Parameter for Timeout

Re: Parameter for Timeout

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:26 am

Hello,

What problem arises when someone leaves the program open that we have to respond to?

However, a timeout won't help here if the user is no longer in front of the computer. You'll always have to close the program automatically, but you won't know whether the data needs to be saved or not.

I think we need to design the programs like on the web, where it doesn't matter if it remains open (stateless).

But it does require extra effort and a change in thinking. I believe that in the future you won't be able to simply use a record lock or even a file lock.

It would be beneficial, especially considering mod harbour, to have a standardized function: buffer and then check before saving if the buffered data is still current.

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Marc Venken » Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:43 am

What problem arises when someone leaves the program open that we have to respond to?

Probably none, but it is just a good habbit of closing a program.

I will surely use this code to force the program to close. (give them enough time offcource) Non saved data is the responsability of the user. They need to save and close.
Marc Venken
Using: FWH 23.04 with Harbour
Marc Venken

Postby RAMESHBABU » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:36 am

Probably none, but it is just a good habbit of closing a program.

I will surely use this code to force the program to close. (give them enough time offcource) Non saved data is the responsability of the user. They need to save and close.

+1

Ramesh Babu
RAMESHBABU

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour