Syncronization

Syncronization

Postby Randal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:39 pm

All,

I'd like to know how some of you are handling moving data back & forth between the desktop and the pocketpc. How are you syncronizing the data on the pocketpc with the data on the desktop?

Thanks,
Randal Ferguson
Randal

Postby Rafael Clemente » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:53 pm

Randall:

I use MigthySync. You can download it here:
http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html
It is not free, but at US$ 5.95 it is a real bargain.

Among other things, this utility can sync both data in user RAM and in Removable storage.

Regarding the method of syncronizing, I guess it depends much on the nature of your application. In my case, my first adventure with FWPPC has been a very specialized CRM. I do not sync directly with the PC, but download some files from the PC to the Pocket (and viceversa). The storage card provides ample space for that. Then, I perform the sync off-line, record by record. It is a rather crude system, but it works fine and has proved to be quite inmune to user errors.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Rafael
Rafael Clemente

Postby Randal » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Rafael,

Thanks for the info. I'd prefer something that is royalty free if possible. Also, I was looking for something to sync individual records, not just whole files.

Thanks,
Randal Ferguson

Rafael Clemente wrote:Randall:

I use MigthySync. You can download it here:
http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html
It is not free, but at US$ 5.95 it is a real bargain.

Among other things, this utility can sync both data in user RAM and in Removable storage.

Regarding the method of syncronizing, I guess it depends much on the nature of your application. In my case, my first adventure with FWPPC has been a very specialized CRM. I do not sync directly with the PC, but download some files from the PC to the Pocket (and viceversa). The storage card provides ample space for that. Then, I perform the sync off-line, record by record. It is a rather crude system, but it works fine and has proved to be quite inmune to user errors.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Rafael
Randal

Postby Rafael Clemente » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Randall:
MSync is as close to royalty free as I can imagine, unless you want to distribute a large number of programs.

As for syncronizing individual records that is exactly what I am doing. The trick is to include two extra fields in each record: LastDatef and LastTime. Your app should keep these fields updated everytime you modify them. Once you have accomplished that, comparing records and updating when needed is quite straightforward.

Regards,

Rafael
Rafael Clemente

Return to FiveWin for Pocket PC