Backups into blu rays

Backups into blu rays

Postby elvira » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:21 am

Friends,

Does anyone use it and can you please share your experience?

I am looking for a high capacity read-only media that is immune to the plague of ransomwares.

Thank you very much and happy holidays!
elvira

Re: Backups into blu rays

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:35 pm

elvira wrote:Friends,

I am looking for a high capacity read-only media that is immune to the plague of ransomwares.

Thank you very much and happy holidays!

Many years ago Stephan Haupt made a cd copier but Me Haupt Is diede, another made a classe tò use CD nero but i never used It
Since from 1991/1992 ( fw for clipper Rel. 14.4 - Momos)
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby elvira » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:58 pm

Thank you very much Silvio, I don't need to burn discs from Fivewin, but explore the possibility of making my own backups on a blu ray. Happy new year!!!
elvira

Postby Otto » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 pm

Elvira,
have you seen my post?

One effective system for protecting data against ransomware is using an Offline Backup system.
Here's how it works:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37383&start=0&hilit=backup

Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby elvira » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:23 pm

Yes, thank you but i do not trust usb pendrives for backup i,m afraid
elvira

Postby Otto » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:39 pm

Elvira,
I think one always needs multiple options to rely on. Trust also strongly depends on experiences. At the beginning, I invested a lot of money in a tape drive, and during the first backup, it chewed up the tape. With CDs, I've personally seen one shatter into a thousand pieces. Overall, I think one always needs a functioning system where data can be immediately read back. Technology changes so fast. I use Synology systems as an additional backup, but my main backups are those where I can access the files without additional software.

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby karinha » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:47 pm

Elvira, what I do: Always 2 HARD DISKs of 500 megabytes or higher. 1 Pendrive(USB) Exclusive for backup copies of my systems. And of course, I store (backup) everything important in my file cloud:

Elvira, lo que hago: Siempre 2 DISCOS DUROS de 500 megas o más. 1 Pendrive(USB) Exclusivo para copias de seguridad de mis sistemas. Y, por supuesto, almaceno (copia de seguridad) todo lo importante en mi nube de archivos:

Create an account at:

Crea una cuenta en:

https://mega.nz/

Reagrds, saludos.
João Santos - São Paulo - Brasil - Phone: +55(11)95150-7341
karinha

Postby Otto » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:54 pm

João, may I ask if you have personally seen a PC or server infected with ransomware?
Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:41 pm

Otto wrote:João, may I ask if you have personally seen a PC or server infected with ransomware?
Best regards,
Otto

this is the typical example when one asks one thing and everyone wants to impose another thing on you, ignoring what the author of the topic asked!!!!

Please the topic Is "backup on bluray"
I use : FiveWin for Harbour November 2023 - January 2024 - Harbour 3.2.0dev (harbour_bcc770_32_20240309) - Bcc7.70 - xMate ver. 1.15.3 - PellesC - mail: silvio[dot]falconi[at]gmail[dot]com
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Otto » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:31 pm

Silvio,

"Always 2 HARD DISKs of 500 megabytes or higher. 1 Pendrive (USB) exclusive for backup copies of my systems."

that has nothing to do with a secure backup.
For example, there are always times when the data is in one place.
If there is a ransomware attack, it encrypts both disks and the backup.

Do you know how ransomware software works?

Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 pm

Otto wrote:Silvio,

"Always 2 HARD DISKs of 500 megabytes or higher. 1 Pendrive (USB) exclusive for backup copies of my systems."

that has nothing to do with a secure backup.
For example, there are always times when the data is in one place.
If there is a ransomware attack, it encrypts both disks and the backup.

Do you know how ransomware software works?

Best regards,
Otto

Please respect the topic!!!
Silvio.Falconi

Postby Otto » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:42 pm

Silvio,

This is the question:

modharbour.org
Otto

Postby elvira » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:31 am

Thank you very much. Indeed, we already use backups on internal and external hard disk. It is a question of analyzing the complementary Blu ray option. The tapes are very expensive, given the price of the recorder.
elvira

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:52 am

hi,

Lifetime of Optical Disk depend Disk Material so don´t buy No-Name Disk
also "write once" Disk life longer than "read/write" Disk

but you need a Hardware "Burner/Player" which modern PC don´t have any more
since we got USB-Stick i use them for "quick" Backup

there are also USB-Stick which have a Switch to enable/disable "Write"

https://www.amazon.de/Netac-64GB-Flash-Drive-Geh%C3%A4use-wei%C3%9F/dp/B0872V8P1Q/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=MME614CITXOO
greeting,
Jimmy
Jimmy

Postby Silvio.Falconi » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:12 am

Otto wrote:Silvio,

This is the question:

MR Otto,

I don't want to waste time with you Mr Otto, tell me which object class you made yourself. the pickdate() class is irrelevant also because Linares made it for you, like pieces of your hotel program, as well as Nageswarao who has helped you many times to make your hotel program and don't tell me it's not true because I myself was present in the hotel when in the evening, away from your conference commitments, You went away to fix the pieces of software that weren't working.

You stuck your bootstraps with the easyreport software, you managed to convince Antonio Linares to buy a software that makes holes everywhere and doesn't work.

Now you are stuck with the html language involving the whole forum so much so that often we other users are forced to ask for help via email directly to Linares or directly to nages because in every topic we put on the forum you arrive with strange ideas of doing what not thing with the html language as if you've invented who knows what devilry but in essence it's always boiled hot water.

I do not share my professional and work experiences with those who have never shown me that they are capable of giving a technical speech, I am well aware of ransomware which is a malicious computer program that can infect a digital device (PC, tablet, smartphone, smart TV), blocking access to all or some of its contents (photos, videos, files, etc.) and then asking for a ransom (in English, “ransom”) to be paid to “free” them.

but the argument of Elvira was another, Elvira asked for a function or class to back up Blu-ray discs which I have to think you've never had, I have that type of 50GB CD memory and they cost a lot but it's a memory that doesn't use no one anymore because it's expensive, but apart from this you persistently continue with other topics that go beyond the topic's argument,

It's your national sport, but when I was doing the hotel program no one, not even me on the forum, hindered you when you asked for parts of programs or functions, now you do it often and I still can't understand your indomitable nature, because let's face it,

this story of the HTML language will also pass and then I'm curious to know what the next topic you will cling to is.
Silvio.Falconi

Next

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour