access to a supplier web site under program control

Re: access to a supplier web site under program control

Postby lailton.webmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Rich,

you could give details of what you want to do?

( if possible a sample code )
lailton.webmaster

Postby James Bott » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Tim,

It sounds like you are saying that they can't supply the data in XML (without a license), but they can in HTML?

They are supplying it in HTML now, so I presume that is acceptable. So, may Rick should stick to trying to parse the data out of the HTML page, rather than trying to get access via XML?

It seems tricky trying to charge your customers to use your website to buy your products.

James
James Bott

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 pm

James, Tim

Here is a screenshot of another programmers proof of concept.. It appears that the concept of querying multiple vendors is possible for a specific part and then collating the results in a single form.

The programmer is from Ohio and is not local and reluctant to sell or negotiate his product to my client.

I can not tell from the proof of concept if this is a real working application or just a mock-up .. In any case I wanted to see if it was possible to duplicate this effort.

Thanks
Rick Lipkin

Rick Lipkin

Postby TimStone » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Rich, James,

In the parts business there are two companies who "control the market". They have the systems in place in the warehouses used by the parts suppliers. They also provide software that can be integrated into a 3rd party package to access their systems. The search that this person wants to do would require that capability.

Rich, your client can obtain the software that does that job. However, he will have to pay a substantial monthly fee plus an upfront cost. If you want the rights to integrate one of those packages into software you are developing, then you will need to pay a very very steep licensing fee.

Your client may have access to websites where he can individually perform these searches, and you might be able to create a java script to perform those searches, but it won't be reliable, and every time a keystroke changes on the website, your system will have to be revised.

Talk to the vendors, but their contracts on their software systems will likely exclude them from cooperating. With many years of experience in this field, I've had the discussions and know it may be one of those contracts best set aside.

The vendors can tell your client who supplies the software he needs which is compatible with their warehouses.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby James Bott » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:13 pm

Tim,

>In the parts business there are two companies who "control the market".

This and your other reasons are why we have laws against monopolies. It is a shame that this is the situation.

Regards,
James
James Bott

Postby TimStone » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 pm

James,

It is not a monopoly. Other companies can be involved and build systems, etc. Some use their own proprietary systems, and the independents often provide a means to interact with their software.

The problem is that two different companies created management systems for parts houses and each has the ability to provide that data via an interface to the parts house clients. In addition, they both have interfaces available that will query centralized databases and report the current availability / stocking /pricing and delivery for specific parts, and even know what partnumbers to seek.

Because this is all tied to the services they provide to the parts warehouses, they control the whole system for their clients, and the licenses are very tight.

Independent developers can elect to interface to their system, but it will cost them. I don't agree with the pricing, but they have invested in these products and do have the rights to charge what they want. Often the pricing includes multiple site license guarantees and upfront purchases plus a "development fee". I'm sure the costs would far exceed what Rich would be paid to do this job.

This does not stop anyone from developing a competing system. It is simply a fact that over the past 20 years these two systems were developed and purchased by the majority of the parts houses. Yes, there are other systems out there ... many of them. Each of the independents would need to be contacted to learn how to interface with their product to get the data needed. Usually the interface is via an XML connection. It is a huge job, and personally I wouldn't do it for a single client with one location.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Lailton, Rick,

lailton.webmaster wrote:Rick,

http://www.fiveweb.com.br/curl-test/curl-test.rar

Note I access this url with Curl.exe make login and return me result:
http://www.fiveweb.com.br/curl-test/

( I don't know if is it that you wanna, more please test. )

:D

Do you keep a copy of that file ? That url seems not to work anymore...
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour