The Future of Developer Forums

The Future of Developer Forums

Postby Otto » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:06 pm

The Future of Developer Forums: The Power of Community and Technology Combined

In the world of software development, forums have long served as an indispensable source of knowledge and support. However, in an era where Artificial Intelligence (AI) can provide quick and precise answers to technical questions, some wonder if forums are still relevant. In this blog post, we will discuss why developer forums remain invaluable and how they can adapt to the changing technological landscape.

The Social Bond
One of the most significant strengths of developer forums lies in the social bond they promote. Here, not only connections are made, but genuine friendships are formed among individuals who share the same passion for coding. This social cohesion is priceless and should not be overlooked.

The Importance of Community
Developer forums are not just places where technical knowledge is exchanged. They are also communities where ideas are discussed, experiences are shared, and careers are built. It's crucial to actively participate and value the contributions of other members.

Experts and Mentors
The role of experts and mentors in forums remains critical. These seasoned developers can not only answer technical questions but also provide invaluable advice and guidance. Their presence enhances the quality of the forums and contributes to the growth of its members.
Quality and Trust
The quality of discussions in a forum is a defining feature. If forums provide high-quality posts and reliable information, they become a trusted source for developers. It's essential that members are open to discussions and appreciate the hard work and contributions of others. This trust is invaluable and cannot be easily replaced by technology.

The future of developer forums lies in balancing knowledge and social interaction. Technology can enhance efficiency, but community and social cohesion should continue to be encouraged. We urge all developers to actively engage in discussions, be open to diverse opinions, and value the contributions of their peers. Developer forums are more than just knowledge databases; they are vibrant communities that empower and propel the developer community forward.

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Re: The Future of Developer Forums

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:56 am

In the spirit of the forum, I discuss one of your statement. :-)

Otto wrote:However, in an era where Artificial Intelligence (AI) can provide quick and precise answers to technical questions,

I'm started to use AI lately (specifically Bing Chat) and found anything but "quick and precise answers" (I even argued with the AI). Currently AIs (or at least Bing Chat) is only a way to present the information so that it resemble natural language. Basically, is only a change of interface. I can't see any additional reasoning behind that. So I think that the term "AI" is currently only a new advertising slogan.
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Otto » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:22 am

Enrico, you must use the paid version (Plus) of ChatGPT.
Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:37 am

as far as I know, Windows Copilot (based on bing) uses chatgpt 4 and Dall-e and both for free :-)

Lately I have found Windows Copilot writting exceptional good code that I have been able to copy and use on first try
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:07 am

Dear Antonio,

"Why did I make this post?

When we started with mod harbour, we faced the issue that we couldn't help each other much here, and we couldn't further the spread of mod harbour.

Back then, I contacted the forum owner of codeforum.com, which seemed to me like a good forum for HTML and JavaScript, hoping we could get a section there to support one another. HTML/JavaScript developers who need something good at the backend and, conversely, we from the Clipper side for the frontend.

Unfortunately, back then, there was no interest from either our side or from the codeforum side.

A few days ago, I revisited this forum.
But from today's perspective, this forum is no longer of interest. You don't recognize anyone, and you can't engage in conversations.

For general questions, an AI can answer just as well and faster.

I see it as disruptive for forums - I see the "Phone Book Effect". Who uses phone books anymore?"

We urge all developers to actively engage in discussions, be open to diverse opinions, and value the contributions of their peers.

I am not aware of such a collegial, friendly, and good forum as ours in the entire internet.

In the future, if the forum is to survive, we must adapt to the new situation and engage more in creative discussions.

Certainly, we have a problem here, especially with Harbour, where some only see the time until retirement.

I can't remember if I've posted this picture before.

But it speaks for itself: Google translator canceled from my list, deepl canceled. Actually, an unthinkable thought 2-3 months ago.
Now all done by ChatGPT.

In the end, what remains is the interpersonal and the friendship - I actually just wanted to say that.

With warm regards,
Otto

modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 am

Dear Otto,

> what remains is the interpersonal and the friendship

Totally agreed :-)
regards, saludos