One Source, Multiple Builds

One Source, Multiple Builds

Postby TimStone » Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm

I have one very large application, and I only want to have one set of source code files. It is so much easier that way to maintain my program efficiently. However, I wanted to have a variety of build options.

To do this, I have all of my source .prg and .rc files in one folder which I have as a project in Ultra Edit Studio. In addition, I have .libs for FWH 32 and 64 bit, for Harbour 32 and 64 bit, xHarbour.com, and Microsoft Visual Studio 2015.

At the current time I can create .exe files from the following resources, and all work.

xHarbour .com version 32 bit
    MSVC 32 bit .bat/.mak build
    MSVC 64 bit .bat/.mak build
    Visual Studio 32 bit from IDE
    Visual Studio 64 bit from IDE

Why so many ? Actually the xHarbour build is for backwards compatibility for clients using older versions of the Advantage Database Server ( 7.0 - 8.1 ). The IDE allows for fast assembly after making code changes and then for testing. The .bat/.mak builds were because we had a display issue ( now solved ) with the IDE version. Also, we're still learning about settings in Visual Studio.

Of all of these options, I most prefer the Visual Studio 32 bit using the IDE. It is easy to use, and you can integrate Ultra Edit Studio with it as the editor of choice for the code. This gives me the largest flexibility.

There has been a report on here that people should uninstall Visual Studio 2013 if they put on the Free Visual Studio 2015 Community. Microsoft has said that is not necessary, and I have both installed on my primary development machine. They work just fine, and I see no problem with having both in place. I do have just Community 2015 on my testing computer and notebook, but I use the same source files on both.

As I stated originally, all my FWH based code is in one folder, and there is only one set of files. There is no need to have multiple source code sets for the various builds.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour