ADO sqloledb conection problem

ADO sqloledb conection problem

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:34 pm

To All

I have a wierd situation where I have a very successful ADO xHarbour\FWH application ( executable ) which resides on a Win2003 server.

When the users run the executable from the server ( shortcut on their pc ) the application connects to the off site SQL server and runs flawlessly.

However .. if you are at the server console ( physically at the server ) ..
and you run the same application ( on the server ) it will start but fail to
connect to the first table.

Totally exhausted here trying to find an answer .. I have found Google ideas on adding Persistant Security Info=False to no avail.

Here is the connection string :

oRs := TOleAuto():New( "ADODB.Recordset" )
oRs:CursorType := 1 // opendkeyset
oRs:CursorLocation := 3 // local cache
oRs:LockType := 3 // lockoportunistic

cSQL := "SELECT * FROM utility WHERE progid ='"+xPROGID+"'"
TRY
oRS:Open(cSQL,'Provider='+xPROVIDER+';Data Source='+xSOURCE+';Initial
Catalog='+xCATALOG+';User Id='+xUSERID+';Password='+xPASSWORD )
CATCH oErr
MsgInfo( "Error in Opening UTILITY CRASH BURN table" ) /// dies here
RETURN NIL
END TRY

Again .. this app runs the executable flawlessly as a shortcut on the
workstation .. but the same app will not run sitting at the server running
the app ON the server ??

It seems to me that the Server is breaking the connection string and I just don't know what to change or to try as far as 'trusted sites' perhaps or some other Win2003 process that is keeping this app from connecting to the off site Sql Server.

Hope that makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA
Rick Lipkin

Postby R.F. » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:14 am

Rick:

Just an idea that came into me actually.

I think It could be the SQL Sever configurarion, I dunno if there's a parameter that let you allow the configuracion from the server.

In other database I've used before, you have to grant acces to the SYSTEM user in order to be able to connect from the console of the server instead from a workstation.

Just an idea.
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 am

Rene

I am thinking along the same lines .. here is the actual example .. we have a 2003 server as a Citrix remote access box .. the server acts like a workstation and logs into a Novell server that has the executable in question.

When you click on the short-cut the application noticibly starts .. but when the execution hits the first connection string .. it times out.

I decided to take Novell out of the picture and just take a pure 2003 server and put the ADO app on a share .. connecting to the share with a unc .. from my workstation .. the application runs flawlessly... Now, go to the server and drill to the share and the app and try to run it .. and that is where it breaks.

There is a a definite Server 2003 process that is intefearing with the ADO connection to the SQL server .. which is off site by the way.

So I am really looking for a silver bullet that will allow the application to run from the server console. We have over 5000 people in the Agency and this application is the Time and Reporting system.. Many of the folks tele-commute and access the program from Citrix .. thus bringing this problem to the forefront.

There has to be something in the Server that is breaking the connection .. just don't know what ..

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm

To All

This has been fixed .. turned out to be a DNS problem on the Win2003 servers ..

Thanks
Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour