error.log not writable

error.log not writable

Postby byte-one » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:08 pm

I found, that in VISTA the error.log are not writable, if the programm runs in Program Files folder and the user are not administrator! This error.log should in this cases writing to another directory!? Also should to every programm, that uses VISTA, included a modified manifest!
MfG
Günther
Regards,
Günther
---------------------------------
office@byte-one.com
byte-one

Re: error.log not writable

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:32 pm

byte-one wrote:I found, that in VISTA the error.log are not writable, if the programm runs in Program Files folder and the user are not administrator! This error.log should in this cases writing to another directory!?

Try using the following command:

SET ERRORLOG TO <cLogFile> [ADDITIVE]

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby StefanHaupt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:49 pm

Günther,

in Vista it is not allowed to normal users to write in the "program files" directory and its subfolders. It´also not possible to have the dbf´s in the program dir. I would put the data with write acess in the users or all users directory. There you can also write the errorlog, see Enrico´s answer.

If I remember right, there is a new manifest for Vista, but the old one for XP works fine without problems.
kind regards
Stefan
StefanHaupt

VISTA

Postby byte-one » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:56 am

There is an "order" from Microsoft, all executable programs should be in the directory Program Files but NO!! data. The errorlog writes automatically to the directory from the EXE and this is not allowed.
Also in VISTA it is required, to use an anhanced manifest. Add these to your manifest:

<!-- Identify the application security requirements. -->
<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
<security>
<requestedPrivileges>
<requestedExecutionLevel
level="asInvoker|highestAvailable|requireAdministrator"
uiAccess="false"/>
</requestedPrivileges>
</security>
</trustInfo>

MfG
Günther
Regards,
Günther
---------------------------------
office@byte-one.com
byte-one

Postby driessen » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 am

Günther,

It is not true that the error.log is written in the directory of the EXE-file.

My application runs on the local disk and the data are on the networkdisk. The directory of the data is the current disk and the current directory. It is to this directory that the error.log is written.

With a little enhancement to the errsysw.prg, the directory where the error.log will be written, can be changed quite easily.
Regards,

Michel D.
Genk (Belgium)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
I use : FiveWin for (x)Harbour v. 24.07 - Harbour 3.2.0 (February 2024) - xHarbour Builder (January 2020) - Bcc773
driessen

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour