Report generator

Postby Otto » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 am

Hello Maurilio,

sure you are free to do what you want. I only said you shouldn’t waste your time because EasyReport is there.

As I do have experience with some other Report generators but I cane to say that EasyReport is really a good product.

What Silvio says that EasyReport is a own program is the main advantage.

So your program and your Reports are separated. You can change the Reports individually without changing your exe-files.
Also the print engine is a separated program. So your software is more stable.

I don’t believe you are able to develop a ReportGenerator with Designer and documentation like EasyReport has as a FiveWin open source code project.

What do you think you could do better or diverse from EasyReport?

Regards
Otto
Otto

Postby Richard Chidiak » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:54 pm

Hello

Sorry to jump in,

I also use Easy report and it is an excellent generator including it's source code. I handle lots of barcode printing also with it and it is easy to use.

I agree with Otto, there are many other more important issues to develop for fivewin.

example A real good browser ! Today we have fwh native browser, Hernan's twbrowse that is out of date (no more updates), Tsbrowse that is no more supported, txbrowse ...

None of them is really adapted to today's world. We need themed browses with multi select lines , very fancy ..etc

My 2 cents

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Richard Chidiak

Postby Armando Picon » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Good Silvio!!!

Go ahead with your project, we support to you
FWH + BCC582 + WorkShop 4.5 + Resource Hacker + Mingw
Mis nuevas herramientas
Comunicacion via WhatsApp (+51) 957549 665
Comunicación via Correo: apic1002002 at yahoo dot es; apic1002002@gmail.com
Armando Picon

Postby jose_murugosa » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Good work Silvio!!!!

Go ahead!!!

All Fivewin Community will be pleased!
Saludos/Regards,
José Murugosa
FWH + Harbour + Bcc7. Una seda!
jose_murugosa

Postby RAMESHBABU » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Silvio

"Every brain has its own uniqueness and nothing is impossible."

Go ahed.. Don't look back.
My best wishes to you.

Regards

- Ramesh Babu P
RAMESHBABU

Postby Maurilio Viana » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Otto wrote:I don’t believe you are able to develop a ReportGenerator with Designer and documentation like EasyReport has as a FiveWin open source code project.

Otto,

Your comments and opinions are welcome. But I believe you don't know about me enough to say what I'm able or not able to develop.
Then let's stop this type of comment for here. Because I think you are going to promote a little "war" between us. And I want not to enter in it.
I accept and receive your opinion. You are free to say what you think. But respect mine and don't say what I'm able to do or develop.
If you think EasyReport is good to you I think the same. I don't use it but I tested times ago. RD is a very good product and the best: is made with Fivewin.
What you couldn't do is say what I must do or not do...

Best regards,
Maurilio
Maurilio Viana

Postby Maurilio Viana » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:03 pm

Richard Chidiak wrote:example A real good browser ! Today we have fwh native browser, Hernan's twbrowse that is out of date (no more updates), Tsbrowse that is no more supported, txbrowse ...

None of them is really adapted to today's world. We need themed browses with multi select lines , very fancy ..etc

Richard,

For other side... I use FWH's TxBrowse and it is good to me.
And I can't say you are wrong. For God!
I think we must organize into "groups" with "special requeriments" and join efforts to things we need. Like report generators, browsers and what come.

Best regards,
Maurilio
Maurilio Viana

Postby Otto » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Hello Maurilio,
Please read the whole sentence. I don’t believe that you are able to develop a ReportGenerator as a FiveWin open source project.

I am in this community since version 1.4 of FiveWin (I think it was 1994) and I know this group. I think at the moment you do not find
Fivewinners who contribute.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Maurilio, if your photo is up to date you are one of the new generation Fivewinners and time is not so as valuable for you as for people
who are 20 years older and must earn their money.

Regards
Otto
Last edited by Otto on Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otto

Postby jose_murugosa » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Please people, NO WAR please, It is good to share opinions with respect.

I understand both points of view, but Im using with FWH at least 20 different classes like btnget, filexls, tword, texcels, and more and compiling my applications with VerCE, all personal projects of (in their time) "new generation of fivewiners" people with time to dedicate to it that teaches us a lot and contribute to make more friendly our work.

So "New generation" you are specially wellcome!!! I hope we will have new generatios allways of people with dreams and desires to make FWH better, if not, FWH will die in a few years.

Just an example, I saw two weeks ago an statistic that shows that 90% of fivewiners use Verce and xmate for making their applications.

If you consider that both are personal, no fivetechsoft projects, you can see how important are this contributions.

On the other side I understand you Otto, I am in the same position, when you need to get your money, it is difficult to find time to come to this kind of projects, so let the "new generation" do it, its their time to dream.

Anyway, this invitation is for Antonio:

I would like to see Fivetechsoft participation in projects that could be good for FW - FWH, giving strong support to this young programmers, I believe they are the future of FWH, and that if you work all together then this products could be integrated to FW and then have a garantee a permanent support, when they are finished.

Im see now that some of the classes I use don´t have support and gradually I´m replacing them with others native of FWH.
Saludos/Regards,
José Murugosa
jose_murugosa

Easy Report

Postby TimStone » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:57 am

Otto,

I'm not intending to be negative, but I was surprised to see that Easy Report is still around. It didn't seem that long ago that I saw posts on a couple of boards looking for the developer, but he didn't respond over a very long period of time.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative here ... but I was curious if that is still an active product with full support.

Tim :D
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby reinaldocrespo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:31 am

Tim;

Now that you mention it; I own the comercial version of easy report. Experienced a few problems. Was always hard, very had to get support. On one ocassion I could not keep waiting to get something working. So I went back to treport. I think you make a very good a point.

I was also a user of gxreports from Rene Pilon. Excellent idea but was never stable and finnally abandoned by Rene.

IMHO; a full open-source visual report designer, or something similar to the GxReports idea, would be ideal for the fw community. No doubt. But this is a project that needs to be adopted by Antonio and made fully open source.

Reinaldo.
reinaldocrespo

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:53 am

José,

FiveWin was originally developed in 1993. And it remains very well alive for 16 years now :-)

Along this time many products have appeared and dissapeared (Visual Objects, Visual dBase, etc.) and FiveWin remains alive and has a growing users base! :-)

FiveTech always promoted new users to develop addons, utilities, etc for FiveWin. We are open to it. In fact FiveWin is a tool with lots of utilities and addons available for it.

In these recent past years, our strongest commitment was to help users migrate from 16 bits to 32 bits. We can say today that it has been a great success. Most of you are using FWH and Harbour/xHarbour :-) We started the Harbour project as we believed that Harbour was the most important development to be done.

These days the FiveWin users are highly experienced Windows programmers able to create whatever applications they can think about. We have PC, Pocket PC and Linux FiveWin versions. FiveWin users can develop many different applications to satisfy many different requirements and clients.

We all have grown. FiveWin users are excellent Windows programmers now, many of you have created your own large companies using FiveWin. The FiveWin community has helped many of us

What I say it may be obvious, but sometimes we forget it :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby jose_murugosa » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:25 am

>FiveTech always promoted new users to develop addons, utilities, etc for FiveWin. We are open to it. In fact FiveWin is a tool with lots of utilities and addons available for it.

I know that, I see a lot of this addons in the Utilities forum, what I say is that I would like to see a better integration betwen this developers and Fivewin, so their products may have permanent support even if they leave them.

>FiveWin was originally developed in 1993. And it remains very well alive for 16 years now, along this time many products have appeared and dissapeared (Visual Objects, Visual dBase, etc.) and FiveWin remains alive and has a growing users base!

The only thing I meen is that without "new genetations" software disappear, so it is really important to respect them in their projects, many times they dedicate a lot of time in investigation that other users can´t, that was the point of this topic: "a project of report generator", not the permanence of Fivewin, I didn´t meen that Fivewin was to disappear and I don´t think so, I´m sure you agree with me that Fivewin continues strong because it "has a growing users base" as you said, in other words, there are new generations permanently coming, THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I MEEN.
Last edited by jose_murugosa on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saludos/Regards,
José Murugosa
jose_murugosa

Postby reinaldocrespo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:19 pm

FiveTech always promoted new users to develop add-ons, utilities, etc for FiveWin

Precisely! And most of them disappear after a while. Unless it is somehow adopted or supported by FiveTech, its future is uncertain.

I wonder if Crystal Reports is a fast-viable-powerful solution to the reports designer dilemma. If it is, all we need is good documentation on how to interact with it from fwh and have fivetech promote its use and support it via class calls, etc... That's all. Then have other users help via the forum on FWH-CR problem solving, tricks, and ideas.

EMI- What's your opinion; could CR be the answer? What are the shortcomings of using CR? Does xhb prof have a reports designer? Does xalier? or any other xbase lang for that matter?

(these are honest questions not rhetorical)

Reinaldo.
reinaldocrespo

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:58 pm

reinaldocrespo wrote:I wonder if Crystal Reports is a fast-viable-powerful solution to the reports designer dilemma.

I used it for years with Visual Basic and personally hate Crystal Reports. I don't recommend it for any serious work.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour