Question about Memo Field Storage Strategy?

Question about Memo Field Storage Strategy?

Postby Otto » Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:18 am

Hello friends,

The tests with low-level file access to DBF are encouraging. One can forget about so much overhead - please note that I am making these considerations for use on a WEBSERVER or in an RDP environment.
Also, the file sizes in the area I am working in are manageable.

I also think that for your own application, you do not necessarily have to follow the standard.

I have a question about the storage of memo fields and their impact on performance, especially assuming that you are using the current version of Windows and have a fast SSD installed.

Specifically, I am considering whether it makes sense to store memo fields in separate files.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations on this topic under Windows with a fast SSD?
Are there any best practices or special tools that are particularly suitable for such scenarios? I look forward to your opinions and tips!

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Re: Question about Memo Field Storage Strategy?

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:45 am

Theoretically, keeping separate files improves performance.
But we perceive difference in performance only in case of
1. Large files
2. Access DBFs over network ( LAN or WAN )
In other cases, keeping memos in the same table simplifies programming.
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Postby cnavarro » Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:45 am

Dear Otto, remember that Harbour does not allow encrypting tables with memo fields.
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

Postby Otto » Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:34 am

Dear Christobal,

Thank you.

I have different requirements compared to many here; my databases contain few records, usually no more than 30,000-100,000 records.
I also have no network access, as I work on the server via RDP or with mod_harbour.

What is significantly increasing are notes about customers or products, which I have previously inserted into the memo file. Also, pictures.
Having these "memos" in different files allows me to start a full-text search with PS and have immediate direct access to the hits:
Link to forum post
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44596&p=270763&hilit=powershell&sid=f305aab7597289c7306a74f445bb62cf#p270763

>This simplifies programming.
I am currently working on low-level access to DBF.
I think that once I have implemented the basic functions, it will be very easy and extremely fast.
You don't even notice how much unnecessary overhead you accumulate with RDD.

Indexes are still a problem, but I think that with fast SSDs, indexes don't affect filtering and access that much. So, I plan to dismiss them.

SQL is not an alternative for such lightweight, small applications like mine. Additionally, you are limited in developing ideas with fixed formats.

When I worked with "FiveWin for Pocket PC," we didn't have a database either. Back then, I used lock files similar to how Excel or Word does it.
I think now with mod_harbour, I will solve it similarly. rlock() and flock() seem a bit unstable on the web.
It is also dangerous if the indexes are not 100% synchronized because a wrong record might be updated or deleted.

I think that the file system is underutilized as a database structure. It is difficult for us older folks to rethink.
I can still remember how the speed would drop with Windows 2000 and earlier if you had many files in a directory, and I recall that 20,000 was a limit.

But today, everything is fast and without limits.

Best regards,

Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour