Is a compiled FIVEWIN/(x)HARBOUR program a C program?

Postby Detlef Hoefner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Do you all find it necessary to take such efforts for hiding the fakt that we are programming in xHarbour?

Must we fake to be competent c programmers?

I'm really interested about this,
Detlef
Detlef Hoefner

Postby George » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Must we fake to be competent c programmers?

That is not the problem.

The issue is MARKETING. If a programmer say that his software is written in C language, for sure he get more customers.

George
George

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:17 pm

It maybe, but it wouldn't be the truth.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Detlef Hoefner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:20 pm

George,

you might be right.

But by faking the knowledge of c language and hiding the use of xHarbour you continue serving the prejudice of C being the 'best' programming language.

Regards,
Detlef
Detlef Hoefner

Postby George » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:00 pm

Detlef,

For me the *best* language is [x]Harbour + FWH, because these are the languages (and the GUI) that I know. I am proud of using it

BTW, when any of my customer ask the question, I tell them that my software is developed using xBase language that is derived from Clipper and Dbase.
No one of them know about Clipper or Dbase and I never tell them about C language although some modules into my program are written in C.

Why you are upset?

To the best of my knowledge the C and C++ are the "Kings" of programming language.
Do you know that the clipper compiler itself was written in C.

Regards,

George
George

Postby Gale FORd » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:20 pm

A concern that I have is the designation of beta.
Gale FORd

Postby Detlef Hoefner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:55 pm

George,

sorry, i'm not upset.
But i can't stand the attitude of some programmers 'Oh, i'm just fumbling around with my little Clipper or xHarbour compiler'.

The quality of a program doesn't depend on the compiler language.
This is what we should claim.

I saw excellent programs written in Qbasic and very bad programs written with Delphi or MS Visual C++.

There is no need to get an inferiority complex because you are using xHarbour and FWH.
One must only be ashamed when not being able to write good applications with the compiler of your choice.

Still my 2 cents,
Detlef
Detlef Hoefner

Postby George » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:25 pm

Deftler,

The quality of a program doesn't depend on the compiler language.

I agree. The excellent software developed by our community is an example of this.

The problem of [x]Harbour vs C language is the same as DBF Vs RDBMS-SQL.

Although our friend Enrico does no want to believe. A software developed in C language with SQL as database is more easy to market than the same software written in [x]Harbour using DBF.

George
George

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 pm

George wrote:Although our friend Enrico does no want to believe.

???

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby George » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Marketing Enrico Marketing :)

Everyone know about C language and SQL.

George
George

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am

George wrote:Marketing Enrico Marketing :)

Everyone know about C language and SQL.

George

Maybe I was not clear:

It maybe, but it wouldn't be the truth.

I meant that it wouldn't be the truth that the application was written in C language.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby xProgrammer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:05 am

Hi all

I grant that users may have certain beliefs about a particular computer language or other development tool or environment and that these may well not be entirely rational. And I can certainly understand a client needing some reassurance re xBase (xHarbour / Harbour) and FWH which have relatively small user bases so that they could potentially disappear or replacement developers be almost impossible to locate.

But for most projects for which xBase is a sensible choice, I see very clear reasons for promoting xBase as a better choice than C. Good C code can be very efficient but it is substantially longer and more complicated to achieve the same outcome (ie more expensive to write, more prone to hidden errors such as memory leakage etc).

These days the discusssion might more likely be with other choices such as Java or Web apllication.

My advice would be to promote the benefits of xBase (and there are many) rather than try to pretend its something that it really isn't.

Regards
xProgrammer
xProgrammer

Postby fraxzi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:36 am

Hi guys!

Same here in the Philippines... If they (some programmer friends and users alike) ask me 'what is your programming language?'

I answered them proudly... 'xHarbour!' ...it's an opensource and the descendant of xbase family which has Win32 and Linux platform...

some says... it old.... and hardcoded... I say... can your VB do this... that...
and he just shut-up!
:lol:

One of my friend ask for source form xharbour and I gave him the .C (compiled by xharbour).... and said... 'Damn your good!' :lol:

My point is.... Lets just say 'xHarbour' and point him to xHarbour.org

2cents!

Regards,
Kind Regards,
Frances

Fivewin for xHarbour v18.07
xHarbour v1.2.3.x
BCC 7.3 + PellesC8 ( Resource Compiler only)
ADS 10.1 / MariaDB
Crystal Reports 8.5/9.23 DE
xMate v1.15
fraxzi

Postby Marco Turco » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi all,
I don't see a "real" problem to say "It is a C app" for the simply reason that xharbour generate a C source code for each prg module.

When I sign a software license agreement where I provide a software product for a distributor that will pay me a royalty for each copy it will sell, often the distributor (if it is a big distributor) require the deposit of sources on a thirth part (generally a public notary) in order to access this sources if a particular event will manifest (for example a bankroupt of my company that could be damage the distributor's end-user). The C source produced from xHarbour are always accepted because the distributor can generate the executable file simply using these C modules without any PRG source.
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby George » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:46 pm

That is interesting Marco.

George
George

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour