CLASS modification

Re: CLASS modification

Postby Otto » Wed May 24, 2023 10:30 am

Hello Silvio,

"I'm not the youngest of your group. I've been using fivewin since version 14.4 (1992). Maybe you are the youngest; in fact, I don't remember seeing you in the famous Outlook newsgroups!"
This was not Outlook but Compuserve!

"My users will never access the web with my applications, and I have already explained to you several times why."
How do they access windows from their smartphones?

"I see no need to create web applications when Windows applications, especially basic procedures, are not correct."
I mean, you can use webview2 from Fivewin. It's great!

"You, who make web applications, can you do everything in the Windows system? I don't think so... There are still many things that don't work properly or that you don't care about."
I can do it all and more. Ask me something you think can't be done.

"And I'm not young; I'm 57 years old. In 5 years, I'll be retiring as a teacher, and I don't think I'll be making applications in Windows anymore. Instead, I'll take care of gardening and my grandchildren until the last day of my old age."

I don't believe that. You are such a passionate, creative, and innovative programmer that I am convinced you'll never stop.

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Wed May 24, 2023 10:50 pm

Otto wrote:Hello Silvio,

"I'm not the youngest of your group. I've been using fivewin since version 14.4 (1992). Maybe you are the youngest; in fact, I don't remember seeing you in the famous Outlook newsgroups!"
This was not Outlook but Compuserve!

"My users will never access the web with my applications, and I have already explained to you several times why."
How do they access windows from their smartphones?

"I see no need to create web applications when Windows applications, especially basic procedures, are not correct."
I mean, you can use webview2 from Fivewin. It's great!

"You, who make web applications, can you do everything in the Windows system? I don't think so... There are still many things that don't work properly or that you don't care about."
I can do it all and more. Ask me something you think can't be done.

"And I'm not young; I'm 57 years old. In 5 years, I'll be retiring as a teacher, and I don't think I'll be making applications in Windows anymore. Instead, I'll take care of gardening and my grandchildren until the last day of my old age."

I don't believe that. You are such a passionate, creative, and innovative programmer that I am convinced you'll never stop.

Best regards,
Otto

>This was not Outlook but Compuserve!
Sorry I used Outlook express to show fivetech newsgroup and not Had Compuserve!!!!

>How do they access windows from their smartphones?
why should they make no sense what you say

>I mean, you can use webview2 from Fivewin. It's great!
I don't doubt it, but think about it, can you do everything on windows? Are you sure there is something you wanted and you couldn't do because no one helped you and you were left with the remorse that if you had had those particular procedures now you would have had many more clients than you do today?

>I can do it all and more. Ask me something you think can't be done.

1) tcalendar Problem
2) dasboard system ( see the forum my messages)
3) xbrowse <-> tree same xbrowse ( width search system all data )
4) insert in the search of the xbrowse that created Nageswarao (@ 10, 550 COMBOBOX oBrw:oSortCbx VAR oBrw:cSortOrder)
the possibility of inserting the options "entries that begin with" and "entries that contain"
and therefore have both possibilities, i.e. for example the search for a city and at the same time the entries starting with ...
5) insert in the same xbrowse the possibility of grouping the records, for example in a product archive grouping by category in the xbrowse or for date of add

these are just the last few things i cant do and i am trying to do in windows

>I don't believe that. You are such a passionate, creative, and innovative programmer that I am convinced you'll never stop.

maybe once, lately I'm tired, after my mother's death I lost faith in myself and in others, but how is it possible that I have to waste time with an old software from my school in which I had modified some things, I went to recompile and now the tcalendar doesn't work as before I haven't touched anything in the tcalendar . and it's not the first time that when I recompile I have problems because there's always something wrong
Since from 1991/1992 ( fw for clipper Rel. 14.4 - Momos)
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Otto » Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 am

Silvio, Compuserv was there long before Outlook.
Regards,
Otto

Compuserve existed before Outlook. Compuserve, founded in 1969, was one of the earliest commercial online services that provided email, forums, and other communication features. It was a popular platform for accessing online communities and exchanging messages. Microsoft Outlook, on the other hand, is an email client that was introduced in 1997 as part of the Microsoft Office suite.
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 am

for tcalendar now I resolved with datepick styles but not refresh the button

I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby TimStone » Thu May 25, 2023 11:30 pm

Silvio,

I will turn 77 soon. I love being outdoors, working in my garden, spending time with my 15 grandchildren, attending theater productions, going to Disneyland regularly, and so much more. I also travel.

With age comes wisdom, and that is why I still program and support clients. I have a great balance of time, but everyone I know who does not rigorously exercise their mind as they age, declines in health, and loses happiness. It is very important to continue to challenge your brain, and the logical thought involved in programming is an outstanding way to accomplish this task.

Retirement sounds great until boredom sets in. Too many of my peers are rapidly declining, or passing away, because they didn't stay active physically and mentally.

That is why so many people who retired have gone back to work, even if part time. Idle time is just not healthy.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby TimStone » Thu May 25, 2023 11:51 pm

Otto,

Over a year ago you "strongly encouraged" me to re-build my program for the internet. A year later, and you have 3 people working on this, you have made some nice advances. That is great for YOU ... but for some of us, it's not the focus for our business or clients. Here are a few observations:

[list=]
My clients hire me, and the service I provide. They are not interested in the internet
Most of my clients do not have internet connections strong enough to handle their workload.
My clients who do use internet services complain they never work right, constantly break down, and they can't ever reach support people
I have yet to see an internet program that provides anywhere near the complexity of what my package currently offers
With all the hacking issues, and data theft, my clients don't want to expose their business to net servers
For the small business, like myself, having to provide support to an internet server takes way too much time.
So many companies providing hosted servers last for a short time, and when they shut down, we would have to relocate everything to another server. Not worth it.
[/list]

This is just some of the reasons I have for not converting to a web based platform. I have not lost a single client because of this. Perhaps that is because my clients value the personalized service, and very fast timing, I provide. Also, my clients all run their businesses, and none of them will do it from their phone, ever. Convenient services like text messaging, text to pay, etc. can all be provided from their local computers and clients can respond from their devices. But no one is going to write up a complex, multi-page work order, with perhaps 20 or 30 parts, from their phone. If they want to work on a computer remotely, via the internet, no problem. They do that regularly with what we have setup.

You have every right to be proud of what you are doing, but to be very honest, for many, the web based platforms are not the great option.

I will give one classic example: EMAIL
Many providers now want us to use a web based mail program. For me, that is totally inefficient . I use outlook to monitor 6 different email accounts, all in one place. Emails come in, I see a quick notification, and I can respond right away, or when it is convenient. I keep everything in folders on my computer, and since they are all exchange accounts, they are live on all of my devices. The alternative ? I would have to open 6 different browser tabs, one for each webmail page, and keep them open, along with any other web based programs, throughout the day. I would then have to look at each one separately to view the traffic. HOW INEFFICIENT !!! Outlook puts all of those inboxes into one on my email client, which is fast, informative, and effective.

I've gone on long enough. Not everything belongs on the web. One of my clients summed it up perfectly. He had the opportunity to compare a web based management program to my system. In his words, it was far more expensive, yet couldn't begin to do the things that my software provides. And it was supposed to be the best alternative out there for our industry. He, and others who are solicited all the time, have no interest in making any changes ...
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Jimmy » Fri May 26, 2023 3:56 am

Silvio.Falconi wrote:for tcalendar now I resolved with datepick styles but not refresh the button

when you "close" Datepicker than Notify Event DTN_CLOSEUP is send
Code: Select all  Expand view
METHOD Notify(...)
      case nCode == DTN_CLOSEUP
           ::lClosed = .T.

Datepicker have VALID where can can place a ACTION into ::bValid Codeblock
  if bValid != nil
      ::bValid    = { || If( ::lClosed, Eval( bValid, Self ), .F. ) }
   endif
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Otto » Fri May 26, 2023 5:39 am

Hello Tim,
While web-based solutions have become popular and offer certain advantages, there are valid reasons why some businesses may choose to stick with traditional software or systems.

You mentioned several points:

Client Focus, Internet Connection, Complexity of Software, Security and Data Protection, Support and Reliability

While these reasons are understandable, it's worth mentioning that web-based platforms continue to evolve and address many of these concerns. For example, advancements in internet infrastructure, enhanced security measures, and reliable customer support are some areas where improvements have been made.

It's worth keeping an open mind - please see your post to Silvio, which I support 100%.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. If you and your clients are satisfied with the current setup, and it continues to serve you well, it's perfectly valid to maintain the status quo.

However, keep in mind that the transition of one's own software to a web application is not a task that can be completed in a few days - like flipping a switch.

Just as fossil fuel-powered vehicles are gradually being replaced by electric cars, traditional desktop applications are also being phased out in favor of web-based solutions. The advancements in technology and the need for more sustainable and efficient options are driving this transition in both industries.

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Fri May 26, 2023 6:53 am

Jimmy wrote:
Silvio.Falconi wrote:for tcalendar now I resolved with datepick styles but not refresh the button

when you "close" Datepicker than Notify Event DTN_CLOSEUP is send
METHOD Notify(...)
      case nCode == DTN_CLOSEUP
           ::lClosed = .T.

Datepicker have VALID where can can place a ACTION into ::bValid Codeblock
  if bValid != nil
      ::bValid    = { || If( ::lClosed, Eval( bValid, Self ), .F. ) }
   endif

How ?

@ nRow, 70 DTPICKER  aGet[1] VAR ddatacambio OF oDlgSub SIZE 198, 25 PIXEL ;
      FONT oFont UPDATE PICTURE "ddd dd mmm yyyy"  ;
      ON CHANGE  oBtnGetExchange:refresh() STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

@ nRow, 70 GET aGet[2] VAR nCambio SIZE 200,24 PIXEL OF oDlgSub RIGHT

@ nRow-0.2,  320 BTNBMP oBtnGetExchange ;
              PROMPT "Aggiorna on line"  OF oDlgSub;
              SIZE 120, 24 PIXEL FLAT GDIPLUS ;
              BITMAP "BTN_INTERNET"    LEFT NOROUND ;
              ACTION ...

Silvio.Falconi

Postby Jimmy » Fri May 26, 2023 2:15 pm

Silvio.Falconi wrote:How ?

@ nRow, 70 DTPICKER  aGet[1] VAR ddatacambio OF oDlgSub SIZE 198, 25 PIXEL ;
      FONT oFont UPDATE PICTURE "ddd dd mmm yyyy"  ;
      ON CHANGE  oBtnGetExchange:refresh() STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

@ nRow, 70 GET aGet[2] VAR nCambio SIZE 200,24 PIXEL OF oDlgSub RIGHT

@ nRow-0.2,  320 BTNBMP oBtnGetExchange ;
              PROMPT "Aggiorna on line"  OF oDlgSub;
              SIZE 120, 24 PIXEL FLAT GDIPLUS ;
              BITMAP "BTN_INTERNET"    LEFT NOROUND ;
              ACTION ...

use VALID instead of ON CHANGE
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Sun May 28, 2023 1:59 pm

Args:
[ 1] = U

Stack Calls
===========
Called from: .\source\classes\CONTROL.PRG => TDATEPICK:LVALID( 983 )
Called from: .\source\classes\CONTROL.PRG => TDATEPICK:FWLOSTFOCUS( 1233 )
Called from: .\source\classes\CONTROL.PRG => TDATEPICK:HANDLEEVENT( 1830 )
Called from: .\source\classes\WINDOW.PRG => _FWH( 3560 )

@ nRow, 70 DTPICKER aGet[1] VAR ddatacambio OF oDlgSub SIZE 198, 25 PIXEL ;
FONT oFont UPDATE PICTURE "ddd dd mmm yyyy" ;
VALID oBtnGetExchange:refresh() STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Jimmy » Mon May 29, 2023 3:33 am

hi Silvio,

you must RETURN a Logic Value for VALID

try this
VALID (oBtnGetExchange:refresh(), .T.) STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

or this Way
VALID ( DoSwitch( oBtnGetExchange  ) ) STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

STATIC FUNCTION DoSwitch( oBtnGetExchange  )
   oBtnGetExchange:Refresh()
RETURN .T.
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Mon May 29, 2023 7:46 am

Jimmy wrote:hi Silvio,

you must RETURN a Logic Value for VALID

try this
VALID (oBtnGetExchange:refresh(), .T.) STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

or this Way
VALID ( DoSwitch( oBtnGetExchange  ) ) STYLE DTS_SHOWNONE

STATIC FUNCTION DoSwitch( oBtnGetExchange  )
   oBtnGetExchange:Refresh()
RETURN .T.

nothing happens, it doesn't make an error, and it doesn't refresh the btnbmp control anyway.
if I press the checkbox of the datepick control or select a different date nothing happens it does not refresh the bnbmp control
the btnbmp control is only refreshed if the user hovers over the get
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Jimmy » Mon May 29, 2023 5:37 pm

hi Silvio,

i know that CODE work, but what do you want to do when "refresh" BTNBMP :?:

i also saw
@ nRow, 70 DTPICKER
@ nRow, 70 GET

so both are on same Place ... what do you want to do :?:
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Tue May 30, 2023 7:30 am

I press on datepick must refresh the btnbmp

If the user clicks on the datepick control it does not refresh the btnbmp control, however now the user has to move the mouse over the get control to refresh the btnbmp control.
It is the management of the EUR/USD currency exchange the btnbmp control accesses an online service and extracts the monetary quotation, to do this it needs to have a date and a type of currency that's why I needed the empty date.
Silvio.Falconi

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour