Listbox Headings Win32 Style

Listbox Headings Win32 Style

Postby dpaterso » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi,

Back on my favourite subject again!

How do you display those nice looking Listboxes (Browses) with the Headers that get underlined (usually with an orange stripe) when the mouse is moved over them (like the ListBoxes used in MS Outlook for example)?

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby Silvio » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 pm

Antonio let me sad perhaps to march version... Now he not have time to create it
Silvio

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:19 am

Thanks for the one reply!

I am also sad.

I mean to say that I have been banging on about the appearance and operation of the FiveWin ListBox Browse for a while now (since FiveWin v2.2) and nothing has changed.

The ability to browse and display data contained in database files is fundamental to any dBase / Clipper / FiveWin / xHarbour application; it is in my opinion the core of any system we write; so why has this code not been looked at or changed since its inception in FiveWin 1.92 (Demo)?

I know there are other browses available from other users but I don't need the extra features and functionality that these provide (and I did not pay for them either).

The FiveWin ListBox Browse is ideal for most applications in my opinion and just needs to be tidied up a bit.

We have all come a long way since FiveWin 1.92 (Demo). I mean to say all of the other 'little' things have been fixed like Icons that sometime worked, sometimes not and sometimes dissapeared, and applications written with FiveWin and xHarbour do have that professional and polished look with the exception of the FiveWin ListBox Browse Class!!!

What is needed in my opinion is the following (and anyone else interested in this subject please feel free to add to this list):

1 - The ability to set the height of the rows and headings and the text of the headings to be spaced correctly in proportion to the chosen height and chosen font for the browse.

2 - The headings to appear the same as any other XP application that has a data browse (like MS Outlook for example) i.e. underlined when mouse is moved over them just like FiveWin Win32 Headers.

3 - Correct operation of the vertical scroll bar (been on about this for just as long).

4 - The option to choose whether or not you want lines displayed between each record or field (although this is not critical in my opinion).

5 - Correct alignment of the vertical lines between fields in relation to their headings (the vertical lines have always been slightly offset to the right since FiveWin 2.2 and does not look very nice).

Thats it!

How difficult can these changes be to make for the people who actually developed the libraries?

We already have the Win32 Headers so how much more effort can be involved in including these on a ListBox Browse?

Even if I knew how to make these changes myself what would be the point? Every time there is a change or update to WBrowse for example I would have to make my changes again so that any other new changes made to WBrowse would not be missed and then there is always the risk that my changes would interfere with changes made by FiveTech.

Please can I have some input on this subject?

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby Silvio » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:18 am

You must ask to Antonio for Header 32 bit for listbox

I use also Wbrowse of Hernan, it have most command then wbrowse of linares ( example the hernan's wbrowse have footers but wbrowse of linares not have footers)

Regards
Silvio
Silvio

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 am

Thanks (Silvio) for the reply.

Ok - Antonio - please may I have Headers 32 for Listbox (with some sort of documentation if possible)?

Where can I download the latest version of Hernan's Browse from (although I still think that the changes and fixes that I suggested should be a part of the standard FiveTech FWH Libraries so I'm not going to give up on this)?

Edit by self:

I have just searched all of the message threads for Hernan's Browse and it would appear that when there are FWH and xHB updates problems can and do occur i..e Hernan has to make changes to keep up to date with any FWH and xHB changes or updates.

Also - what are you going to do if Hernan decides to stop updating his Browse?

For these reasons the changes or updates to FWH ListBox Browse should come from the FWH developer and should not be a third party add on!

Second edit by self:

Maybe I'm getting carried away with this but I don't see the point of Antonio spending time on, for example, providing the facility to allow the creation of transparent dialogs which look great but the ListBox Browse looks 'amateurish' at best. Like I said before - being able to display / browse data in data files is fundamental to all of this software so is this not more important?

And to anyone who says not to worry so much about the appearance of the ListBox Browse - it is only cosmetic - transparent dialogs are also only cosmetic!!!

Regards,

Dale.
Email: dpaterso@fleetfocus.net
Last edited by dpaterso on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dpaterso

Postby Silvio » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 am

Much time ago Hernan said me that it would have sended the new version wbrowse but still today we do not have the new version of the wbrowse.
the old version you can find on dbwide that it is now on the server of Viktor.com.mx

Try to call Hernan also

Regards
Silvio

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:01 am

Thanks Silvio,

Sorry - I was busy editing my previous post when your reply came through.

I am not going to pursue Hernan's Browse. These changes need to come from FiveTech themselves.

Antonio - please respond. I mean - other than the subject matter of my previous posts - you have a first class winning product.

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:20 am

Antonio,

I know you would rather 'overlook' this message thread (joking with you) but please could you respond.

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:06 am

Actually - what would be really nice is if the color of the scroll bar could be changed to that XP Style Light Blue (or any other color for that matter but this should be the default) instead of the boring standard darkish blue!

Still hoping.

Edit by self:

Sorry - I should be talking about the actual record highlight bar and not the scroll bars. The scroll bars (funny enough) are the ONLY things that ARE XP themed in the FWH ListBox Browse!!!

Dale.
Last edited by dpaterso on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dpaterso

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:20 am

dpaterso wrote:Actually - what would be really nice is if the color of the scroll bar could be changed to that XP Style Light Blue (or any other color for that matter but this should be the default) instead of the boring standard darkish blue!

Still hoping.

Dale.

FWH scrollbars are already XP themed if you activate themes for you app.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 am

Hello,

I do have XP Themes enabled i.e. all my buttons, windows, frames, etc. etc. appear XP Style (unless I am still doing something wrong)???

I do have the Windows.XP. Manifest defined as a resource in my .RES file. Is there anything else I need to be doing???

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:47 am

dpaterso wrote:Hello,

I do have XP Themes enabled i.e. all my buttons, windows, frames, etc. etc. appear XP Style (unless I am still doing something wrong)???

I do have the Windows.XP. Manifest defined as a resource in my .RES file. Is there anything else I need to be doing???

Regards,

Dale.

Can I see an image of your scrollbars?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:49 am

Sorry - I was talking about the actual record highlight bar not the scroll bars i.e. the scroll bars (as you quite correctly say) are XP Themed.

Sorry.

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 am

dpaterso wrote:Sorry - I was talking about the actual record highlight bar not the scroll bars i.e. the scroll bars (as you quite correctly say) are XP Themed.

Sorry.

Regards,

Dale.

Ok.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby dpaterso » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:36 am

No input yet?

Antonio - I promise to renew my FWH subscription FOR LIFE if you fix this :) :) :) (well at least for the next couple of years).

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterso

Next

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour