asked, they answered, and they want their businesses contained to their local site, and will interact with the net only when necessary. They have a right to that choice, and my job is to support them.

6). I also have a Surface Notebook ( and an older Surface Pro ). It is a very fast machine, and I will take it with me when I travel.

7). Portable computers are moving toward an ARM technology. I recently purcahsed an M1 MacBook Air. Since it was after the announcement for the M2 version, it was reduced in price. Using Parallels, designed for the M1 chip ( ARM ), my application runs very fast and has absolutely no problems. Since the M1/M2 chips are in all of the upcoming Apple products ( which sell incredibly well ), it was important to test out this option should any of my clients decide to go this way. With a 19 hour battery life, that computer is very popular to many consumers.

8). When a client is seeking to buy a new computer for their business, I of course do recommend windows. I often can help them find a really good deal on a reliable computer, and of course it is often less than Apple computers. With that said, the price difference is no longer the 2 for 1 ratio suggested. When considering both computers, with 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, the MacBook Air sells for $1,375, and the Surface Notebook 4 is $1,500. The computers have very similar size and profile, long battery life, and great quality.

I'm not pushing Apple products. I'm just saying that our reality is they are popular with many people, and as a solution provider, I have found my best option is to honor their choices. Maybe that is why I'm now celebrating my 40th year as a company, and many clients have been with me the majority of that time.
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:27 pm

Here is an enduser viewpoint from my own situation:

Everyone I know uses Apple products, including phones, ipads and computers. We are all interconnected, and using apps like Messages ( iMessage ), etc. are universal in our group. All our photos to share are from our Apple devices. That is the environment on which we function.

For programming, I actually use Remote Desktop to connect to my Windows computer. However, I have installed Parallels on my Mac, and I'm running Ultra Edit ( to check code ), and Help and Manual to work on documentation. I can sit here, in one space and without switching, updating my documentation, taking screen shots from the most recent version of my app to include in the topics, and still instantly see ( and reply to ) messages, emails, and notifications.

In essence, using my aging iMac, with Parallels running Windows 11, I have one seamless desktop experience. Some of my clients who have followed a similar path do so because of the ease it involves.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:55 pm

Hello,
I am curious about when TESLA enters the PC and smartphone market?

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 pm

I don't see that happening.

Tesla entered the solar power market when there were no real mass produed system. When it got very competitive, they seem to have reduced their presence in that market place.

They entered the electric vehicle market when there were no real mass produced EV competitors. They had a unique product, which now has quality control problems and unmet promises. Within two years, I expect to see the competitors making a huge dent in the EV marketplace.

The PC marketplace, and cell phones, are a well established, and highly competitive marketplace. To me, that is not the type of investment they would likely make because they would have to provide something totally unique, and compete against a well established set of brands.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:49 pm

Antonio

Mac does make very nice ( but expensive ) MacBook's, MacBook pro .. I have no problems with their quality .. My last years as the IT Administrator for the State Newspaper I had to deal with a mix of both laptops ( and the surface notebooks ) We had to use 2 MDM's to manage the machines .. which is kinda a pain the bum .. but at the end of the day Macs, pc's and surface tablets worked well together.

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:19 pm

Rick,

After many years of building my own computers, and buying pre-built, or custom built, name brands, my number 1 concern has been the level of support available when hardware has an issue.

Looking at all of the major brands, and local shop built systems, and considering the needs of my clients for reliable devices, and fast service turn around, I have had major concerns about most of the offerings. The majority of companies strongly resist providing quality support, in a timely manner, and the frustrations of my clients reinforce that finding all of the time.

I have found two exceptions. If I have a problem with my Apple products, I can get online support right away. The same goes for Surface products. The other reality is the quality of construction has made me realize actual problems are very unlikely to occur.

My clients do not have inhouse IT people. In fact, most have difficulty finding reliable IT people to support their small, independent, businesses. That is why they need a really solid manufacturer for the equipment.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Next

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour