How do I set ADS?

How do I set ADS?

Postby dutch » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:40 am

Dear ADS expert,

I download DEMO ADS 8.1 and install it. What I do the setup and configuration. I try create with existing database but it is a little bit confuse and I cannot go forward or what I should start to config?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Dutch
dutch

Postby R.F. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Dutch:

If it's already installed and running in your server, there's nothing else you need to do, you are ready to go.

Just make the changes I explained to you in your source code and your program is ready to ADS. Go ahead, compile and run, you will see the difference.

You will need to use a "DATA DICTIONARY" but that's very easy to implement, and there's no need to use it with free tables, but you will need to use it for internet connection.
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby dutch » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:08 am

Dear Rene,

I have many question in my head.

1. Do I have to create Data Dictionary for ADS only?
2. If I install correctly, why I can open file in ADS folder without permission?
3. Why I can delete file in ADS folder from Explorer easily?

Regards,
Dutch
dutch

Postby kokookao2007 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:28 am

Hi dutch :

in My experience , If you open two or more dbf files , use like "Set filter to" , "index on" , "set relation to" command in "ADS", maybe you will meet some Compatibile problem from "DBFCDX" TO "ADS".

for me ,Need edit some source code for "ADS" about 15-30% .
kokookao2007

Postby R.F. » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Dutch

Step by Step:

dutch wrote:1. Do I have to create Data Dictionary for ADS only?

Not at all, if you don't want, you don't have to create Data Dictionary, you can keep working with your tables as "free tables" using the same source code you are using actually, but is very important that when using the DBF tables you include the full path into the USE command in the UNC form:

USE \\server\share\folder\file.dbf

If work with local DBFs do the same:

USE .\local.dbf

or

USE c:\folder\file.dbf

DD Creation is necesary when you want to use the Internet Server, or when you want to use stored procedures, triggers or referential integrity.

Anyway to create a Data Dictionary is very easy, just go to the DATABASE option on the main menu of the ARC, create a new databases, add the tables, add users and that's all.

Minor changes have to be done in your source code to use DDs, simply use:

lConnect := AdsConnect60(<datadictionary>,<servertype>,<user>,<password>)

Will return true is the connection to the DD was succesfull, false if not.

Once connected to the DD, you can keep using your XBASE commands as usual (USE, APPEND REPLACE, etc).

Please notice that when using DDs, there's no need to incluye the path to the DBF file in your use command, just the name is needed since you are connected to a DD and the DD will handle all the paths stuff.

dutch wrote:2. If I install correctly, why I can open file in ADS folder without permission?

That's due your server configuration, you have to go to your server machine, and stop sharing the folder where the data is, in some cases you will have to share the folder with the data, but you will have to remove *ALL* the permissions to that folder except for the "SYSTEM" user. SYSTEM user should be the only user with read and write permissions to the folder where the data is.

In your source code add:

AdsRightsCheck(.F.)

This will skip the user rights checking, and the ADS programm will be able to go into the data in the server.

dutch wrote:3. Why I can delete file in ADS folder from Explorer easily?

As explained before, you have to remove the user access in the server configuration.

Regards

RF
http://www.google.com
Saludos
R.F.
R.F.

Postby dutch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:32 am

Dear Rene,

It's working perfectly.

Thanks&Regards,
Dutch
dutch

DBFCDX vs ADS Incompatible?

Postby dutch » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:33 am

Dear All,

I use ADS and got the problem that kokookao said. Sometime relation / filter is not correctly. What do I fix?
kokookao2007 wrote:Hi dutch :

in My experience , If you open two or more dbf files , use like "Set filter to" , "index on" , "set relation to" command in "ADS", maybe you will meet some Compatibile problem from "DBFCDX" TO "ADS".

for me ,Need edit some source code for "ADS" about 15-30% .

Regards,
Dutch
Regards,
Dutch

FWH 19.01 / xHarbour Simplex 1.2.3 / BCC73 / Pelles C / UEStudio
FWPPC 10.02 / Harbour for PPC (FTDN)
ADS V.9 / MySql / MariaDB
R&R 12 Infinity / Crystal Report XI R2
(Thailand)
dutch

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour